cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tile

0 Comments

Losing your keys is a problem from the ages. Until recently, if you were really concerned about not losing your keys, or finding them after you lost them, you had to buy these remote beepers that were clunky and didnt not work really well. I know, I have bought several of them ranging from $5 to $50.

So as I mentioned, until recently, we didnt have many options. But now we do! Tile tries to solve this age old problem with crowd sourcing the solution. Let me break it down...

Tile, a device that looks like a tile, can be attached to your key chain, or bag pack, or whatever and connected to your Android or iOS device via Bluetooth and an app. The app tracks the Tile as long as its within Bluetooth range, which gives you about 35 ft or so. Which is usually enough as most likely you will have your keys close by. So where does the crowd sourcing come into play?

Well as the Tile community grows across the US, other Tile owners can help you track your device if it leaves your Bluetooth range. Privacy is maintained as these other users are not aware of your Tile is nearby, but you can invoke lost mode that can give you more coverage. When these other Tile users find it, you get an alert and find your keys!!

So this was quite a simple overview of what Tile is really capable of.

0 Comments

So due to power being out for Hurricane Matthew we had to find new games after playing all the normal board games.  So we used the tile.  Our game started like this. 

1. One person was the seeker and he had the phone. 

2. The others had to hide the tile. 

3. When the hiders where done they came and got the seeker

4. The seeker then had 30 seconds to find the tile

This provided so much fun for hours.  We found such tight and tiny places to hide the tile.  Different tactics included trying to muffle the tone of the tile.  Overall the best hiding spot was trying to hide it the farthest from where the seeker started.  This allowed the Bluetooth connection to be severed.  So you would have to run room to room trying to get it to connect.  Then when it connects to have to find it through the audible tone.  It was harder than you expect if you live in a bigger home.  But it was fun the less and hope you try it out!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Recently my family and I went through Hurricane Matthew.  We were trying to get everything back in order after being down without power over 4 days.  In all the mess in our house and throwing things away somehow my wife's keys got tossed in the trash.  We were distraught and now Key fobs cost upwards of 200 dollars.  So we walked to our trash cans and we had them all full.  We had thrown out everything in out refrigerator and freezer.  We had stinky meat and other great things from the back of the fridge.

We proceeded to take all the bags out and tried to jingle them.  Thinking maybe we could here the keys.  To much or our unluckiness we struck out.  So we sit there with about 8 trash bags full of garbage.  Then I thought wait I had put the tile on my wife's keys for this very purpose.  I ran to her phone and began to locate the tile.  We were so happy that one of the bags started ringing.  we grab that bag and lady luck had shined upon us as it was dry trash bag with no kitchen garbage.  This was a great and useful accessory that avoided and financial disaster.

?Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.?

0 Comments

Final Impression of the Tile Tracker - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, the Tile has been gracing my keychain for a quite a few weeks now and like a distant friend, although we don't talk every day, it's always nice knowing I can reach out whenever I need to.  As a whole, I LOVE what the Tile offers me and that most importantly includes peace of mind.  The Tile insures that as I have a phone, I will be able to find my keys (or whatever the Tile is attached to).

Although there are mostly good things to say about Tile there are a few things to consider:

The first limitation is each Tile tracker has a shelf life. The battery will only last you a year and then the whole device will need replacing. I can deal with that consumption (personally) but it could be a turn off for some people.  The entry price is low and beyond that, Tile has programs in place to help save you a little money each time you replace. Remember, your Tile's battery is both soldiered in place and completely sealed.  This means two important things:  #1 - reliability (the battery will not come loose and always will provide power to the device) & #2 - durability (a sealed enclosure means the circuitry is safely protected to continue to work in harsh conditions).  As compared to similar models this tracker has done things correctly and you can't truly appreciate that until you see how other devices compromise reliability by easing up on protection and serviceability.

Secondly, although this tracker does awesome job of using a phone to find keys, I don't entirely agree with the reverse scenario.  As things are today, I wouldn't recommend it for someone trying to use the Tile to find a lost phone. This is mainly because the Tile App needs to be running at the time of loss and doesn't automatically happen. Personally, I simply can never remember to leave that app running. There was at least two times I tried to ring my phone and it didn't work because the App (for whatever reason) wasn't started. Now, I do not entirely have a problem with this.  I don't really even believe that is a good feature to have enabled at all. I stopped using similar devices because became it became more of a more of a nuisance than a feature.  Have you ever pocket-dialed someone?  Well if you keep your keys in your pocket that can happen all too often with other trackers.  I'd be just as happy disabling that feature all together.

The most important thing that I want my readers to take from my experience with Tile is this: When my Tile's battery gets spent I will be purchasing another Tile.  As I find more important places where I Tile should live, I will be buying more Tiles.  I believe in the Tile community, I will be joining the Tile community and wish all of you will join with me. Tile infrastructure is user-dependent and I promote things that make my life easier. Tile does just that.

4.jpg

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

You already know that you can locate lost things with the Tile tracker and the Tile application on your smartphone. You might already know that you can locate your smartphone by using a Tile. However, did you know you can use the Tile website to locate your smartphone when your Tile isn’t handy? Well you do now!

You can use Tile’s website (www.thetileapp.com) to log in and locate your device on a map.  Unfortunately, this does not work for the Tile trackers themselves (they would need Internet connectivity for that to work). However, it would be nice to just see the last known location of the Tile Trackers on the map as a reference only (Tile – Could you make that happen, please?? )

All you need to do is navigate to the website and log in. It will take you to a Google map where you can locate any phones (or tablets) connected to your account. The indicator is akin to Google’s Android Device Manager or Apple’s Find My iPhone, so it will look rather familiar to you if you’ve used either of these services. So long as the phone is turned on and connected to the Internet (Wifi or cellular network), the Tile website should be able to locate it.  Keep in mind the location is not exact and is simply an approximation based on various conditions.

Splash.png

In the upper-left of the map, you have a list of all of your phones connected to your Tile account. Click the phone you want to locate and you will have two options “Find” and “lost mode.”  In addition, you will see the last time the server recorded the device’s location. Simply click Find and the device will be located and your phone will begin ringing, signaling that it is being located by the Tile application.

Control Panel.png  

You can even click the directional arrow on that same box to obtain directions to the approximate location for that phone. Clicking this will open a new tab/window to a Google map that will assist you in obtaining directions.

The other button (Lost Mode) allows you to lock the device and place a message on the screen for anyone who finds the phone. Simply enter a number where you can be reached and either select the default notification message or write one of your own. It will then lock the phone and place a notification on the screen that it is lost and in need of being returned to its owner.

PTN.pngLost Message.png

Lost mode.png 

Yet again, Tile makes locating your missing temporarily misplaced items a breeze!

As always, thank you for reading.  Have you purchased a Tile yet? If not, what’s stopping you?

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Author’s Note:  The use of trademarks or copyrighted names are for reference only.  The content in this post is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the owners of said copyrights or trademarks.

0 Comments

Tile - Personalize Your Tile - Sprint Product Ambassadors

checkoutskins.png

* Image and link courtesy of www.thetileapp.com & Skinit.com

You have a Tile and while the size of the Tile is perfect maybe you don't like the bright white of the color of Tile. Tile has partnered with third party manufacture to help design a skin that can be used with your Tile. Tile skins allow you to personalize your Tile with a custom color, design or even upload your favorite image. Tile skins are manufactured by Skinit.

Skinit is a leader in creating personalized branding of electronic products. Skinit manufacture skins by using the highest quality 3M adhesive vinyl with patented air release technology that leaves no residue. Skinit collaborates with Marvel, DC Comics, Looney Tunes and Hello Kitty to offer you official and original artwork. They are also an official licensor of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS.

Once you own you Tile https://www.thetileapp.com/buynow

Visit: http://tile.skinit.com/ to begin customizing the look of your Tiles.

Tile skins cost start at $6.99 for one custom or premade design. The cost goes down the more you buy.

custom pricing.png

Choose an existing pattern and add it to your cart and proceed to checkout and finalize the purchase of your new Skinit artwork. Choose from categories Art, Lifestyle, Photography, Textures, and Color. If you want to make your own design select the Customize it option or at the top of the webpage choose create your own. You will have 3 steps to complete, (upload the image you want, add text and review your design).

Designs-Art.png Designs-Lifestyle.png Designs-Photo-Texture-Color.png

Customize it.png

You can upload an image from your PC, Facebook, Instagram, or even provide a link to the image you want. The TILE can have an image placed on the Front, Back and 2 edges. The initial setup defaults to the back of the Tile.  Once you choose your image you can change the orientation of the image and make the size larger or smaller to fit the Tile. You can move on to step 2 for this side and choose to add Text. With text you can change the style, size and even color. Play around with what matches your design or don't have any it is your design so make it how you want it to look and feel.

Add-image.png

Add-Text.png

When completed with the back simply select which other side of the tile you want to have an image on. Click the name below the tile icon to select your option. Then choose step 1 in the top left corner of the webpage add an image this will start the process over for the selected side. Follow the same step for designing how the image should look for each part of the Tile. Once complete with all 4 sides select "Preview Step 3". This will give you a full view of how your tile will look with the design you created. If Satisfied with your creation select the buy now option and complete the transaction for purchasing your Skinit design.

Front-side.pngBack-side.png

With so many options and designs user or even companies can design something to fit their needs. Skinit gives end user the ability to create something that represents them or choose one of their already created pieces to fit the TILE. In either case if you want to give your Tile a splash of color visit Tiles partner Skinit and learn how to truly customize your Tile.

Please visit my other Blogs regarding the Tile:

Tile - Bluetooth Tracker Initial Review - Sprint Product Ambassador

Tile - HELP!! "Find my Tile" - Sprint Product Ambassador
My Tile Takes a Licking Keeps on Ticking - Sprint Product Ambassador

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Refer-A-Friend to earn a Tile for Free - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, once you have your Tile and you finally marry it up to your Tile app, you might want to start spreading the word.  After all, as the community grows, the likelihood of finding lost Tiles becomes even greater.  Tile will help reward your efforts by issuing you an additional Tile for free when you pass the word along via social media.

1.jpg

Tile’s Refer-A-Friend is pretty simple, from the Tile app, click the cog wheel to go to “settings”.  Under the “Tiles” section, click “Get Free Tiles”.  Now you can issue a mass email to your friends or link via Social Media (However you think would be most effective).  For each friend who uses your link and purchases a tile, you’ll get 25 Points, and once you have 50 Points. You’ll earn an additional Tile for Free. So that’s pretty doable for a quick freebee.  Basically Two friends = An Extra Tile.

2.jpg

Now make sure you click “Referral Terms and Conditions” to read all the rules carefully. This program is kind of a one and done, program. You can only earn one free Tile no matter how many referrals you make so two or two hundred makes no difference. Still, free is free and more Tiles means a stronger community.  So help sell a couple Tiles, earn a free one for yourself and just be happy your keys will be even safer than before.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

As I have mentioned in my previous blogs, the Tile is a fantastic and almost necessary accessory for anyone.

Did you know you can share a Tile registered to your account with another trusted user?  Yep, you can! This makes locating items even easier and convenient. If you share keys, bags, or other items with another person, then sharing a Tile allows both users to locate the item quickly.

First, you want to add a new tile (or use one you already have registered – we’re going with registering a new one for this example) by clicking the + symbol in the lower right corner of the Tile app. Select either Original or Slim, depending on the Tile you have.  We’re selecting Original in this example because that’s what I have at the moment.

Screenshot_20160923-084548.pngScreenshot_20160923-084552.png 

Once you follow the on-screen directions to pair the Tile, you can tag the Tile as a particular item that it is associated with from the list. Some options include keys, wallets, vehicles, bicycles, etc.  I’m choosing spare key (at the bottom of the list), as I tend to lose this key often, especially when I need it the most after locking myself out of the house (Who does that?!).

Screenshot_20160923-084557.pngScreenshot_20160923-084605.pngScreenshot_20160923-084609.png
Once you’ve selected the option you want, it’ll bring you to a “find” screen to find the tile you just activated. Go ahead and click “find” and you’ll hear the Tile ring and you can then click the ‘e’ on the Tile to silence the alarm. It’ll bring you back to the list of all Tiles associated with your account.

Screenshot_20160923-084852.png 

From here, click the tile you just added. Often, the Tile app will show tips and it could show you a blurb about sharing the Tile. You can click Share Tile from here if you see that message. Otherwise, click the options tab and click “share with.”  You’re presented with a popup message that advises you the other user will see it in their Tile app and can ring it and update its location. Click next and enter the email address of the person you want to share it with. Once you’ve entered the email address, click Send and you will be taken back to the options screen.

Screenshot_20160923-084931.pngScreenshot_20160923-084934.pngScreenshot_20160923-084948.pngScreenshot_20160923-085047.png 

You can now see that the Tile is shared with another user.  Keep in mind that you can only share a Tile with one person. You can share each Tile with a different person, but one Tile can only be used between two users. You can un-share at any time by tapping the “Shared With” and clicking “unshare.” 

Screenshot_20160923-085136.png 

The other user will be able to see the shared Tile on his or her phone in the list of available Tiles. The user can Click the options for a Tile and see who is sharing it with them.

Screenshot_20160923-085534.png

Another nice thing about Tile sharing is that the app tells you who the Tile is connected to if it’s currently connected.  If not, it will say it was last seen at “xyz location” and you have the option of clicking notify when found.  This would then utilize the crowd locating option where another Tile user can help locate it just by passing by – this will trigger an email alert/app alert saying it was located.

Screenshot_20160923-085547.pngScreenshot_20160923-085553.png

As you can see, Tile makes it even easier to keep track of the things you need the most. Whether it be shared keys, a bike, a spare key, a backpack, an umbrella, or nearly anything you can imagine, Tile and the application help to ensure you’re never too far away.

As always, thank you for reading.  Have you used the Tile sharing feature?

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Author’s Note:  The use of trademarks or copyrighted names are for reference only. The content in this post is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the owners of said copyrights or trademarks.

0 Comments

The Tile bluetooth tracking device has a cool feature built into its network called “Community Find.” Let's get into the details...

Tile uses bluetooth to connect with your device. It then uses GPS on your device to track the location of your Tile in the app. Because of this, your Tile needs to be within 100 feet (maximum bluetooth range) of a device that has Tile running in order to keep an accurate location of the Tile. However, If you misplace your Tile and it is not within the range of your device, Tile has a feature called Community Find.

When the Tile app is run on a device, the app is looking for all Tiles within bluetooth range. So, if someone who has the Tile app running on their device passes your misplaced Tile, your Tile app will update showing the last location it was located in, and will notify you that it was located as well. In order to receive that notification, be certain to click “Notify When Found” in your app as soon as you realized you misplaced your Tile.

IMG_4221.PNG

Community Find is secure, safe, and anonymous. People will not know your location or who you are, and vice versa.

Hopefully, you will not lose your Tile (and the item attached to your Tile). However, if you do, it is reassuring to know that there is a Community Find network (lost and found) ready to help!

You can purchase your own Tile at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #tile #sprintproductambassadors

0 Comments

Tile is a fabulous tracking device to find your lost items. However, it does not have a replaceable battery. The battery on the Tile is designed to last at least one year, and it is guaranteed to do so.  After that one year is up, you cannot open your Tile and put a new battery into it. However, they do have a solution called “reTile.”  reTile allows you to replace your Tile for a discounted price.

keys_with_phone.png 

How much is it to reTile?  Currently, the “reTile” price for the Tile Original is $12, and the Tile Slim is $21. Pretty affordable!

The nice thing about this is that if they update your Tile model, you’ll receive the newer version of your Tile model. I am a fan of that!

Also, Tile will recycle 99.9% of your old Tile. They will send you a pre-paid envelope for you to send back your old Tile for recycling if you choose to do so. The only part of the Tile is isn’t recyclable is the battery.

So how do you know when your Tile year is up?  Do you have to set a calendar reminder?  Thankfully, no. You’ll actually receive an in-app notification along with an email 11 months after your Tile was activated.

Capture.PNG

If you'd like to read more about reTile, visit https://www.thetileapp.com/retile.

If you haven’t purchased your Tile yet, Sprint has them available at an affordable price. Check it out!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #tile #sprintproductambassadors

0 Comments

(If images appear compressed, click to expand or to open in new tab on mobile)

Hey again, everyone!

I have spent a couple weeks with the Tile, and I have found some interesting uses for it!  Sure you can locate keys, wallets, and other normal everyday items with the Tile, but can you use it to locate children? You bet you can!

As I mentioned in my previously blog, Tile can be used for almost anything you can think of. Wallets, purses, keys, bicycles, etc. I decided to use it to locate my children during a recent trip to the corn maze at a local farm’s Harvest Festival. The corn maze is rather large each year, and it is very easy to get lost in it. This year’s “maize” is Charlie Brown for its anniversary, and it seemed much larger than previous years.  Therefore, it was easy to get lost and I knew my Tile would come in handy!

Here is the corn maze we went to:

home_c1.png

(Image credit: The Pumpkin Patch)

As soon as we entered the corn maze, I handed over a Tile to my oldest daughter. Both of my daughters would likely stick together, so the need for multiple Tiles wasn’t necessary this time. I wanted to use the Tile because not only could I ring the Tile to locate them, they could also use it to locate me if they were lost.  I informed them that if they became separated, they should wait in one spot to be located. Or, they could double-click the ‘e’ on the Tile to send a signal to my device to make it ring so they could find me. 

IMAG1270.jpg

Off we went deep into the corn maze in search of clues to find our way out!  My daughters didn’t get lost too many times, but the Tile did come in handy quite a bit.  The map feature within the Tile app was not necessarily as helpful due to the close range (I knew they’d be somewhere nearby, obviously), but the audible alerts were fantastic. 

IMAG1269.jpg

I was able to ring the Tile from my Tile App and hear the audible tone on the Tile itself. My kids then knew I was somewhere nearby and able to locate them.  Additionally helpful is the distance indicator on the Tile App. When locating a tile, you are presented with color-coded indicator that helps you know how far away from the Tile you are.  When the circle around the Tile is solid green, the Tile is nearby. If it’s blue, it is not immediately nearby, but you can request to be notified if a nearby user passes by the Tile.  In addition to using my Tile App, my kids loved the double-tap feature on the ‘e’ to send a signal to my phone.  I tried to hide from them in the maze, but my efforts were thwarted when they signaled my phone to ring from the Tile --- That kinda backfired.

Screenshot_20160919-123829.png

IMAG1275.jpg

IMAG1278.jpg

The Tile was fun to use in the corn maze, and I plan to use it during outings in the future where it could become easy to be separated.  I should caution that the Tile is not meant to replace parenting responsibilities such as maintaining control of children, but it is helpful should someone become separated from the group. I plan to use it whenever we go camping, hiking, or even a fair or theme park – it’s always nice to be prepared just in case. (My children don’t have cell phones yet so this is the best alternative to a locating device currently).

Thanks, Tile, for making locating my family fun and entertaining. My kids loved it, as did I.

Here are some photos of our outing:

IMAG1254.jpg

IMAG1266.jpg

As always, thank you for reading.  What are some unique ways that you have used Tile? 

Until next time!

~ Troy

Author’s Note:  The use of trademarks or copyrighted names are for reference only. The content in this post is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the owners of said copyrights or trademarks.

0 Comments

Lookout for Tile, Now Available In Airport Vending - Sprint Product Ambassadors

found.jpg

For those of you traveling this summer, you might see a familiar friend lurking in those airport vending kiosks.  This is a friend that can keep an eye on your luggage, gives you peace of mind and now so easy to obtain that it’s practically calling out to you from behind glass.

I’ve been there, I’ve seen it and in at least in two airports that I passed through this year, Tile now graces the top shelf of technology kiosks everywhere.

Wow, I did not think about the application till then.  Tile + Luggage = No More Lost Luggage.  What a super cool idea.

Consider This:

We don’t want to even think about it but, it happens.  On a small scale, on a large scale… airports themselves are big and complex places where things get shuffled around and the potential for lost luggage, although uncommon will (eventually) happen.

Case in point, my wife’s experience last year.   Returning home from her trip was nothing out of the ordinary. I don’t recall her flight delayed.  It was a direct flight and there shouldn’t have been zero margin for error but alas her checked bag went missing. She was devastated.   

Now it only went missing for a day or two but you can imagine her dismay when you call the airline and even they can’t even determine where the bag ended up (at least at that very moment).  Bottom line it can be stressful.

Now just imagine another scenario.  One where you pretty much knew your bag was close before it left the carousel or at the very least could pretty much confirm it wasn’t anywhere in the vicinity where you were looking and where it should be. 

Imagine having the ability to engage other Tile users to help locate that lost device. You know those Tile users that are likely using that very Tile app to locate their own luggage at baggage claim in a city where your luggage may have actually ended up.

Imagine how impressed, the Airline will be when you call asking why your bag ended up in Albuquerque, NM? 

I can honestly say my interest is peaked and I might need a couple more Tiles before my next trip.  How about you?

Are you actually at the airport now reading blog?  Well, walk over to that Kiosk already.  It’s probably right around that corner next to the newsstand.

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

It has been two weeks since I received and activated my Tile. Starting with just one I had to prioritize where I was going to attach it and the choice for me was pretty easy. Keys! Yes I am one of those people that tend to misplace my keys once every few days.

If my wife were writing this today she would tell stories of countless times she has had to join me in the ever fun key hunt as we are trying to blaze our way out the door to some event or dinner with friends. My penchant for loss peaks especially during times in life when I am stressed or in a hurry. Lost keys of course just add to the intensity of stress during these times.

So with two weeks behind me what have been the results?

20160915_144710.jpg

The good

Thanks to the tile I have with ease been able to locate my keys in seconds if misplaced at home, at my desk and even once between the seats in my car. The app on my phone has made it a breeze to quickly activate a search and the tone produced by the Tile is plenty loud enough to be heard. Just yesterday I thought the keys were hiding only to find them quickly under a kitchen towel thanks to the Tile. 

I have used the app to Tile feature more than I had expected and a couple of times did the reverse to quickly locate my phone by double pressing the E on the Tile itself.

Perhaps the most fun has been demonstrating these features to people I encounter. I have yet to show it to a single person that has not thought of how the Tile find feature would benefit them or someone they know. This is especially true after I let them know it cost just $25.

The BAD

Now the Tile is does not work 100% of the time to locate items. The connection is through Bluetooth so there are constraints on range. Also, for the tile to force ring my phone the App has to be running in the background. Running the AP is not something that most people would do every day on purpose.

Despite these minor challenges, my experience has gone so well that I have purchased additional Tiles from Sprint.com. Soon my other greatest hits lost items like my wallet and work ID badge will also not as often be items of stress during a rushed morning. I am certainly looking forward to that!

Overall, my experience has meet my expectations and if you are someone that will like a little extra help finding frequently misplaced items then the Tile is for you. That is as long as you understand and keep in mind the locating constraints due to the need for Bluetooth proximity.

0 Comments

http://cdn-mf1.heartyhosting.com/sites/mensfitness.com/files/styles/photo_gallery_full/public/tile-tracker-rotator.jpg?itok=bH6pYYxz

I live in Florida and going to the beach is simple for me.  I live about 15 minutes from the beach so my kids wanting to go every weekend is a given.  We decided a couple weekends ago after Hurricane Hermine came through we were going to the beach.  So we loaded up the car with the usual's which included: chairs, towels, coolers with drinks, and all the other essentials. 

We get to the beach and it's packed.  It usually is after a hurricane comes through.  The masses needing there sun and fun fix seem to flock to the beach on good days.  So after driving around for awhile we were unable to find a spot to park.  So we parked in a garage and walked across the street to the beach.  We spent our day and had our fun and packed everything back up to start our trip back to the car.  We get all the way to the car and find out I am missing my keys.  I had forgot I had left them on my towel and when I shook my towel out it must have flown off.

I rushed back to where we had our stuff and there were some people there already.  I asked if they had seen any keys and they stated they had not.  I immediately went to my tile app to see if I could find it.  I started frantically pressing the button hoping to hear something.  after about a minute of walking around pressing the button I was able to locate them stuck in the sand.  I can't imagine how much I would have to have paid to get a locksmith to some out.  The tile definitely saved my day!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

The Tile is a device that you don't need. You can go days, weeks, possibly even months and not need it until one day, you do.  It's like a little insurance policy.  Hopefully you won't need it, but when you do, you really need it, and you must rely on it to work.

I have needed it a couple of times in the past month, and it saved me much time and anxiety because I was quickly able to locate the last place I left my keys, (on a coffee table in the living room and in a pair of pants in the dirty laundry).

One thing I was initially disappointed about was its sealed battery design, but now that I've used it, I can see the wisdom in it.  You see, the battery is guaranteed to work for at least a year.  After a year, you will be contacted by Tile to arrange a replacement.  You keep using your original tile while they cross-ship a replacement to you.  You will need to purchase a replacement from Tile every year, but at a reduced price, "as much as 50% off", according to Tile. They recommend against using it past a year, even if the battery is still going strong, because, when you need to use it, you will really need to use it.  Letting a year go by without replacing it is like letting your home insurance policy lapse; probably not a good idea.

The battery in the Tile is both soldered and glued into place.  It is not going to move.  It is not going to lose connection.  It will work when you need it to.  At first, I scoffed at the idea of basically paying an annual subscription for a Bluetooth key chain, but now that I've actually had to rely on it, I can say that it's actually a necessity, and I plan on purchasing more for myself and my family.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

My Tile Takes a Licking Keeps on Ticking - Sprint Product Ambassador

Exposed.jpg

As a Tile owner I had the unfortunate mishap of the leaving my keys in my pocket while washing my clothes. Now for those who don't know, the Tile is pretty durable. But how durable is it really. I decided to give it a good whirl. Let us talk about IP standards that has been designated for the TILE. The International Protection Marking is the designation given to a product referencing its ability to handle environmental changes.

The IP markings is a two digit number. The first digit represents a solid particle level protection (think dust). The second digit is the liquid ingress protection. With dust the ratings goes from 0-6 where zero has no protection and 6 means it is dust tight. With TILE they have not listed the dust durability but from the tight enclosure with no moving parts I would say it is probably at a 5. If it had a rubber gasket I would think the rating would increase to the highest. When it comes to liquid protection this ratings extends from 0 all the way 9. With zero meaning it has no protection to 9 meaning the item is submersible for a lengthy time with no issue. The Tile has a rating of a 5. This equates to water being blasted from any angle on to the object and will have no harmful effects.

Now granted it is not submersible but that did not stop me. Well I did not plan to submerse mine but things happen. As I began the discussion I stated I washed mine unintentionally. Guess what it survived. Now based on its ratings the Tile should have failed. Did I also mention I dried it to? It was in my pants pocket, again it survived the intense heat. Now I'm not one to say go and wash yours and dry it but it is nice to know that simple accidents while they do occur my Tile was robust enough to hold up and survive. I would say it held up to the most robust specs as in military standards. I never did test the durability of the tiny device but its hard shell is comprised of a dense plastic. As the Tile company states it's durable enough to withstand what the world throws at it.  If it can withstand the world then it has to be super strong.

Please visit my other blogs regarding the Tile:

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Intro to Tile, My New Favorite Keychain Accessory - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, first of all, I love wearable technology but I tend to be a little too hard on most devices.  For that reason alone, sometimes I shy away from the small, fragile and easily lost. Let’s see, I’ve killed (or lost) about a dozen fitness trackers, a couple similar locators and countless other small wearables. Will the Tile suffer a similar fate? After careful review, I’m pretty confident it will not.  Here are all the reasons why I think Tile might be the best designed device that has ever graced my keychain.

1.jpg

#1 Heavy Duty Sealed Outer Enclosure – Unlike similar trackers, the outer plastic case is totally sealed.  There are no plastic clips holding things in place.  No metal fasteners to worry about and for the people I’ve seen successful enough to crack the case open, it required a band saw and some guts.  The case is listed as "Water resistant Up to IP5 standards" which is defined one of two ways, per IP standard it’s more so “Dust Protected - Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented” however Tile claims it can “withstand getting pretty wet or splash-proof, but it’s not currently set for underwater use”.  From what I’ve seen I’d certainly buy that as true (for the dissection videos I’ve seen) but haven’t really torture tested it yet.

#2 Battery is Soldered In – OK, spoiler alert!  Although the internal battery is a pretty unremarkable looking coin cell battery.  It’s formally stated to be non-replaceable.  Now, you can make this sound like doom and gloom scenario or look at this as the most brilliant design of ruggedizing ever.  Because alas the battery is soldered right to the circuit board and no amount of bumps or shakes will keep this unit from functioning. This was my #1 pet peeve with similar devices and Tile really thought ahead with this one. Soldiered in = reliability. Have you ever had a fitness tracker with a coin cell battery?  Only to see that your steps were never counted?  That’s because the battery socket used on these devices is just not suitable for the impact you’ll see through a normal day and likely your device was powering off/on about as frequently as those steps you were trying to count.  In a locator such like this a weak connection is the difference between working and not and thus, I put all my faith in things that are welded in, not moving and always making good electrical contact.

#3 Large Eyelet – its soooo nice to have a large dedicated eyelet that will easily accept a carabiner clip.  This make the Tile almost infinitely mountable.  It also doesn’t feel bound up on a keychain and you are not restricted to thin gauged rings. Again, a lot of good though was made to apply the Tile across many possible applications. I seriously have been pondering where I can place one of these to track my belongings.

#4 Multiple Tile Apps All Working For You – unlike similar trackers that pretty much communicate back to one device, Title uses the community as whole to pass information.  That means if your device is out of reach but another Tile user walks by it will communicate the position back to you via your app.  As the device becomes more and more popular with users the support gets better and better.  If you want to be slick this holiday season, you could buy all your friends and family a Tile and you’ll now have coverage through the places you’ll most likely lose things.

#5 Add Pictures of your actual device to the Tile App – If you want zero doubt, along with a device name you can actually take a picture of Tile attached to your device. So good for organizing things.

2.png

More in coming weeks on all the interesting applications where a Tile will come in handy.  However, the 5 reasons above certainly won me above to explore how this awesome little device might be the beginning of a lifetime relation with Tile and the Tile App.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Note: Quotes sourced from www.tileapp.com and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

0 Comments

Tile is pretty handy when you need to locate your items (keys, purse, etc.), however, the cool thing is that it works in the reverse too.  Yes, it will locate your device(s)!

Locating your device from your Tile is quite simple.

1. Ensure you have the Tile app installed on your device and are signed into your account.
  2. Depress the "e" twice on your Tile device.  Tile will sound a tone to locate your misplaced device as long as you're in range.

The Tile tone on your device is very audible and hard to miss.

img_hiw_phone-progressive-2.jpg

A few things to note:

• You must be running the Tile app in the background on your device for this to work.  I have tried this with both Android and iOS, and in both cases I needed to run the app in the background.  If you do not remember to launch the Tile app after rebooting, Tile will be unable to locate your device(s).

• Also, if you have multiple devices signed into the Tile app, Tile will locate the one that it is nearest to that has the app running.

I think this is a cool, handy extra feature they built into Tile and really dig it! I just need to remember to launch the Tile app after rebooting.

If you haven't bought a Tile yet, you can purchase your very own at Sprint. They come in a single pack and four packs.

0 Comments

https://lh4.ggpht.com/wlTRG-cZjU9yDDvrbcsjYIJAD4sHyR_b4slQ0WYOnZn_iDvTDOs9ZX2mx7fry04dlA=w300

I received my tile and was excited for my first test.  I took it home and immediately paired it to my wife's phone.  I didn't tell her and told my 6 year old to go hide moms phone.  Some time had gone by and I completely forgot that I had my son even hide my wife's phone.  Then the probing started.  She asked "Honey have you seen my phone"?  My prompt response "No I haven't where did you leave it last".  Well after some time went by I started with my sales pitch.

I started asking the general questions which made her realize I was the culprit.  "Wouldn't it be nice if you had something to find you phone?"  She got it right away.  As I excitedly ran to get the tile I quickly found out she was not amused.  Clicking on the tile we played a quick game of hide and seek.  Finding her phone she was amused and grateful she had something to find her phone in the future.  But the game had just begun.

Reversing the technology I had my son hide my wife's keys next.  She immediately knew we had something to do with it since we have key rings at the front door.  Another quick game and little longer tutorial I was able to show my wife how to find her keys.  I wanted to test these features on my wife because to say the least she is a little lacking in the technology department.  So if I can teach her she can show her friends and they in turn will 0pass on the knowledge.  I hope you enjoyed my time bugging my wife as much as I did.

0 Comments

Foundwith Tile.jpg

* Image and link courtesy of www.thetileapp.com

I have my Tile and want to test the lost feature out and how well it works. When users sign up with the Tile network they become a part of the Tile ecosystem. Once a part of this group your individual connection to the TILE network helps others in times of need. Whenever you launch the Tile application you will immediately see the amount of Tile members in your general area. To my knowledge this general area is based on city as per Tile. That makes sense as when I get to work which is in a different city with more condensed users than my home the amount of Tile members increase from 130+ members near my home to over 600+ members by my work.

With the members I wanted to test the ability to find my Tile. Now granted this process is not an instant gratification as the Tile will only be located when another Tile member comes close enough to my Tile to register it and determine it is lost to send a location notification. To make matters harder I placed my Tile on a moving vehicle in hopes of driving around it would be able to make contact faster than being stationary. Boy I was wrong, Try hitting a moving target it is not easy as the network is not as big as I would hope.

I had my Tile listed lost daily for about 5 days with no hits until the vehicle was brought back to within distance of my own device. Then I immediately received a notification that my Tile was found and was presented with a map of the location my Tile was at. The process to begin the procedure was simple enough. While in the Tile application on the main home page check to see if your Tile is out of range. Your Tile is considered out of range from your device when the green ring around the Tile is now gray. When you click on the Tile you will be presented with the last known whereabouts of the Tile along with a map. From here you can initiate the notification to other Tile members that your Tile needs to be found. As an additional help users are advised to build the community and send messages to friends and families to download the application and turn it on. This will help increase the chance of finding the Tile. Keep in mind the location of your Tile is done anonymously. Tile Members with application running will have no idea they just helped you find your Tile. The information is learned and transmitted to only the user that has listed the Tile lost. The community is there to help build a grid to find the lost object and notify you. It is not made for users to find the lost items themselves. 

Screenshot_20160829-091447.png Screenshot_20160901-153715.png Screenshot_20160901-163505.png

Screenshot_20160901-163650.png Screenshot_20160901-163838.png

Once found Tile Application will send a notification of the Tile being found. You will also receive an email to the registered email on file. The email will also include a statement that the Tile has been found and present a embedded map of the location. You can then click the included link to get directions to your Tile based on GPS coordinates. Though my Tile was located while I was riding in the vehicle. Hence why the Location appears to be on a road.

Found: Amishtech-Tile!

Your Tiled item was just found at the location below. Time to go get it!

Found Image.jpg

If I lived in a more densely populated area with more Tile members I'm sure the chances of finding a Tile will be greatly increased. The key is to increase awareness of this program. Adding users are the key to the growing community of finding lost Tiles. The more people who join and just initialize the app will add greater functionality to this neat ecosystem of lost and found.

Please visit my other Blogs regarding the Tile:

Disclaimer:

0 Comments

Tile.jpgI've often thought that it would be really cool if I could find my keys using Bluetooth.  I have lost my keys more than once, so this is something that comes up more frequently then I care to admit.  I'm already carrying a fob that allows keyless entry and starting of my car, so why can't I use a similar device to find my keys?

Fortunately for me, Tile has created exactly what I need. The Tile, from Tile.  So is that the Tile Tile? The Tile squared?  It is literally, a small tile with a Bluetooth receiver / transmitter and tiny speaker inside.  You sync it with your phone or phones, tablets, whatever using the Tile app, and can make it beep from your phone, tablet, and / or webpage.  On one side of the Tile is the word, "tile".  The "e" is actually the button.  IMAG0413.jpgSo if you are looking for your keys, and the Tile is beeping, you can either press the "e" button when you find your keys, or cancel the page from the Tile app on your phone.  Pretty cool, huh?

It gets cooler.  Let's say you are the type of person who might possibly lose your keys occasionally.  It is conceivable that you might also lose your phone from time to time as well.  It has happened to me.  If you have lost your phone, but have your keys, just press the "e" button twice.  An audible alarm will go off on your phone as long as the app is running.  Let's take it a step further; let's say you have managed to misplace both your keys and your phone, in separate places, (I'm not that bad).  You can track them both down with only the one Tile.  Just first locate the Tile attached to your keys from the Tile webpage, (assuming you haven't lost your computer too), and once you have found your keys, double-click the "e" to find your phone.

The tile is water resistant, but not water proof.  One of my co-workers did recently run his Tile through his washer and dryer, (not on purpose), and it still works perfect.

Sprint is currently selling these tiny necessities at all of our retail stores.  Just click on http://storelocator.sprint.com/locator/?INTNAV=LeftNav:More:LocateStore to locate a Sprint store near you.  The cost for such a sanity-saving device?  Only twenty-five bucks each!  Personally, I'd get the four pack which sells for only $69.99.

Have you tried the Tile yet?  Let me know what you think about it.

IMAG0409.jpg

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

#Tile #iOS #Android #Sprint #Disorganized

0 Comments

Do you happen to misplace items from time to time?  For me, it is my keys and purse. I try to put them in the same place, but somehow end up misplacing them quite often.  If this happens to you, Tile is your solution.

Tile is an affordable and small Bluetooth tracking device that helps you find your things within seconds. You simply attach Tile to items you need to find. Just launch the Tile app on your device and find your Tile. If your Tile is within 100 feet, it will ring loudly until you find it.

Screenshot_20160830-104713.png

If your misplaced item is more than 100 feet away, there is Community Find, which will assist you in finding your item. You can read more on Community Find here.

Also, Tile helps you find your device too. Simply press the “e” on your tile two time and it will ping your device. Also, you can log into the Tile website https://www.thetileapp.com and locate your device from there as well.

This video is a great demonstration of how Tile works:

I took a few photos as I unboxed the Tile. The only item in the box I opened was the Tile itself, along with some simple instructions. It tells you to go to downloadtile.com on your device, or to download the app from Google Play or iOS App Store. 

IMG_20160819_202604.jpgIMG_20160819_202611.jpgIMG_20160819_202755.jpgIMG_20160819_202823.jpg

Tile activation is a breeze. Simply open the app and follow the instructions that appear on the screen. If you need any assistance, you can visit thetileapp.com/getstarted.

I have been really happy using this over the past week. It works wonderfully in both in helping my find my misplaced device, as well as my keys. I have other tracking devices in the past, and so far, this one is my favorite to date!

You can purchase your own Tile at Sprint.

7 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

I told you I would be back soon!  This time, I am back with the Tile accessory! This is the first time I’ve been given an accessory to demo for this program, and I am quite excited.  Not to mention it is for a pretty awesome product!  

What is Tile? 

Tile is a small Bluetooth enabled tracker that can be used to find nearly anything you want to keep track of. It connects to your device via Bluetooth and the convenient and easy-to-use Tile app. From here, you can locate your Tile, meaning you can locate anything the Tile is connected to. Perhaps you want to track a wallet, keys, a laptop, a tablet, external HDD or an external battery; Tile will be with you each step of the way to help you locate the items that matter most to you. In fact, Tile says it better with this video: 

How do I get Tile? 

Tile is offered at Sprint Stores – you can find a Sprint Store near you by navigating to www.sprint.com/store locator and entering your zip code.  Additionally, you can use the Sprint Zone app on your phone (where available) to locate a store and schedule an appointment!  

Tile comes in two varieties at Sprint stores: single pack and four pack.  The single pack is $24.99+tax (where applicable) and the four pack is $69.99+tax (where applicable) 

SAM_5903.JPG

Why Would I need Tile? 

How many times have you lost an item and spent countless minutes, hours, or even days searching for it? No longer will you need to with Tile.  Once you’ve connected a Tile to an item of your choosing, you are able to track it with the convenient and easy-to-use application on an Android or iOS smartphone. The tile has a convenient opening that fits on keyrings or carabiner clips; however, it can be adhered to surfaces such as the backs of tablets, laptop screens, external HDDs, etc. using double-sided adhesive (sold separately).  

My grandmother is the queen of lost items. We refer to her house as the Bermuda Triangle due to the number of items that have gone missing in the home over the years. One thing she loses the most, and seems to find eventually, is her keys. When I was younger, we always joked and told her she needed a tracker on them so she could locate them. So, she opted to keep them on her neck using a lanyard. Now, however, she can upgrade from a lanyard and move into Tile. Tile will allow her to track her keys and her smartphone, making it even more convenient.  Welcome to the future, grandma!   

If you’re like my grandmother, then you need Tile. I lose items constantly, or at least misplace them for a quick moment, so having Tile connected to the items I seem to lose the most makes losing/misplacing items hassle and worry free.  

What’s in the Box (4 Pack)? 

I purchased the 4-pack after receiving a single item from Tile. I did not have a box for an unboxing video/demonstration, so I wanted to purchase a full kit for the demonstration (video below). I opted for the four pack because I knew I could use at least five Tiles on various items (Keys, laptops, external battery charger, etc.).   

The box contains: 

4 – Tiles 

1 – Instructions/Warranty card (5 languages) 

I will admit that the packaging is too much for four Tiles. I hope that Tile can make the packaging smaller in the future to reduce material and size, as it is not necessary. However, that’s a minor issue at this time, especially considering that the Tile itself is 99.9% recyclable (Source).

SAM_5904.JPG

SAM_5905.JPG

Size of the Tiles 

Tiles are small and unobtrusive. I compared it to a cartridge for a Nintendo 3DS game, and as you can see, the size is nearly identical. It’s about 1.5” wide and 1.5” tall about and about ¼” thick, meaning it is really small when compared with other items such as a credit/debit card or even a key!  Here it is in comparison to a Nintendo 3DS cartridge:  

SAM_5906.JPG

SAM_5908.JPG

Initial Impressions 

I am already quite pleased with the Tiles I have, and I am planning to purchase more in the future. I am looking forward to the various uses with the Tile accessories and how these will help me find lost items.  I am especially interested in the crowd find option, which uses others’ tiles to help locate your own tiled item.  I’ll see if I can get that to work in another blog.   

I haven’t really lost anything yet, but I will “lose” an item soon to test out the capabilities of the Tile and how well it works.   

Unboxing video:

Stay tuned for future blog posts on some additional or unique uses of Tile, how to use the application, how to share your Tiles with others, etc. I’ll be back next week!

In the meantime, feel free to hit me up on Twitter @TroyGlidden and let me know how you use Tile! Also make sure to mention @TheTileApp and use hashtag #TiledIt!

Until next time!

~ Troy

0 Comments

I am going to admit it. I can be a bit scatter brained at times and as a result I often find myself frantically looking for things around the house that I have somehow lost.  My car keys tend to be one of the most frequent items to mysteriously disappear unexpectedly. Sure, my wonderful wife has created a designated bowl for me to set these as I enter the house but often much to her chagrin they end up in a void. This requires frantic searching through the house until the keys are found right where I left them.

Sound like you?

Wouldn?t it be great if there was a way to find those keys or other items easily when temporally gone missing?

This question and my long history of frustration is why I am so excited to try out the Tile. Tile is a tiny Bluetooth enabled device that ?helps find your lost stuff in seconds?. Sounds almost too good to be true and is certainly would be worth the price to end the stress of key finding.

Picture1.jpg

Sprint is carrying the Tile in stores as an accessory so as a lucky Product Ambassador I am going to be tying a couple of these out the next few weeks and will share my experience here with you.

Before getting started with my experience, let?s get started with information from Tile as an introduction. I will follow this introduction with my experience setting up the device and later with my experience using it since I am sure my keys will again find their way into the abyss of the couch or some other location soon.

How does it work?

The Tile is a BlueTooth enabled gadget that connects to your phone and operates via an App for Apple or Android.  There is reverse capability meaning you can use your phone to communicate with the Tile and the Tile can ping back with your phone.

How do you charge it?

You don?t! The tile has a built in battery that according to the company will last a year after activation. That sounds like a bit of a drawback so I would be sure and set up a reminder of when it will need to be replaced.

How much does it cost?

Here is the amazing thing. The Tile retails currently for $24.99 making it a super bargain and at that price it would be easy to have several.

What do I think about it?

Just intrigued at this point. Visit me again soon as I get set up and put the Tile to use. This is going to be fun!

0 Comments

hand.png

*image property of "www.thetileapp.com"

Ever lose something; we all have at one point in time. Tile aims to make a change with their product. They have created a tracker small enough to be placed anywhere and on anything to be used for keeping an eye on. Should the item become misplaced they provide a simplistic way for locating it.  Tile is the vision of one man's dream (Mike Farley’s) to help his wife find her lost items. He created the company and began a crowdfunding campaign to see if others would be interested in his idea. Well people were so much so that the company was able to raise the capital to go fulltime into the business. That was 3 years ago and to date the company is now in over 200 countries locating over half a million of items daily.

Tile is about an inch in diameter. It is square with a hole in one corner to allow connecting to items. Extremely light weight at only 1.3 ounces. Powered by a CR2032 battery. The battery will last nearly 2 years of productivity. Currently white but I am sure you can have it painted to match whatever you are connecting it to. Tile connects via Bluetooth 4.0 and is capable of working with applications developed for both the IOS and Android communities. In order to get started with the Tile you will need to download this application on the device you wish to pair the Tile to.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id664939913

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thetileapp.tile

Once installed follow the prompts to register an account. When logged in you will be presented an initial screen click the plus sign in the bottom right corner to begin setting up your first tile. Follow the display to begin pairing your Tile to your device. When your device is paired you will be advised to keep your Bluetooth services on in order to keep tracking the location of your item. When tiles are tracked you will see rings representing the visible range of the tile from your device. Full green is in range, dotted green is almost out of range and grey is completely out of range. Once setup on the main screen you will immediately see your connected Tile and your Device. Continue adding more tiles should you have more to add using the same process. On the main screen you have 2 tabs (List, Map). List displays your device and all your Tiles. Map gives a graphical display overlaying the location of the Tiles and your device on a map.

Screenshot_20160825-092450.pngScreenshot_20160824-102618.png Screenshot_20160824-102636.png  Screenshot_20160825-153547.png Screenshot_20160825-153606.png

Under the list when clicking a tile you will be presented the Tile screen. Here you can click the FIND button to locate your tile should it become misplaced. The Tile will start singing its tune for you to locate it. With the Tile application the location services works both ways as well. Where if you misplaced your device connected to the tile, the tile itself can help locate your device by clicking the "e" twice. This will alert your device to ring a tone to help locate it. While in the Tile screen under the options section you can view the location of your tile on the map. This is based on the last sync location your device and the Tile connected. The Share with option allows you to add friends and family to also see the Tiles in their devices should you lose contact but they still have connection they can help you find your Tile. Details allows you to change the name of your tile and even update a photo (add a picture of what the tile is associated with). Finally, help gives you answers to frequently asked questions or you can search for answer based on your needs.

Screenshot_20160825-163757.png  Screenshot_20160825-163807.png Screenshot_20160825-163825.png Screenshot_20160825-163815.png

The Tile is a neat tracking solution with dual functionality when it comes to tracking items and your own device. The simplistic setup process makes it very user friendly. Ultimately, I look forward with testing the abilities of the tracker and the Tile network. Please come back and review my follow up Blog regarding regular daily usage and how you can get the most of your tracker.

Disclaimer: