Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges and Potential Issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Roaming Charges and Potential Issues?

First, does this still apply:

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Network-and-Coverage/Domestic-Roaming/td-p/983605

From the url included there:

==============================================================================================
"Know what data limits apply when roaming in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands"
https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/know-what-data-limits-apply-when-roaming-i... "Sprint will suspend your data roaming service when you exceed your limit. The data roaming suspension only limits access to data while roaming; there is no impact to voice or text while roaming and all service while on the Sprint network will remain available.*

*Mobile broadband devices offer additional options that are not available for mobile phones. With mobile broadband devices:

At 100%, you will have the option to suspend your data roaming service for the month or continue to use it and pay the overage charges.

If charges are accepted, you will continue to receive text or email notifications at 20% increments.
Data roaming is 25¢/MB (for plans starting after August 8, 2010) after you hit your plan's monthly data roaming limit.
If you signed up or changed your plan after August 8, 2010, and you reach your limit, we'll send you to a special web page.
Click Restore service to accept any overage charges for the rest of your billing cycle. If you have an older plan, contact us to see if you can change to a plan that will accept overage charges.

**Roaming charges could be delayed up to 60 days; notifications may be delayed based on when roaming partners provide usage details. Customers using Static IP or DataLink will not receive notifications and will not be suspended.

==============================================================================================

Second, this concerns me because all my data usage via hot spot on the GS10+ have gone to "roaming" even though the phone has NOT left the premises and I was ATTEMPTING to use it as my hotspot for internet access. The phone conflicts - one place says not roaming, and another (data usage) shows all the data was roaming usage. A conundrum comes up because ...

IF I disable ALL roaming-related items, I only get 3G service - that's it, no 4G/LTE and of course performance would be horrible trying to use as my hot spot.

Second, from information learned from investigation of other issues it APPEARS to one as ignorant as myself that the 4G/LTE service for me is PREDOMINANTLY provided via a cross-provisioning agreement with other carriers (Verizon in this case so far) as the only time I seem to get good service and that works only when I have roaming (domestic, not international) items enabled.

N.B. this is as yet UNCONFIRMED, but have only a couple cases where I knew enough to even look for it and then had acquired the tools to look for it.

So I really need a definitive answer to the question: will the ersatz "roaming" data usage result in POTENTIAL charges to me even though the phone has never left the house (best memory - maybe I carried in my pocket when I visited my daughter on the other side of town one time)?

FYI: my on-going issues have now been referred to networking people, whom I hope to hear from soon.

Thanks for any knowledge/help.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Roaming Charges and Potential Issues?

would probably help if you added in a general area where the problem is happening so the agent that pops in to help has a bit of an idea of where to start looking..

zip code and closest cross streets only...no physical address.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, during a full month of pursuing tech issues in many chat sessions and a couple phone calls, I had provided zip and cross streets in my original post concerning the technical issues.

Being U.S. resident and seldom going anywhere it didn't cross my mind that a question regarding the roaming charges still applying or not would need zip and such.

Zip 27217, cross streets Idlewild Ave. and Lakeview Dr.

I'm NOT roaming but if I don't turn on domestic roaming I can't get anything but 3G. I assume, based on some cell related apps I tried that a cross-service agreement with other carries is in play out here in the boonies and I'm usually (often ?) getting service from a Verizon tower which does have good signal out here. There hot spot worked beautifully for the brief time I used it.

I also observed once the MMC/MNC/PCI codes in one of the apps indicated a Verizon tower.

Thanks for the response and I still hope that this particular style of "roaming" is not treated as the commonly understood "roaming".
Highlighted
GrandMaster

the only thing the agents can see in here starting off is your name..nothing about your account or any notes or whatnot from previous chats..until they get more info from you..main reason i mentioned posting the location info..gives them a place to start off...once they check towers and their locations to you they can try to figure out what is going on.

what did the chat techs say?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Thanks @fireguy_6364. Hi @WitLessIdiot! I reviewed your area in attempt to determine the cause of your device getting 3G coverage and having to roam. The area provides good data signal, but there are some spots where you'll experience fair coverage (the 3G speed that you're getting). This can be caused by a few things like distance from tower or if you're being interrupted by obstructions such as; trees, hills, valleys, etc. I'm guessing that you've already tried some stuff to improve your connection. Have you already tried resetting your network settings by dialing ##SCRTN# (##72786#) and restarting the phone? Do you get better signal in other locations? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364Didn't know if this would interest you, but since you are offering what you can I wanted to keep you posted. I've tried to post all I can (but not up-to-date right now) at https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/Connectivity-Samsung-Galaxy-S10-Odyssey-to-Unexpected-Oddity...

I've a bunch of screenshots taken from various apps that try to provide signal/tower info that I've not yet uploaded to here (contained further down in that thread I started). https://bit.ly/2zHLU1Q

@Sprint_AyanaThanks for following up. I have more than what's shown below but, in all honesty, I got so tired of doing this stuff that I just stepped away for a break after reducing my plan from the 100MB unlimited.

I'd say I feel like a "new man" but I'm still an "old man". :-))

From 5/28 chat transcript. I can't say how many times I've done this since the beginning.

=====================================

Oliver N :
  1. From the home screen, tap Phone.
  2. Dial ##72786#. Note: The final # will not appear on the screen. The device will restart and initiate Hands Free Activation.
  3. Once the activation is complete, tap OK.
  4. Once the PRL is updated, tap OK.
  5. Tap OK to restart the device.
Oliver N : I have reported the issue to our network team so that they will be aware of your specific location.Sprint is continuously working to expand our cell sites and their ability to support more areas.
You : I was told it had already been reported and I should here from them in, typically, 24-72 working hours, which would be through tomorrow."

Net result was no observable improvement.

More transcript stuff will come in another post.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Sprint_Ayana @fireguy_6364 From a subsequent session 5/28 again (getting disconnected several times that day). I edited out things that I think don't add anything useful in this thread.

=======

Natasha L : You are connected to technical department now.

You : Geez. That's not what I was looking for - but if you can solve, AT LAST, my inability to reliably use my unlimited hot spot on Sprint facilities I'll be glad to spend time with you.

You : I have been told, 3 times now, that my problem had been sent to network folks and I would hear from them., No contact from them so far.

Natasha L : May I know what is the exact issue you are experiencing with hotspot?

You : And this moring signal acting as it always has - "acceptable" for use if I keep the phone under my montor and if I move it out from under the monito signal degrades rabidly to unusable levels - -11x to -12x dBm. NOTE: TYPOS - s/b ~-11x to ~-12x dBm.

You : What I just type. Since day 1 - I had two days, only on a weekend, when I could use it to feed my LAN.

You : I KNOW phone is good and I KNOW signal is LOUSY now. A bevy of snapshots of SIM status with signal, and several apps confiming bad signal with MCC PCI, ... also showing those results and confirmed by speedtes.net IF I can ever keep a signal reliable enough to make it worth running.

You : Srint maps said coverage here was "good" be last night (about 5 hour session) even the Sprint guy said didn't look so good.

Natasha L : Please help me with your full address, let me validate the coverage in your area.

You : Been here, done that. [redacted] NC 27217. I've post in the community about this and even have a snippet of the coverage map showing "good".

Natasha L : I am sorry to inform you network is choppy on the address you have provided above. ... and we have already escalated the issue to our network team. However upgrading the towers ... sprint is continually working to expand our cell sites and their ability to support indoor and outdoor locations.

You : "lready escalated the issue to our network team"

You : Heard that before too. Also heard they would be in touch with me. Didn't happen. Being out in the boonies I know they don't prioritize the facilities that serve me, but they should not have LIED about coverag showing "good".

====

Then went on discussing billing adjustments and ultimately downgrading my plan since I could not rely on the signal unless I left the GS10+ sitting under my monitor.

More transcript ...

====

Natasha L : Where the coverage is fair in your area, there are no known issues or reported outages so far.

You : Figures. I gues "choppy" is not a known issue? How about custumer unable to use service (facilities and equipment) what was told could be done? Is that not a known issue when reported and investifgated and attempted to be resolved or a period of a month?

Natasha L : Network can be fair and choppy to an address because of its distance from the nearby cell tower. And here your there are no towers in the 5 mile of radius of your address due to which signal strength is weak and not up to the mark for the address. And I am really sorry this can not be considered as known issue or outage.
You : I have apps that showed 2.2 miles. Also cross-service aggreements in play have at least once connected me to Verizon tower where I had good signal and performance once that I was able to see. [NOTE: I don't know enough to validate the 2.2 miles stuff or the apps that led me there. That was one app with an arrow and I used Google maps to calculate distance. Don't KNOW it's good.]

You : But it dumb for me to argue those things with sprint. I've nothing to add to the conversation unless you have new information that might lead to a solution. I now wish to change my paln to the lowest-cost option. This because I told others I would try to stick with it to solution through most of the 60 day period, but I'm not willng to pae at ta rate for which I could expect my goals to be met and have it faail badly to meet those goals.
You : Please excuse typos - I'm lousy when calm and worse when not.
====
Rest of transcript discussion of downgraded plan details.

Since then I've added more data points including screenshots with phone under monitor and not under (moved ~3.5' southeast) to sit next to my newest data point.

That is my LG Stylo (VS835) from Verizon sitting there getting MUCH STRONGER dBm readings than the Galaxy when I sit it right next to it (spaced about 6" apart).

The Verizon phone even gets better readings than when the GS10+ is under the monitor. It varies but ROUGHLY the Verizon phone gets about ~-84dBm to ~-88dBm while the GS10 under the monitor gets MOSTLY ~95dBm with some variation briefly to -92dBm and occasionally degrades to ~-98dBm.
If I move the GS10+ next to the Verizon phone it quickly tanks into the roughly high -11xdBm to mid -12x dBm range.

I do appreciate everybody's effort to help, but I'm thinking "lost cause" here figure I'll have to abandon efforts completely around 3rd week in June and head elsewhere unless something improves big before then.

BTW, I should not that many walks around the outside of the house, with frequent long pauses confirms weak signal outside the house too.

My theory about improvement under monitor is either signal strengthened by the metal stand focusing signals, or acting as antenna or it's shielding out contentious signals or all of those? Too ignorant to know if even possible.
Highlighted
Journeyman

@Sprint_Ayanaand @fireguy_6364 I don't know if any of this will help anyone, but as part of MY efforts to resolve I captured a lot of screen shots and ran a few apps that APPEARED to one as ignorant as myself to provide information that might be useful to someone.

I posted in hope.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/Connectivity-Samsung-Galaxy-S10-Odyssey-to-Unexpected-Oddity...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

what state do you live in?

Highlighted
Journeyman

N.C. zip 27217.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

everywhere you go in Burlington you only get 3G? or you get LTE but in certain areas you only get 3G and or roaming?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't go anywhere with this phone. It travels from under my monitor to 3.5' away, next to the Verizon LG Stylo V2 (VS835) so I can compare signals (in dBm).

So, when I turn OFF roaming, all I get here is 3G.

I thought I saw a post from you asking what it did if I take to Burlington. I was replying when my 'puter decided to lock and then reboot.

Anyway, this weekend when I don't need to have everything up and workig like "God Intended", I'll take the two phones out for a ride with some rest stops and record what happens.

Thanks for following up.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat