cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra High Def Wired Sound on the Samsung Note 10+ - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Galaxy Note 10 has but a single USB C port on the bottom.  So, you'll need a USB C to Headphone jack - many are sold, and reviews are mixed; some are reported as 'fine' other report that the sound level is dropped considerably.  Well, lets work all the way around that.

We'll start with a USB C to USB A full size adapter.  From there, we'll plug in an external DAC - that's the digital audio to analog audio converter.  I used the Audioquest Dragonfly Red model; always wanted one and this review was a great excuse to buy one. From the Dragonfly, you simply plug in your high end wired headphones - Grado SR series, Audio Technica M50x (as shown) or many others. 

Note10-with-USB-C-Audio.jpgInterestingly, 'it just works'.  The Samsung Note recognizes that an external audio device has been plugged in and routs the sound from VLC or Samsung Music to your DAC and to your headphones! Sound quality out of the box with the Dragonfly Red is impressive.

USB C to A adapter with Audioquest Dragonfly DACUSB C to A adapter with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC

Once you have wired headsets connected the Samsung Note opens up more options in the settings - you can turn on Dolby Atmos, use UHQ Up-scaling, set personalized sound profiles based on your age - really tweak the sound to match your ears and headphones! 

Note 10+ Additional Audio SettingsNote 10+ Additional Audio Settings

This setup is ideal for playing back lossless compressed high resolution (HD) tracks - the demo album I like to use is an Alan Parsons track from I, Robot, encoded at 32 bits, 352kHz sampling rate.  That's the highest sampling rate and bit depth I've found.

In summary - it's quite possible to set up a high end listening system with your Galaxy Note 10+ and listen to audiophile quality recordings over audiophile grade headphones. It all just starts with a USB C to USB A adapter!

Hope this helps you to enjoy your music!

Will England

Disclaimers: All products mentioned in this review were purchased by me, and I received no compensation for using them in this review. In no way should this be considered an endorsement of these products by Sprint. The phone was provided to me under the Product Ambassadors program.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee