Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take Back the Beep - howto

Highlighted
Journeyman

Take Back the Beep - howto

Hi!

Jack here, the Voicemail guy at Sprint.  I work to set up the voicemail systems for your cellphones.  Why did we set up the voicemail prompts to be so long?  Well, we have to assume everyone is a beginner, though, so we give them as much instruction as possible on how to use voicemail.  For our advanced users we have some shortcuts:

How to Streamline your Sprint Voicemail Experience:

To skip your Passcode**,
Dial into your voicemail, press 3 for personal options, select 1 for settings, then select 1 to skip passcode**.

To Turn off Numeric Paging option at the end of your outgoing out going message:
Dial into your voicemail account, select 3 for personal options, select 1 for settings, then select 6 to skip the Numeric Paging option.

To turn on Expert Mode – this  helps you navigate more rapidly through the voicemail system by shortening the voice prompts you hear at each level.
Dial into your voicemail account, select 3 for personal options, then select 3 to turn on expert mode

To turn off message date and time
Dial into your voicemail account, select 3 for personal options, select 1 for settings, and then 3 to turn off message date and time.

To turn off caller instructions aka "TAKE BACK THE BEEP"

Dial into your voicemail accout, select 3 for personal options, select 2 for greetings, select 1 for main greeting, select 3 for add or remove caller instructions, then press 2 for do not play instructions.  (thanks StarmanDX)

**  If you choose to disable your passcode, your voicemail account will be vulnerable to unauthorized access.  Sprint strongly recommends that you use a passcode.  This is the best way to protect your account from unauthorized access.

Please note – these options only apply to Sprint CDMA voicemail systems, not iDEN or Visual Voicemail.

I want to thank Will for setting up this forum this afternoon - I'll be monitoring your comments out here going foward!

Thanks,

Jack

39 REPLIES
Master

Re: Take Back the Beep - howto

Journeyman

You can disable the mandatory instructions. Hold down 1 for your voicemail, (then press * if you have messages to go back out to the main menu).     From there:

3 - personal options

2 - greeting

1 - main greeing

3 - add or remove caller instructions

2 - do not play instructions

Journeyman

While the expert stuff is nice, it doesn't do much address the larger issue.  Why in the world does anyone leaving a message need to hear any instructions in this day and age?  The beep, the whole beep, and nothing but the beep.

Journeyman

Jedodes - while you and I and pretty much everyone else using these Internet forums have full grasp on what to do with Voicemail and menuing systems, you'd be suprised at how many folks aren't this tech savvy.  While I haven't done any studies or anything, I'd bet if we turned off all the prompts, we'd get lots calls from people wondering how to leave a message or use their voicemail.

We sure do appreciate these comments though - and I'm reading all of them.  I can't talk about what we'll do in the future with the information from this forum, but it's great to hear the customers voice directly.

Thanks!

Jack

Journeyman

@voicemailguy

A standard beep is something that's been happening since answering machines were invented.  I really don't see people getting very confused about something they've been doing since the early 70's.  Granted, some may not know about the "advanced options", but anyone who knows little about technology is likely to just hang up after they leave a message (in my opinion).

Journeyman

what's so difficult to understand for people about "Hi, you've reached XY. Leave a message"?

surely anyone who is calling a cell phone knows how to leave a message: there's a beep, you start talking.  usually the owner has told you what to do, so why must the company do the same at endless length?

the length and complexity of the obligatory instructions - and the fact that there's no way to turn it off - makes it pretty clear this is simply a money-making scheme on the part of the cellphone companies.  another reason to choose an iphone.

Journeyman

You can turn it off. Read my post on this very page.

Journeyman

StarmanDX wrote:

You can turn it off. Read my post on this very page.

Too many of them aren't even going to post here again.  They are on a mission from Pogue to rid the cellular telecommunication industry from this huge rip off which according to him could net VZW over 600million a year (I'm not buying it).

Most of the posters are just making up random FIGHT THE POWER posts and have no clue that the option even exists to turn it off, or that Pogue updated his blog post to say that Sprint even allows you to turn it off, they just make their post, smile and think they just saved the world.

Journeyman

Montana, I for one appreciate the heads-up from Starman, whose initial comment about this I had missed.  I just made the change, and am grateful!  Also, for what little it's worth, a lot of people (incl. me) get Pogue's Posts via email, so if he updated his actual post re Sprint, I didn't get that.

It would still be awfully nice if the default were NOT to have these messages, but I'm happy to at least save people who call my cell some time here.  Thanks again!