Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about eligibility to sign up

Go to solution
Journeyman

Questions about eligibility to sign up

Hi Sprint.

I'm not a current customer. I am interested in your BYOD one-year free plan.

I currently have service through AT&T's prepaid/GoPhone plan. My phone from that service is not eligible for your BYOD plan.

I also currently own a used S7 Edge that is locked to the Sprint network. It was previously used by a Sprint customer but now has no service/a clean ESN.

When I input that phone's IMEI into your website to confirm phone eligibility, it says the phone is eligible for service. Separately, when I input my current phone number from my AT&T service into your site, it says my number is eligible to be ported over.

My questions are:

1) Am I eligible to sign up for the BYOD one-year free service using this Sprint phone that does not currently have service on it? I do have service, just on another non-eligible device.

2) If so, how? The screen to sign up asks for IMEI and phone number, and I do not have both on one device that are eligible.

3) If not, is there any way I could be eligible by signing up another way?

4) Ideally I could use this Sprint phone and keep my old phone number. Is this possible?

Thank you so much for any help.

14 REPLIES 14
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Questions about eligibility to sign up

Howdy bp7550, super stoked to have you joining the family. Here's the info you were needing. 

Q1) Am I eligible to sign up for the BYOD one-year free service using this Sprint phone that does not currently have service on it? I do have service, just on another non-eligible device.
A1) This deal has been extened for a limited time. No experation date is currently showing, but it's best to act quickly. Eligible: 
* Customer: 
* Individual/Individual account type ONLY 
* Specific phone models with Sprint SIM card purchase (check the BYOD tool on Sprint.com)
* Phone lines only (no tablets)
* $5 AutoPay adjustment brings plan cost to $0
* Port-in required 

Q2) If so, how? The screen to sign up asks for IMEI and phone number, and I do not have both on one device that are eligible.
A2)   Customers must still go through the http://www.sprint.com/1yearfree  or call the dedicated Telesales number 866-782-8777 for activation on the promo plan.

Q3) If not, is there any way I could be eligible by signing up another way?
A3) NA

Q4) Ideally I could use this Sprint phone and keep my old phone number. Is this possible?
A4) As long as you port your number in you will be able to keep your current number. 

Let me know if you needing anything else. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Hi Cat, thanks for the help. I should have been clearer. Let me try explaining my question another way:

Right now I have phone service with one phone. That phone itself (the actual device, IMEI) isn't compatible to use.
I also have a Sprint phone with no current service to it.

When I put the Sprint phone's IMEI into this site it says it is eligible for service: https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/bring-your-own-phone.html

When I put my current phone number into this site it says it's eligible to port: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/account-and-billing/bring-your-existing-number-to-sprint...

But the two are not connected. The page to sign up for the one year free special asks for both IMEI and phone number. I have both but not on one device. Am I still able to sign up?

Give me a couple mins to look into this. Normally the AT&T number would come with AT&T phone and we could see about adding to our data base. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.

Alrighty, you should be able to take advantage of this deal with the used Sprint phone. I would suggest completing a hard reset on the device to make sure it's good to go. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

Hi Cat - can you tell me how to sign up in that case? The get started page asks for my imei number and phone number. But putting both in together, probably as they are from two devices, causes it to say ineligible even though separately they're both eligible.

With this situation the best advice I've got is to call 866-782-8777 to set everything up. Talking to a person has a smidge more flexibility than a website.   

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. I will think about it, but there are so many posts on this board from the company stating that you must sign up online to get the deal (and also posts by people who called to activate and were not given the deal) that I am reluctant to try and do it successfully over the phone. I will consider my options. Appreciate your time.

You're welcome. I went back to the beginning of the conversation. The thing I'm concerned about is a phone that's already locked to the Sprint network. This would tell me it wasn't released from the previous owner. What phone do you currently have? I would like to confirm if it's not eligible at all, or if it can be added. Adding the phone to the database can take 7-10 days. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

By "locked," I mean the phone has a model number of G935P and is meant for use with Sprint. It's a Galaxy S7 Edge. The ESN is clean and when I put the IMEI into the 'check device compatibility' link for the Sprint site, it says it's eligible.

But I still can't figure out how or if it's possible to bring it over on the BYOD deal if I do not have service with this specific phone, but with another device instead. I don't think it's possible from what I am seeing.

Alright, I felt this situation out with my team. Since the phone that was on Sprint before is inactive, there should be no issues with adding it to your number. So, we'll want to verify that the phone you want to use is coming up in our system. If it isn't, we can add to the database.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Gotcha. What's the best way to check that? Thank you for helping with this!!
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat