cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound ON for the Pixel: My favorite podcast app on my Pixel 4XL - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Working out, going for a walk, powering through some afternoon projects...all seem to be more enjoyable when my mind can be "whisked away" in a podcast.

For podcasts, I love the Google Podcasts app. It has all the features that I love in a podcast app, plus the library is amazing. I've tried other apps. Most of them can handle all the "basic" podcast duties. But Google Podcasts has an amazing, easy-to-navigate interface coupled with the best features. 

Screenshot_20200210-133951.png   

Basic app features: The listening interface has convenient "Rewind 10 seconds" and "FF 30 seconds" buttons on either side of the Play/Pause button. These allow you to rewind by 10 sec. intervals, or jump ahead in 30 sec. intervals (great for skipping in-pod ads). 

Below those buttons is a podcast progress track bar. And below that are handy menus for extra "bonus" features of the app, including a sleep timer (the "quarter moon" icon in the middle) and playback speed control (the "1.0x" menu to the left).

sleep timersleep timer  

With the sleep timer, you can configure Google Podcasts to stop playing at a set amount of time, or at the end of the current podcast. This is handy if you like drifting off to sleep while listening to spoken word.

playback controlplayback control

The Playback control is my favorite feature of Google Podcasts, and that which really make the app stand out. When you tap the playback speed button, you get to a menu that allows you to control the speed of the podcast playback. There is a "dial" control that allows you to shift the speed of playback from 0.5x (half of normal playback speed...really slow, good for when you need to maximize concentration, or perhaps annunciation of the words being spoken), all the way up to 3.0x playback speed (really, really fast talking!).

And then there's the "Trim silence" button! YAY! This is my favorite of all features. When you click "Trim silence" the app will skip over any momentary pauses of silence. It's a beautiful thing!

It's pretty amazing how much "wasted time" are in most podcasts due a few seconds of silence here and there, especially those with interviews. Once you start playing around with the playback speed (I prefer 1.5x), and then take advantage of the "Trim silence," you realize that you can easily get through a 60 min long podcast episode in 35-40 min, maybe less.

The Pixel 4XL doesn't have a headphone jack, so I use Bluetooth headphones in the office, and BT earbuds when I'm more active. According to the specs, the Pixel 4/4XL support all the latest and best Bluetooth specs and sound profiles: Bluetooth 5.0 + LE (HD codecs: AptX, AptX HD, LDAC)

Drop me a comment with your favorite podcasts and let me know why you like it. I'm all about checking out new material!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee