cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Tablet- Scam

Journeyman

Free Tablet- Scam

I've been a customer of Sprint since 2016.  When I signed up for a new plan, I was told that there was an option for a free tablet.  I honestly didn't want this item (as I already had two iPads that I wasn't using).  The salesperson said it was absolutely free because I signed up for 4 lines, so I should take it.  I confirmed with him that there would be no charges for this item and that data would not be set up on the device.  I only took the tablet (ALCATEL one touch Pixi-7) thinking I could perhaps donate it to a local school or distract one of my young nieces with it.  

Fast forward over a year, and I see that there's a reoccurring charge on my bill for $15 a month to pay for data.  I did not want this device, I had no need for data to be set up, and I certainly had no intention of paying for it.  In fact, the first time I ever turned it on was to see if there was data being sent to the device (this was after it had sat in its box for 14 months).   There is simply no logical argument that I would have ported all my family's phones to the least expensive plans (which Sprint offered) and THEN agreed to pay for a monthly service on a product I never used.   

Sprint customer service offered to lower the rate on the tablet plan when I called, but this is not acceptable.  I still don't need (nor want) this device.  In fact, every time I look at the tablet it just reminds me of my disgust with this whole situation.  I can see on these forums and on the internet that Sprint retailers are notorious for this pattern of deceptive behavior (which is considered a "Deceptive Trade Practice" in my state).  

Everything about this suggests an intentional scheme to defraud customers.  So, either (i) Sprint is not clearly conveying its "deals" to its retail shops; or (ii) Sprint is encouraging its retailers to trick customers into paying for unwanted services.  

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: Free Tablet- Scam

That is no good. I wouldn't want to pay for something I thought was free myself. Let me go ahead and look into this a little further for you. I'm going to send you a private message so I can get some account info?

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

join the sprint club... I had the same exact thing happen and the guy that set up my service on my plan for 5 lines told me the monthly price would be $... guess what it was WAY more. when I talked to sprint they basically said sorry... I also went into a sprint store and they told me the same thing... sorry... so to shut off all the devices and move to another carrier after 17 years with sprint suddenly became my option but the 1600.00 to do that is ridiculous. as soon as my plan is done BYE BYE sprint.. forever......

Journeyman

Same thing has happened to me!!  It has been a nightmare since March of 2018.  I never went into the store wanting nothing but to upgrade my son's Iphone.  I did the upgrade and they then notified me I could get another Iphone free with a new line.  I told them I did not need a new line or another phone so that is when they offered the "free" tablet.  I figured I could use it for my grandkids.  I accepted and they have charged me both for the device and the monthly service.  I have been dealing with this since March.  I want my money back and they will not give it to me and as a matter of fact they want to charge me for "breaking a contract" and bill me for the balance on the "free" tablet.  

Wizard

Wow, that's crazy. I would like to look into this for you. I'm going to send you a private message now.

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

This just recently happened to me and my BF. They told us both same day he was talking to them at work and I was at home because we were adding my nieces phone to our plan. The man told me that I have 2 free tablets, 5 free lines and I have a free upgrade to a Galaxy note 9. I told him no thankyou and he has to speak to Michael. I didnt even know that my BF was talking to customer service to for the same exact thing. Long story short he was told the same exact thing everything is free for being a long time loyal customer because he was a customer since Nextel. Today October 1 2018 they told him he has to pay for the tablets and line or return the tablets and pay a cancellation fee and he was talking to the higher ups. But they don't know that I recorded my conversation because they did this to us before but with one tablet and accessories. I really hope someone that works for sprint reads this because I really don't want to take this the legal way. I write down everything when it comes to Sprint and there offers. 

Sprint Social Care

We would be happy to take a look at this situation and try to get it turned around for you.  Please PM your contact info and we will reach out. 

Journeyman

The same thing is happening to me and as I was being charged $20 a month for something I didnt use and I called trying to cancel it just to even double down on it. And years later I find out they never canceled it and I got charged $20 a month for years this is ridiculous. How sprint thinks they can just get away with this is utterly insane! I've been getting nothing but lies to me over the past month about this situation and my phone service keeps getting shut off. As soon as my plan is up I'm gone 6 years of service thanks for nothing sprint.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hi Eggnats. I'm going to shoot you a private message so we can get some account details and figure out what's going on. Be on the lookout. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

This is exactly what im going through. They spoke with my wife and assured her it was free. After a couple months, I noticed the Bill went up almost 30$ and I called 2 separate times about it. Both times they credited the account. After realizing they are a bunch of crooks, both with coverage maps and multiple bogus charges, we switched back to Verizon. I called earlier today about giving the "free" tablet back to avoid the 93$ charge, and I'm told if we have it back, we still owe the money. How ridiculous is that? The Sprint guy even said it was sketchy but there wasn't anything he could do. He sent through their noted to see where they told us it free but couldn't find anything. HOW ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?????

Journeyman

This is exactly what im going through. They spoke with my wife and assured her it was free. After a couple months, I noticed the Bill went up almost 30$ and I called 2 separate times about it. Both times they credited the account. After realizing they are a bunch of crooks, both with coverage maps and multiple bogus charges, we switched back to Verizon. I called earlier today about giving the "free" tablet back to avoid the 93$ charge, and I'm told if we have it back, we still owe the money. How ridiculous is that? The Sprint guy even said it was sketchy but there wasn't anything he could do. He sent through their noted to see where they told us it free but couldn't find anything. HOW ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?????

Journeyman

I feel your pain. I am dealing with the same thing. 

I have been dealing with this issue for way to long. 

On 12/14/18 I a sprintstore to upgrade my daughter's iPhone. When the sales rep looked up our account information she said that it was our 8 year anniversary with Sprint and that we would be getting a "free" iPad and Sprint drive devices. I thought okay, cool. I could use an iPad. She then proceeded to change my current account and put me on auto-pay. She had said that everything was still unlimited, so okay. To make a long story short imagine my surprise when I checked my bill and saw charges for $19.99 and $5 a month for devices that were "free". After going back and forth with Sprint and being told the issue would be escaltaed (of course it was not) they said since it was past the 30 days I could take it back to the store and maybe have to pay a restocking fee or if I canceled the device I would then have to pay for the iPad the again was "free".

I wentback to the  store on 1/19/19 to try and return the iPad and was told the manager would be back shortly. I was also told by one of the sales reps that they have had this issue before with that particular sales rep before and the "free" iPad. I told him I wanted that added to my account about the conversation we had and he said he would add it. Did he? I do not know. Anyway it appeared the sales rep and the manager were texting each other back and forth and I was told  because it was past 30 days the manager had to talk to her bosses. I was told I would be contacted within 2 business days which was yesterday and now today is 3. I called the store but was told that mamager had left for the day but that you would be there all day on Thursday which would now be 4 business days. This has gone on way too long. I would like some resolution for the "Deceptive Trade Practice" that goes on at Sprint.

I'm not asking for much, I just want to return the iPad and the Sprint drive and have them removed from my account. Is that too much to ask for not being given full disclosure? At this point I just feel like I am getting the run around.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat