cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Drive Operation

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Drive Operation

I just got Sprint Drive a few days ago.  It appears to work as described, but I have a major problem:  It only works when a) the engine is on and b) you are driving.

According to the start guide, it stops working 10 minutes after the engine is turned off and/or a maximum of 30 minutes after the car has stopped moving -- even if the engine is running.

Is there a way to speak to developers to ask for a new feature?  I have an Android head unit that requires wifi for internet access.  If I want to sit in my car and listen to streaming music, I have to leave the engine on to do this -- and still can only do it for 30 minutes.  If I want to drive to the beach or park and sit in my car and stream, this unit doesn't allow me to do that.

Who can I contact to place my vote for this new feature?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Hi there. The features that are built in to shut off the device after a set time is to prevent unnecessary battery drain on the car. Because it requires the battery/car be on to keep the device running/provide power, it can't last for an extended period of time while the car is off. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Highlighted

Understood.  But, 10 minutes? You guys should give us at least an hour?  Or, better yet, update firmware to give us the option to choose a time limit.  If the unit can monitor the battery, it should be able to let us know what reasonable limits are.  That's a request I would love to be able to make.

Thank you for reply.

@OldGreg_Sprint wrote:

Hi there. The features that are built in to shut off the device after a set time is to prevent unnecessary battery drain on the car. Because it requires the battery/car be on to keep the device running/provide power, it can't last for an extended period of time while the car is off. 

Highlighted

It's part of a weird do-si-do they dance with the federal government.

It started when Sprint was first with WiMax, and the other 3 triple teamed Sprint by cooperation in LTE.  The advantage is LTE is more efficient per Mb/s.   Remember WiMax was primarily designed as a WIreless Home Cable Substitute.  Even Time Warner and Comcast, 2 cable internet companies, were partners in WiMax.

Sprint thought they could offer LTE in motion just like the others, and WiMax when stationary.  Unfortunately, supposedly (is it scientific or hysteria?),  WiMax and LTE do not co-exist on the same tower very well, whihc is one reason why T Mobile and Sprint are merging.  T Mobile will be mobile net towers with LTE and an LTE-based 5G, and Sprint will be stationary net tower. and have WiMax and a WiMax-based 5G.

Sprint had enough internet bandwidth where they can selectively offer people in areas where there are no land-based, low-ping carriers with a Data cap of 1 TB or more with more than the government definition of broadband, which in 2010 was 3 Mb/s in, and 1 Mb/s out, and now is 25 Mb/s in 3 Mb/s out.  For short, let's call addresses without such interent Red Zones

Unfortunately, despite legislation by the feds SAYING they want the nation to have universal broadband availability, they require Sprint to have an "offer-one-offer-all" rule, where anyone can request to have home based cellular internet for the same rate with the same terms as Red Zone customer.  Yet they don't require my local cable company, Time Warner, and later Spectrum, to serve US at the same cost as those who already have cable down their street.

Since then, Sprint always tried to offer as much as they can. One was unlimited internet + phone and text for $25. only problem, only appliance that can use the data is your cell phone. Another was Sprint Drive in which you CAN play a Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch Online On the road, and if one WERE able to carry an Xbox One or Playstation 4 with them and a separate TV, one of those, (If it's legal, an RV or Mini-Winnie while in motion)   The only proble is once you stop moving and/or turn off the gas, the device stops.

Every change seems to punish people like me, despite the fact they say they want to help.   There are even PeraltaProducts.com USB driving simulators which let anyone fake out this type of device and grant unlimited home internet.  And Spritn has a rule in the clause of their Sprnt Drive Terms of Use that prohibit this type of device.   I was going to subscribe if the terms were silent on use of such things, but it SPECIFICALLY prohibits this device.

I would like to like to subscribe to Sprint Drive by the day, even if the rate is $2 a day, more per day than the monthly rate of $25/month (28-31 days),  If Sprint doesn't offer it normally to just anyone, my friend said I'd do a good ob streaing on Twitch, and I got a 3DS and a Switch, and lots of free time.  Even if you give no free sponsorships, if Sprint would like t spon

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat