cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the LG V60 5G ThinQ standalone without Dual Screen – Really all the device you need!

Sprint Product Ambassador

I really like the V60 ThinQ 5G Dual Screen, but there are times when I just want a smart phone without the giant brick attachment. Yes, the dual is a brick, but oh what a joyful powerhouse of a brick it is! It’s a productivity device for the multi-tasker (like me).

Still, when I go out I don’t always need to dual screen. Granted, I’m not going out a lot during COVID, but I have been able to make it down to the beach. So, I ditched the dual screen and just the phone on it’s own is nice for a change.  

Few things I noticed right away when removing the case.

Style:

First, the V60 is a really elegant looking device. I forgot how nice it is because it’s been locked up in that black case. Without the dual screen case, it’s really slick – nice rich looking color scheme, nice materials and overall classy. It’s still heavy, but by comparison to the dual screen version it’s a LOT lighter.

Speed:

Now this could just be in my head, but I feel like without dual screen the phone feels faster and smoother to scroll and run apps. I’m not saying it was slow before, because it definitely wasn’t. I’m just saying it seems to render everything even quicker. 

Oh - the 5G is NO joke either. My LG V60 is CRUISING on the T-Mobile 5G network. I'm seriously loving the network and speed on this thing in NY and NJ.

Battery:

The battery lasts SO long. I’m at the end of 36 hours with moderate use and ready to plug it in. Plugging in this device without the dual screen attachment to the fast charger gets me up to 50% in 30 minutes! The ease of charging is nice too. I don’t have to remember the dual screen attachment.

Charging wirelessly I find the phone doesn’t get nearly as hot either.

Bells and Whistles:

Generally speaking, people always go for the newest devices with all the extra bells and whistles. In my experience, many of those high cost features go unused, or may be used only once or twice and then forgotten. In some instances they’re just (dare I say) gimmicks.

In the case of the V60 it’s probably got enough of the bells and whistles for 80-90% of smartphone users without all the excessive overlays, bloat and fancy tricks/features for a lot less $.

I love the gestures on this handset by the way. It took me a minute to get used to on-screen gestures, like swiping left to middle to go back for example, or swiping up to see open apps and then swiping them away…etc. But now I find myself trying to use the same gestures on other devices that aren’t capable of them. They’ve become second nature and I enjoy using them.

Camera:

The camera is fantastic. The pictures and comments about the pictures… wow! People have asked me what type of ‘camera’ I use. Even my Apple purist friends have commented on what great pictures I take… and then I tell them it’s my LG phone. I’m not exaggerating this.  I have to admit, I do take care to frame my shots and take my time with my pictures, which a lot of people don’t. That probably helps.

One picture I’ll share via Juxtapose is of 2 friends of mine during a sunset (the faces were blurred to protect the innocent 😝 ).

The first picture on the left is just point and shoot. As you can see, because the sun is behind them my friends are shadowed and dark.

The picture on the right is after I tapped on the screen on my friends, and wow the difference. The phone automatically brightened my friends… it did have an impact on the sunset as well and the entire picture, but it’s still pretty incredible that it can automatically add light (open shutter?) to get the subject in full color and brightness.

Use the white scroll bar in the center of the pictures to move left or right to see the difference.

Review continued after the pictures too - but have to scroll down some. Weird formatting. 

So, I think that’s about it for now. I still really like this device with and without the Dual Screen. The sound quality is also awesome.  

Oh, add-on.

Prior to this device I was using the OnePlus 7Pro 5G. I really love that device too… One thing I thought I would miss when moving to the LG V60 is the edge to edge display. The V60 has more of a bezel and isn’t edge to edge, but in all truth I didn’t even notice, and even now it’s an afterthought.  Just worth mentioning I guess.

Have any questions, thoughts or tips on the LG V60 ThinQ 5G? Let me know!

Really slick looking device!

V60Front.png

V60Side.jpgV60Back.jpg

   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I am super lucky to be able to take part in the Sprint/T-Mobile Device Ambassador program. The Product Ambassadors love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of  devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassadors shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint, T-Mobile or the device manufacturers. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. My opinions are my own. I am a Device Ambassador and Blogger... I am not a Corporate or Device Manufacturer spokesperson. #SprintProductAmbassador 

#LG, #LGG8ThinQ, #LGDualScreen, #DualScreen, #LGCase, #Foldable, #LGV60, #LGV60ThinQ, #5G, #LGV605G, #LGV60DualDisplay, #LGV60DualScreen, #ThinQ

5g,ambassadors,DualScreen,Foldable,lg,LGCase,LGDualScreen,LGG8ThinQ,LGV60,LGV605G,LGV60DualDisplay,LGV60DualScreen,LGV60ThinQ,Product Ambassador Blogs,stretch,ThinQ 

9 Comments
GrandMaster

the gestures deal took me off guard..took me a bit to try and learn that one..i need to look up and see if there are additional gestures to use other than prior apps and back..screen shot without using the volume down/power button possibly? or just a full exit out of an app or whatever it is someone is currently doing?

and agreed on the second screen set up..many uses for it but for the average person it would probably only be a here and there type of deal..with the second screen its still a pretty good looking device..without though its a stunner.

Wizard

I personally believe the V60 is the most underrated smartphone of the year. Unfortunately at the time it came out Sprint did not have it, so i bought it on T-Mobile and while I still use my Sprint Note 10+, I now use it as a back up device and have placed the V60 as my main one.
I agree with the review and my observations are as follows...

Looks / Style / Weight:

The V60 by itself is pretty sweet. In stand alone mode, it looks great in that blue. Slender and sleek. But since I always cover my phones, especially ones that are covered in glass front and back, I put on a case to protect them. With a case (and usually a wallet type that protects the front and back), it reduces the beauty of the naked phone. Now with the dual case accessory on, it propels the phone into another category altogether. Weight and thickness is just like having a folio/wallet case. But the beauty of the dual case is that secondary screen, which leads me to the following section. Now the dual case has a glass front, but I covered that in vinyl wrap to protect it as well. 

Features..

The V60 (both in phone only mode and in dual screen mode) the screen(s) are bright, clear and quite responsive. Both screens allow for wacom stylus support. This alone made it my main device over my Note 10+.  In dual screen mode, having the ability to do more with two screen is nothing short of amazing. Granted there are other phones both current and upcoming that have two screen, that fold, etc but the V60 gives me the same ability for half the price. Audio wise, with the quad dac, listening to music, podcasts etc, brings new meaning to high fidelity. SD card, Headphone jack, macro functions, Desktop (Dex like) support. It gives more instead of taking away like other brands are doing. No need over the top features like 120hz screen (which will eat up battery life), speaking of battery life, man can this phone last. Even with the dual case, it still lasts longer than my Notes. 

Camera / photos / video

The camera I find, depending on the situation, for the most part takes better photos than my Note 10+. Colors are more natural and not over saturated. This is using the default auto settings which is usually what I use for on the fly/at the moment shots. But the phone really shines in manual / pro mode which gives you way more control to get that perfect shot. The settings available are nothing I've seen except in way more highly expensive models (like Sony's latest). Even secondary play store camera apps don't come close. In video mode, the higher bitrate audio capture is superb. The 4k video and 8K capture is something I am still floored by. 

Signal strength...

When I first got it, the T-Mobile signals were not as good as Sprints in NYC. As time goes by, it got better and better. Wi-fi wise, the phone really is able to find a signal better than my Note. 

Final Thoughts...

As I mentioned at the beginning, it is the most underrated phone of the year. It Gives you more for less and whether one buys it without the dual case, it is still a pretty solid formidable handset that can compete head on with so many others. With the dual case, it brings it to another level that also competes nicely with other dual screen/foldable devices.

TS out

@fireguy_6364 

I am using the on screen gestures for forward and back pages. I just received an Android 10 update on my Samsung Tablet that also has similar gestures. I feel like they work quicker and smoother on the V60, though my tab is a couple of years old.  

Of course, we forget about the tap to wake gesture that I'm pretty sure started with LG too. I know others have followed suit... 

You can use the volume buttons to dismiss/snooze or silence your alarm - needs to be set up in the clock app though. 

Let me know if you find any other gesture capabilities. May even be worth messing with another launcher to see what can be done... but I'm not that adventuresome at the moment lol. 

@twospirits - great review! I have a few questions for you... 

• Vinyl wrap for the dual screen front cover glass? What did you use?
  • WACOM stylus - tell me more. What can you do with it and how do you personally use it?
  • Desktop (Dex like) support? Do tell... 

I have to agree with you on a lot of points. That battery life with and without dual screen is insane compared to others. Also, all the features including micro SD support, DAC, Headphone jack... and that camera! Yes, it's just amazing. I'll be messing around with pro-mode while on vaca next week. Not going far (COVID anyone?). Will see what I come up with - especially sunrise/sunset shots and hopefully some action surf too.  

Signal Strength for me has been a different experience than yours for some reason - and I'm in NYC too. I've always been on Sprints network. When I lit up this V60 it activated through Sprint, but it's using the T-Mobile 5G network and I'm just thrilled with the results. I have always had a great experience using Sprint service in NYC, but this device has shown me download speeds of 130 Mbps and Uploads of over 33.  Using the V60 for surfing, listening to music, streaming video etc. has had zero latency or buffering. I have to imagine part of that is the processing power of the device as well. 

I agree - super underrated phone with top of the line specs at a better price than the rest in its class. 

Great review TS! Appreciate you sharing. 

GrandMaster

@NewYork_NY  i'll have to mess with gestures tonight..never did mess with them to much because they were usually a bit hit and miss working wise..

GrandMaster

@NewYork_NY  speaking of hand gestures...where did you find them? i cant seem to locate that area.

Wizard

Settings, Display, Notification Bar.

GrandMaster

dangit..didnt even think to look there lol.

Wizard

@NewYork_NY

Vinyl wrap for the dual screen front cover glass? What did you use?
For the Vinyl wrap I created...

• -a template in photoshop of the front glass of the dual case.
  • -bought a navy Blue Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap from Amazon. (search for B00FXYG1AG).
  • -used a precision knife (B06Y61FGSK) or any sharp exacto knife will do.
  • -used a steel ruler for strait cuts (B00094A48A), and
  • -used a self healing cutting mat (B01KQ08064).

all details and images are in my reddit post

WACOM stylus - tell me more. What can you do with it and how do you personally use it?

-The stylus that I have that work with V60 are the LG Wacom Active Pen (the one that comes with their LG Gram laptop) I did a tiny youtube video using the LG Stylus on the V60.
-The Bamboo Ink and the Bamboo Ink plus. All are AES type. All three offer pressure sensitivity and work great on both screens.
Other Wacom AES styluses that work are the HP Rechargeable Pen, Lenovo Pen Pro, (All Recharable, AES 2.0).
Dell Premium Active Pen and Lenovo Precision Pen (disposible battery type pens, AES 2.0)
Lenovo Active Pen 2 (disposible batter, AES 1.0)
I also did a full write up on reddit comparing the stylus functions of the V60 vs the Note 10+.

Desktop (Dex like) support? Do tell..
The desktop mode (like dex) tha the V60 has is basically the Android one. Just plug in a usb-c to HDMI cable to an external monitor, tv etc and it will prompt you to use screen mirror or desktop mode. While it is not as snazzy as samsung DEX, it works rather well and serves my needs on the go when traveling. (even though I don't do that as much anymore) lol
Supposedly the LG Velvet has a better (updated) version of desktop mode than the V60.

TS out