cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Fixes for New Pixel 4 Users – Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Quick Fixes for New Pixel 4 Users – Sprint Product Ambassadors

Pixel4_Tile01.jpg

So, it’s been a while since I’ve tried a Google smartphone and truth be told, my only experience had been with a Nexus 5 and that was quite some time ago.  The Pixel 4 (for me) is new and fresh and different.  I also decided to go with a Pixel 4 rather than a Pixel 4 XL, which is a bit of change stepping back to smaller screen platform.

First thing I found was a few hiccups, in how Google does things. They aren’t necessarily good or bad but required a bit of attention to make the phone what I needed it to be.

• Gesture Navigation: The first thing you may notice is the absence of the normal three buttons on the bottom of the screen. This is because at default, Google favors “Gesture Navigation”. Now I haven’t read too much on “Gesture Navigation”, perhaps it’s quicker, better or reminiscent of a certain fruit company but I do know I’m slow to adopt change and I need my three buttons. Good news: The buttons are still there and you just need to find the right setting.  Go to “Settings”, “System” and pick “Gestures” and tap on “System Navigation” and choose “3-Button navigation”.  **Poof**, problem solved.
  • Auto-Rotation: For some reason, this was turned off at default. Go to “Settings”, “Display” and pick “Advanced” and toggle “Auto Rotate Screen” on.
  • Screen Timeout: When in that same “Advanced” tab, you might also consider making your “Screen Timeout” a bit less aggressive. I think default is 30 sec and I set mine to 2 Mins.  Alternately, there is another setting on the same “Display” screen for “Screen Attention” which might help as well. “Screen Attention” uses your front camera to determine if someone is looking at the screen and won’t turn off until someone looks away from the front camera.
  • Night Light: Also on the “Display” screen is a setting called “Night Light”. This is basically the blue light filter that has become popular on phones and tablets in recent years. Strangely enough though, Google looks to favor this for daytime hours by default and I needed to set a custom schedule to mimic how other phones behave.  I personally set a start time of 9PM and end time of 6AM.
  • Battery Percentage: Another thing that is oddly turned off is showing the battery percentage in the top status bar. This is fixed by going to “Settings”, “Battery” and toggling “Battery Percentage”

I’m sure there are more little tweaks that I’ll be changing here and there but the most important thing to take away from all this, is the Pixel can easily be tailored to what you’re used to.  Although the Google way isn’t what I’m used to, it may be an easier migration for someone coming from the iOS platform and others. In coming weeks, you’ll see a much better picture painted of what the Pixel 4 can do and how this tailored for me version works for me.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment
Gesture Navigation is cool if you don't want anyone else to be swiping through your phone. Show them a photo full screen they have no idea how to get to the rest of your photos!