cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro to Tile, My New Favorite Keychain Accessory - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Intro to Tile, My New Favorite Keychain Accessory - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, first of all, I love wearable technology but I tend to be a little too hard on most devices.  For that reason alone, sometimes I shy away from the small, fragile and easily lost. Let’s see, I’ve killed (or lost) about a dozen fitness trackers, a couple similar locators and countless other small wearables. Will the Tile suffer a similar fate? After careful review, I’m pretty confident it will not.  Here are all the reasons why I think Tile might be the best designed device that has ever graced my keychain.

1.jpg

#1 Heavy Duty Sealed Outer Enclosure – Unlike similar trackers, the outer plastic case is totally sealed.  There are no plastic clips holding things in place.  No metal fasteners to worry about and for the people I’ve seen successful enough to crack the case open, it required a band saw and some guts.  The case is listed as "Water resistant Up to IP5 standards" which is defined one of two ways, per IP standard it’s more so “Dust Protected - Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented” however Tile claims it can “withstand getting pretty wet or splash-proof, but it’s not currently set for underwater use”.  From what I’ve seen I’d certainly buy that as true (for the dissection videos I’ve seen) but haven’t really torture tested it yet.

#2 Battery is Soldered In – OK, spoiler alert!  Although the internal battery is a pretty unremarkable looking coin cell battery.  It’s formally stated to be non-replaceable.  Now, you can make this sound like doom and gloom scenario or look at this as the most brilliant design of ruggedizing ever.  Because alas the battery is soldered right to the circuit board and no amount of bumps or shakes will keep this unit from functioning. This was my #1 pet peeve with similar devices and Tile really thought ahead with this one. Soldiered in = reliability. Have you ever had a fitness tracker with a coin cell battery?  Only to see that your steps were never counted?  That’s because the battery socket used on these devices is just not suitable for the impact you’ll see through a normal day and likely your device was powering off/on about as frequently as those steps you were trying to count.  In a locator such like this a weak connection is the difference between working and not and thus, I put all my faith in things that are welded in, not moving and always making good electrical contact.

#3 Large Eyelet – its soooo nice to have a large dedicated eyelet that will easily accept a carabiner clip.  This make the Tile almost infinitely mountable.  It also doesn’t feel bound up on a keychain and you are not restricted to thin gauged rings. Again, a lot of good though was made to apply the Tile across many possible applications. I seriously have been pondering where I can place one of these to track my belongings.

#4 Multiple Tile Apps All Working For You – unlike similar trackers that pretty much communicate back to one device, Title uses the community as whole to pass information.  That means if your device is out of reach but another Tile user walks by it will communicate the position back to you via your app.  As the device becomes more and more popular with users the support gets better and better.  If you want to be slick this holiday season, you could buy all your friends and family a Tile and you’ll now have coverage through the places you’ll most likely lose things.

#5 Add Pictures of your actual device to the Tile App – If you want zero doubt, along with a device name you can actually take a picture of Tile attached to your device. So good for organizing things.

2.png

More in coming weeks on all the interesting applications where a Tile will come in handy.  However, the 5 reasons above certainly won me above to explore how this awesome little device might be the beginning of a lifetime relation with Tile and the Tile App.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

Note: Quotes sourced from www.tileapp.com and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code