cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from old data capped plan to Unlimited plan. Data deprioritization?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Switch from old data capped plan to Unlimited plan. Data deprioritization?

I feel like my data service is always deprioritized and I am wondering if it's because I am on an old plan. When LTE first came to my city, speeds were great. I can only assume because of congestion things have gotten worse. Understandable. However there has been a significant drop off within the last year in regards to quality of data service. More congestion? Could be and likely. I have my in-laws on our plan as well and they have noticed the same thing and they live in a different part of the city.

I'm curious if my data is deprioritized more than people on current plans? How could I tell? Or is it really just too congested in my city for Sprint? I get a good signal in most places, the data service is just poor or too crowded.

Tempted to switch plans to a newer plan just to test it out. I've stayed with my current plan because I don't need more data. I'd just like better data.

Current plan: 40GB High Speed Data Share

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Switch from old data capped plan to Unlimited plan. Data deprioritization?

Excellent questions Bobbis27. With the Unlimited plans, deprioritization may happen during peak times after 50 GB. Here's a handy article regarding this issue: SOLUTION: Does Sprint throttle data speeds of customers on Unlimited data?

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I am more curious about data deprioritization on my current plan. Does it occur at all since I am on a non-unlimited plan? If it does occur, when does it occur? Where do data capped plans rank in priority? If capped plans aren't data deprioritized at all, then I think I have my answer in regards to Sprint's quality of data service in my city. If it's not deprioiritized it just means it's too congested in my city for Sprint or just poor quality.

Highlighted

Hey Bobbis27! on a capped data plan, we don't prioritize speed once you reach your limit(in your case 40gb), but you'll be on 2G data speeds until your billing period turns over, unless you've got auto-buy up for additional data at $15/GB enabled on your account.  

How many lines are on your plan and what's your typical data usage? If you're using more than 40GB monthly, and it's just one line of service, I highly recommend moving to our unlimited plans, as you're going to get more value out of that plan type and see better data performance even with prioritization vs 2G speeds. 

Bummer! I was hoping there was data (de)prioritization going on with my capped plan as to explain the quality of service. We have 4 lines and we've yet to exceed our 40GB limit since we've been on this particular plan. I'm pretty patient with the service, but others on my plan are not. Additionally, we'll be adding a tweenager to the account soon and I don't want to hear about it how her friend's phones work and hers doesn't (she goes to school near a heavily trafficked area so data service is always a problem, even when Sprint was working great in the rest of the city).

What's the ZIP code and cross streets near the school? I can check the network conditions in that area if you like!

It's 50266. I'll send you a PM with the intersection.

Sounds good!

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat