cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Powered by the Samsung S8 and 1million Project

Sprint Product Ambassador

In our connected country, for many of us, it is hard to imagine life without a smartphone and access to the internet. Now imagine being a student trying to do research for a class project or submitting homework online without direct access to a network.

It will surprise many to learn this is the norm for millions of young people in our country every day. This “digital divide” is real and those without access are at a disadvantage when it comes to learning and preparing for a working world requires tech skills to succeed.

From the Sprint CEO

“Education is the foundation for our society to prosper, and the internet is an incredibly powerful tool for learning. But it’s a huge problem in America that we have 5 million households with children that lack internet connections. Those kids have a huge disadvantage and we are failing them. All of us at Sprint are committed to changing this by providing 1 million students in need with free devices and free wireless connections.”

Marcelo Claure, Sprint CEO

Screenshot_20170625-092541-COLLAGE.jpg

My employer is serious about using the resources we have as a corporation to make a positive difference for disadvantaged young people. It is the goal of the 1million project to provide free data connected devices to 1 million high school students in need for the reliable network connection that Sprint can provide.

Samsung is just one of the many generous Sprint partners that are working together to provide these devices. Employees and customers are pitching in too by donated used devices, volunteering time and donating cash.

For my part, I have taken on a challenge to run the San Francisco half-marathon with over 100 of my fellow employees to help raise awareness of the 1million Project and show the power of tech to help folks reach their personal best.  Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure will be there too in the mix of the thousands of runners to show his support for young people in need.

The Galaxy S8 has been a perfect training partner along with my Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headset, Garmin Vivoative HR and Strava App.

I am a flat land Oklahoma guy and running the famous hills of San Francisco is going to be a challenge for sure. To be successful, it has been important to maximize my limited training time to be smart with my runs. The Galaxy S8 has helped for sure during this process to ensure I am focused and have the feedback I need. Things I have especially appreciated have been the amazing battery time and the water resistance.

I am estimating my run time to be a little over two hours and have worked to simulate this time through long training runs here at home and while traveling for work. Even after two hours of running with music going, Strava app active and of course a constant flow of e-mail as well as other notifications I have found the battery to be a champ with hours of time remaining for use the rest of the day.

Another great point of comfort is the water resistance of the Galaxy S8. The phone is IP68-rated water and dust resistant which means it is certified to still work even if submerged in close to five feet of water up to 30 minutes. It is also resistant to dust.

I have been training 100% outdoors through all kinds of conditions including rain and buckets of sweat. It is especially comforting to know my very expensive device is going to be just fine if caught in a rainstorm while out on a run.

Like most people, I just do not feel safe out running long without the ability to call for help if needed. Plus, I, of course, need to be ready right at the end of the run to share my Strava results to all that follow me on social media.

Now as I am less than two weeks away from the run, I am thankful to Samsung, Sprint, Marcelo Claure and the many others that are supporting connections for those who need them. It feels good to part of an organization that is working hard to make a positive difference for others. 

Want to learn more about the 1million project or be part of providing digital connections for students in need? Go here to learn more. Go here to sponsor a runner

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

...and the Samsung Health app on the S8/S8+ is a great addition. You can set step goals, track miles and time, measure heart rate and so much more. I wish I had this device when I ran the NY marathon. That said, I do 6 mile runs 4-5 times per week with my S8 Plus and Bose Soundsport Pulse headphones  in NYC and it's an absolute dream.  As you mentioned rain or shine I have nothing to worry about. The headphones stand up too.. if you're looking for some that won't die from sweat... 

Have a great 1/2 marathon. Let us know how it goes.