cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The good wimax can do in 2019.

Journeyman

The good wimax can do in 2019.

I got a weird question. Why is Sprint willing to give unlimited internet for all devices for $25 with Sprint Drive, yet just restrict to car use? Why is Sprint's also willing to give $25 unlimited talk text and data but limit the devices that could use that data? Why does it seem like Sprint could offer the world to everybody except for the data poorest area like me? Why does the government give fiscally poor people subsidies the buy cell phones a knot bed with poor people subsidies to get decent speeds and internet the way they want to use it.?

I think the answer is the universal embrace of LTE. Sprint was the lone hold out until 2013. I was actually waiting for Sprint's alternative called WiMAX. Which actually came out first, And it's actually more optimized for me.

Sprint was in the WiMAX partnership along with cable companies Time Warner and Comcast, dabbler in all technologies internet known as EarthLink, Clear, the company who came up with the WiMAX standard and a couple other companies. Their goal, which I applaud, was bringing cable like internet speeds to households who wrre ttough to wire cable for.

There is a cable company who is technically not in our community but surrounds the entire community and only goes down streets necessary to connect the networks. They were Time Warner Cable now Spectrum.

Our local township took a neutral stance towards utilities,. Neither block any utilities nor subsidize any utilities. The weird thing is cablebcompaniesvwanted Monopoly protection when they were claiming streets what it was to their benefit then wanted to lift the Monopoly restrictions at act in the free market when they basically blocked competition out of an area. Basically Time Warner got monopoly, to keep competition out of streets, then basically got the right to refuse streets that they surround and now because they're no longer a monopoly according to law don't have to service us but they blockaded a sin so where else are we going to go?

This is exactly the type of situation WiMAX was made for. Time Warner and Spectrum threatened us with six-figure insulation figures to have the privalege to have cable. In the old days towns like our said f them,. We got satellite for our pay TV. The problem is that satellite internet is worse than dial-up for gaming.

In 2007 there was no government helping bridging the digital divide. We had to do it ourselves,. That's when cellular became as quick as DSL, we got Sprint for $60 a month.

By the time in 2013 when extended-range DSL came now having an outer ring between 3 and 5 miles of a barely serviceable area. Frontier gave us 1.5 meg in, 400k out, under 150 milliseconds ping, an unlimited data quantity 440 bucks a month.

It sounds slightly better but maybe Sprint improved. Sprint did improve all righ, but probably not the way that would have benefited us. They said we could have a 4G LTE for 60 bucks a month and the speed I don't remember, but I did I know we're way faster than what Frontier offered. The problem is they had very low data caps.

Now Sprint nibbles around the edges but doesn't quite hit the creamy center. They offer unlimited talk text and data for $25 the catch is all data must be phone based. No playing Nintendo or Xbox online.

They took another nibble with Sprint Drive twenty-five bucks unlimited internet they can be hooked up to non-traditional devices. Only problem is it only works in a car. And as soon as they heard someone physically was able to use it outside of a car, they putting clauses that made it against the agreement to do so.  

No matter what I do I can't get unlimited internet at home for my Xbox and Nintendo. But I know how WiMAX can be used again as that solution.

Sprint argues that the reason they don't give Nintendos and Xboxes there proper access is because their data hogs.

I don't know how that notion got started but I believe video takes up more bandwidth than gameplay. even as early as 1982 with the quintessential example being Dragon's Lair. Gameplay-wise Dragons Lair was gamewise simple. It was quick time events before the term was invented. The video was the selling point. It was so clear well animated and detailed that it came on LaserDisc. a format that had excellent video at the time and had very small computer-like capabilities like conditional branching based on a time code . the original home version proposed was supposed to fit on a ColecoVision cartridge for the game portion and they were going to sell you a selectavision for the video. Selectavision by the way is the needle based disc format as opposed to LaserDisc which is light based.

A lot of the other games at the time could fit under one meg. Usually 64k or less. a game that's totally computer-generated could fit in 64k and be more complex game than a primarily movie game which the movie data takes an entire LaserDisc.

It seems like Sprint thinks every game is a streaming game,. Meaning all the game's instructions on the fly via the internet. Currently at worst the instructions ( the ROM code) are online and usually take a day for someone like me to load them, but once they exist lically the data needed to network the game is limited.

I don't blame Sprint for getting that impression when Xbox advertises the network is so big that every piece of shrapnel is computed online.

The point is video takes way more data thelan 3 megabits in 1 megabit out per second. They allow you to watch video on the road sometimes in 4k quality, on screens so small where 4k quality is unnoticeable, but they don't allow online gaming.  

But Sprint believes that's home games are the data hog even though they give road base games unlimited internet with the Sprint Drive. But they complain that Home Internet is just too much.

The exact reason why wimax was canceled, namely great home internet, but poor road internet,. Is exactly the reason why they should reinstate it. Lt Sprint a pessimist when it comes to wimaxmb they focus on poor road internet. instead of abandon it for what it can't do, let's let its do a job it can do like be a good home internet, and benefit both.

I can't get an official answer, but I heard that WiMAX uses less "resources" per megabit per second than LTE does, assuming both are stationary. LTE's superiority to WiMAX is evidenced on the freeway.

I know towers are smart enough the kick-off people based on a priority list and their automatic drop downs when you kick them down to 2G,. Which is just a flowery name for something twice as fast as dial up. When basic DSL is 30 times dial up, 2G is dial up in every way except technically. If you're going to kick us down to something to save bandwidth, then kick it down to something that's beneficial to everyone. The exact people you're trying to keep off the network what benefit from going down from LTE to WiMAX when stationary, and has just as much bandwidth savings probably as a dropping down from LTE to 2G.

Instead of a Peralta device that tricks the network into thinking it's in motion,. Let's have a Peralta device that's honest and is declaring itself to be stationary,.And is voluntarily entering stationery mode,. And then turns the Sprint Drve Device into a WiMAX device,. Which is good for Sprint because itb saves bandwidth, and gived perslta users exactly what they want, unlimited, fast, stationary internet for their Xboxes and Nintendo's.

I think most paralta users would gladly trade in the difference between LTE's maximum speed and wimax's maximum speed in return for not being labeled a criminal by using stationary internet torvtheir non-phone devicrs. And it would probably be preferable for Sprint to save bandwidth so they can afford to give Pearlta users a legal stationery option.

If there's one other practical place it would work that would be social events,. Like college and pro sports. Some college stadiums regularly host 100000 + people. And assuming they all use the internet there's one other thing for sure we can assume about them. They're not going to be moving between two hours before kickoff and 30 minutes after the results of the game are determined.  

This happens many more places on small-scale like high school games having about 500 -1000 users. And in a normally not busy tower. If freeway traffic passing through an area is approximately the same and has no highs lows seasons rush hours etc, you don't have to accommodate 10 times that many people when there's a high School stadium you already double it and set the ones watching the game to WiMAX because they're not going anywhere until the game is over. So it said a multiplying your resources by 10 to accommodate a high School stadium you only need to double it. But since you already 10xed it, instead of expanding too many more X, costing more money,. Instead be more efficient what you currently have. If you know people are standing still take advantage of it let it benefit them to declare themselves stationary or in motion and your network will adjust accordingly.

also you don't go to a tourist attraction steering it for one second and turn the car around and go home. You actually do stuff at the destination from at least an hour maybe more depending on circumstances. Sometimes when you go shopping you have to actually take time to shop. Stationary internet is not just for me it's for everyone.

Vulcan logic assumes good is measured by the number of people it helps. That's why it defies Vulcan logic that multiple friends on the Enterprise are willing to risk careers and possible loss of life for chance to reverse Spock's death. If you factor in the quantity of good versus loss and the odds of favor versus unfavor then you can use a Vulcan formula to figure out weather more good was done trying to revive spot than not. It may not sound like much good to the many but there is little harm to the many plus great good to the few who are bam with an average like me. There is just as much value to helping the one in extremely large ways as there is to helping the many in small ways.

Finally a final selling point. I assume your owm stationary cellular at a restaurant or shopping place or other stationary attraction is safer than a public Wi-Fi offered by the same establishment, you don't need a virtual private Network. You have an actual private Network. Thieves need your individual password to enter your network. They can't intercept you unless they know your password. But to get your password they have to intercept your network. Easy to do with public Wi-Fi a catch-22 with cellular internet.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: The good wimax can do in 2019.

TLDR version:

Wimax was abandoned by Sprint because it was inferior while in motion.

but instead of kicking out WiMAX we should let it do its job well which is offering cable like speeds to stationary places that are hard to wire for cable.   

Get internet two houses the cable companies originally refused to wire that agree to wire by WiMAX and now refuse to wire again because WiMAX was abandoned.

why Max is my best hope to get internet at home that's faster than 1.5 meg in 400k out.

Journeyman

Sorry accidentally pressed wrong button.  

Some people want to use Sprint as a stationary internet.  And it's more than just internet desperate people like myself.   Is it using a private cellular network a lot safer than using a public establishments public Wi-Fi?  Data thieves can easily get access with public Wi-Fi,. But reaching you on a cellular Wi-Fi is a catch-22 they try to get your information, but to break in they have know your information.

When your network is optimized for mobile internet you tend to criminalize stationary internet accusing it of data hogging.  If it saves just as much bandwidth to give data hogs WiMAX when they reach your hard limits as it does 2g, then why not give the faster while stationary WiMAX as opposed to 2G which is a politically correct term for dial up via mobile.

There's a Peralta device which Sprint recently put a clause against in their Sprint Drive agreements.  Instead of getting people who want stationary internet a badge of "violator" why not be honest say they're not using a car plug it into something USB to get it into wiwax mode, used way less data then if they were trying to dodge the fuzz and actually get what they want,g home internet that can be used with non phone devices?

Community Manager

OK, props for Star Trek 3 and Dragon's Liar references.  The young ones on here are like "whut"?

I would not necessarily call it an abandonment of WiMax, but more a strategic choice with long term benefits for all.  There are too many reasons to list here why we switched from WiMax, but one of the main reasons was phone manufacturers.  With LTE being the industry standard, our customers would have to pay more for devices that had an additional WiMax chip or OEMs could simply refuse to make Sprint versions altogether.  Which is something we saw recently with HTC who did not want to make a CDMA version of the HTC A10 I believe?  That is just one of many reasons to make the switch to LTE.

However, we were able to repurpose the 2.5Ghz highband spectrum from WiMax and use it for LTE.  Given our data-rich world, we currently live in, a high band spectrum is a necessity for carriers.  That's why you see carriers who cannot wait for the next auction for high band spectrum.  Without it, they will soon, if not already, experience capacity problems.

Now, to address your situation and challenges you mentioned, this is where our merger with T-Mobile is key.  Please forgive me for sounding like a commercial for a second, but post-merger we plan to bring competition to broadband and have 9.5 million households by 2024 using our in-home broadband service and expanding our rural wireless service to provide outdoor wireless coverage to reach 59.4 million rural residents.  We have not forgotten about the cable companies.  The New T-Mobile plans to b the fourth largest internet service provider by 2021, creating real competition for monopolistic cable companies.

I know this does not help you now, but I do want you to know there is a plan for our rural customers.  WiMax is not dead, but it lives in that rich 2.5Ghz spectrum.

Journeyman

Sorry this Android interface is weird for typing long text by dictating it always scrolls to the top and you're constantly searching that explains the accent on post.   I meant what I said above but didn't finish...

An internet green zone has at least two carriers that have broadband internet for the purposes of federal funding which is defined as 25 meg in, 3 meg out, 150 milliseconds ping or less and at least a terabit cap or higher.

A red zone has zero such carriers.   But my red zone is even worse, When a DSL service was new in 2013 that Service couldn't be defined as broadband according to 2010 definitions even then, that was my best possible choice therefore leaving the number broadband carriers according to the lower 2010 definition to be exactly 0.  

is it true that Sprint has to offer the exact same deals to everyone across the Nation?  me and you can't offer good home internet to the places that actually need it yet deny it to the places where they probably wouldn't be taken much anyway.

Is there a way I can get home internet with a speed of at least three megabits in one megabit out, under 150 ms, data cap from anywhere from 1 Tb to unlimited. And is device neutral? 

This would be a small good stopgap measure until 5G becomes available.  If your middle managers are right that Sprint really does want to give RedZone customers some decent home internet, And publicly your nibbling around the edges with unlimited phone based internet  unlimited device-agnostic internet as long as your emotion in a car.  when I try to sign up for Sprint Drive you close the Peralta device loophole making it a violation use it.   Which means I could either be a violator,. or I can run the car all day but there's two problems with that.  One is burning gasoline fuel for no reason other than to keep the internet on,. The other is killing cats and people in the house because of that same car running all day thanks to carbon monoxide.

Are so many people using the paralta device that weren't intended to use it,. That you had to close a loophole for everybody?

if a government requires you to treat internet reds owners the same as Internet Greens owners then why is the government saying they're trying to help people with bridging the digital divide but people who actually do it are forced to give it to all when it hurts some more than it helps them? 

Why is it legal for spectrum to the deny internet because I live in an area that's not profitable to wire, yet it illegal for Sprint to offer home based intermet to internet red zones but deny it in internet green zones, for the exact same reasons?  Is the reason why thete's no sprint red zone exemptions is because it's unprofitable, or, as i suspect, illegal?

If what I suspect is true and it's illegal for Sprint to have special red zone deals,. Would requiring WiMAX like technology, which should be more efficient per megabit per second in terms of resources and capacity, when they are standing still actually save bandwidth?  

I would use a Peralta device but it's against Sprint's terms of service of the Sprint drive.  If it's legal for Sprint to offer internet red zone exemptions like using a Sprint Drive in a stationary manner then please put it in writing so I don't have to choose between being bandwidth-crippled or being a terms of service criminal.  And if you truly want to help us, why is every possible loophole closed?  If it's because the government won't let you openly do so then I should call my federal representatives and state representatives and tell him of this weird bureaucratic dance that's preventing me from getting internet and preventing you from getting an Internet customer.  If I could use a Peralta device I'd spend 25 months for a Sprint Drive.  

yes I would like to correct it more but this Android text edit system is very wonky everytime I try to pick a specific point it places a point and then goes back to the beginning so I have to re scroll rehit and my points are not usually that accurate so I usually have to hit it again which is getting annoying.  Please try to read delete between the lines, and if it doesn't make sense try to find a sound alike phrase that does.

Journeyman

Thank you for sharing this. It is of good decency to emphasize on new technologies and protocols  whether they are up and coming, beta, current or going obsolete. Helps all to the community understand its importance.

Seasoned technical enthusiast who enjoys finding solutions to problems. I will always try to use professional etiquette when posting to all and my replies will be impartial. My best efforts are always a top priority however my provided content is of my own personal knowledge. Sprint Communications,affiliates,sponsors,sites,etc are not liable for the content or data i present within the community.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat