cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola e4 - Camera Review - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

I recently obtained the Motorola e4 and have found myself liking it more than I initially expected to! It’s a great budget-friendly device that packs in great design and functionality features that you can expect in other devices.

Today’s topic is the camera on the Moto e4 smartphone. The Moto e4 packs two cameras: 8 MP rear and 5 MP front. Although the rear camera may not be as high in terms of megapixels as other more advanced smartphones, it still performs quite well!

Camera Specs

Here are some camera specs for you if you’re interested:

Rear Cam:

• 8 MP
  • ƒ / 2.2 aperture
  • 1.12 um microns
  • 71° lens
  • Autofocus
  • Single LED flash

Front camera:

• 5 MP
  • ƒ / 2.2 aperture
  • 1.4 um microns
  • 74° lens
  • Fixed focus
  • Single LED flash

Specs courtesy of Motorola HERE

Two LED Flashes:

The Moto e4 packs not one, but two LED flashes: one for the rear cam and one for the front cam. This allows you to take the perfectly-lit selfie or normal shot whenever you want. Now you don’t have to fiddle with the lighting to make sure that you can capture you and your friends. Simply turn it to selfie mode, turn the flash on, and snap the shot. It’s that easy. 

(A word of warning from experience – the LED flash is bright, so be warned! )

The camera(s):

The camera operation is simple, and is similar to any other stock Android camera experience. It’s a simple interface with minimal buttons to clutter up the viewfinder, maximizing your viewing angle to snap the perfect shot. You can customize settings such as turning flash on/off, HDR on/off, and panorama in the settings.

The front camera is impressive at 5MP, especially with the accompanying flash. Selfies are no longer limited to the poor lighting at a venue. I take selfies with my wife at concerts a lot, and this phone would be a perfect companion at the next concert because the flash would allow me to add additional light that would otherwise wash out our faces.

The rear camera functions much better in low-light situations than the front camera with its f / 2.2 aperture. A flash might be helpful to use in some situations, but it isn’t inherently a requirement with this camera. In addition, the auto-focus on the camera is quick, allowing you to not miss the perfect opportunity for the perfect shot.

Who would this device be good for?

I think this device would be good for just about everyone, except maybe your power user who expects more out of his or her device in the photography and screen departments. Is your child ready for his or her first phone? The Moto e4 would be a perfect fit for a first phone. Looking for inexpensive but usable devices for your employees? The Moto e4 would fill this need, and save come coin in the process. Whatever your need, the Moto e4 is likely able to satisfy it.  Again, if you’re a power user, this is not likely the device for you.

The verdict:

The camera on the Moto e4 is pretty good, especially in a budget-friendly device. Sure, you can pay more for a device that has a better camera, but if you’re not looking to spend $700 - $800+ on a device just for a better camera, then the e4 is by far a great option! The camera launches quickly to snap the perfect shot, it auto-focuses almost immediately, and the shot quality is pretty good. I wouldn’t say it’s as good as some other higher-end devices, but it is absolutely good enough for everyday photo taking.

Here are some photos I took on my Moto e4 both with the front and rear cams:

Front facing camera fun with my youngestFront facing camera fun with my youngestFront-facing camera useFront-facing camera useColors aren't terribly washed out and pretty good detailColors aren't terribly washed out and pretty good detailNot one I wanted to showcase necessarily; however, the lighting is a simple fluorescent bulb above me and the low-light functionality of the rear camera lit the room up quite well! (This was after I destroyed my garage in search of some unwelcome guests recently..)Not one I wanted to showcase necessarily; however, the lighting is a simple fluorescent bulb above me and the low-light functionality of the rear camera lit the room up quite well! (This was after I destroyed my garage in search of some unwelcome guests recently..)We have color!We have color!Lillie in bloom - great detail!Lillie in bloom - great detail!Action shotAction shot

As always, thank you for reading, and stay tuned for other updates and tips and tricks on the Motorola e4! If you have questions or general feedback, please feel free to drop a comment below!

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

• e4
  • Moto e4
  • Motorola
  • motorola e4
  • Sprint Ambassador
  • Sprint Product Ambassador
4 Comments

Very nice photos!

Thank you, @wingland!!

I am quite impressed by this camera for being more of an "entry-level" smartphone! 

The action shot with the dog is great! 

Thank you @Alaskham01!!  She's a goober with the water -- I can't water anything without her getting involved. Smiley LOL