cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Yeah, I am trying to get my wife off QChat and onto iDEN. The Sanyo Pro 200 was working fine for PTT untill the recent update, now she is cut off sometimes in mid sentance and the line is dead for 60 seconds until we both don't touch a button. I've done the data and DC profile updates as well. Now she is finding it easier to just call me and that is not the way I wanted this to work out.

N9NRA - I'm working on remote VMware deployment this week but have Friday off so I'll be around Friday for sure.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


@theproto wrote:

Yeah, I am trying to get my wife off QChat and onto iDEN. The Sanyo Pro 200 was working fine for PTT untill the recent update, now she is cut off sometimes in mid sentance and the line is dead for 60 seconds until we both don't touch a button. I've done the data and DC profile updates as well. Now she is finding it easier to just call me and that is not the way I wanted this to work out.

N9NRA - I'm working on remote VMware deployment this week but have Friday off so I'll be around Friday for sure.


I hear ya there, sounds like a fun job. Anyway, as to the experiment i mentioned, wouldn`t it be TOTALLY FUN to see just how VZW and S/N "hash" against each other, just for kicks? I really would LOVE to try that here in this state, where we have everything from a prarie (yes we have one up near my folks` place up north, they hold dog trials there), to really thick woods that ya need a GPS to find your way through. So ya see, this would be a blast to see just how these two providers` PTT offerings "hash out" here in the real world, rather than on some doctored TV ads. N9NRA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


@N9NRA wrote:
... would be a blast to see just how these two providers` PTT offerings "hash out" here in the real world, rather than on some doctored TV ads.

I hope you do it, and report back as to how it went. We'd all love to know.

- Nxtl4me

Highlighted

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

I know I saw a similar test documented on YouTube. Some guy got six phones together (2 iDEN-only, 2 Q-chat only, and 2 Verizon PTT) at a local Best Buy store (with the BB rep's permission apparently). He tested to see how fast everyone's PTT really was.

The standard was based on iDEN PTT speeds. Granted, for iDEN, having the phones next to each other generally is harder than if the phones are on opposite coasts (at least for initial set up). Yet, the set up time was about 1 second, and the convo was instant after that.

Q-chat phones were then used, and they were somewhat slower on initial set up (took about 2 seconds). But once the set up was done, they seemed equally as fast.

Then came the Verizon PTT phones. They performed nearly identically to the Q-chat phones! It was a tad bit scary actually, given how much hype Sprint was giving Q-chat at the time.

Anyhow, I can't find that YouTube video, but if/when I do, I'll post it. However, the talk of using a few phones out in the wild instead of inside a store...that would be far more interesting, if you ask me...I'd love to see the documentation/video for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


@quasijedi wrote:

OK...so now Verizon is once again launching a new PTT commercial. Just saw it a few minutes ago actually. Verizon's claims? Largest PTT calling area in the US. And they're right.

Why oh why does Sprint allow Dan Hesse to ruin the very last bit of what he referred to as a "nuke" that this company has?!?

Mr. Hesse: If I had any power or influence with this company, you would be so...as Donald Trump would say...F-I-R-E-D!!!!!

How inept can one man, let alone one management team, really be?!?


This claim would have been true even if Sprint and Nextel never merged. Nextel would never have been able to build out a network larger than the one Verizon now has (due to the Alltel merger).

What Verizon doesn't tell everyone is that this "larger" PTT network is much slower than Nextel DC. In areas where there's no REVA coverage, connection speeds are horrendous! In other words, they may have a larger area where you cancommunicate via pushing a button, but the reason behind doing so is completely lost in areas where REVA is absent.

Plus, Verizon PTT isn't true dispatch radio communications. It is merely an emulation. BREWChat is a bandwidth and channel hog, and dropped calls in congested workplaces are inevitable with an inefficient system such as this. While the same argument can be made about QChat, remember that Sprint customers aren't tied to just one system. If a business needs to issue certain phones to their employees who travel (and need roaming capabilities), they can issue them a Qchat phone while issuing everyone else a regular Nextel inside the plant. This is especially true for world travelers. Name one Verizon PTT phone with GSM capabilities- there are none.

Choice is way better than a larger PTT area that is inefficient and pointless.

Highlighted

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Actually, it's not so much that the Verizon claim is true so much as there is NOTHING that Sprint is putting out there to counter it. When Verizon first tried to touch PTT, Nextel launched a nationwide campaign that directly showed that Verizon's PTT was seriously inferior. That's why none of the other PTT services took off: Nextel had them beat...and advertised it.


I agree that Verizon would have had a larger PTT coverage area...no debate there. However, at least if there was no merger, Nextel would have countered it by now. Sprint, however, is content to sit on its arse and wonder why it continues to lose subs, and prays that the Pre will somehow save this company. Ugh...just advertise your strengths already...and yes, PTT is one of them!

That's what has me so frustrated. The sheer lack of PTT commercials outside of a NASCAR televised event.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


@quasijedi wrote:

Actually, it's not so much that the Verizon claim is true so much as there is NOTHING that Sprint is putting out there to counter it. When Verizon first tried to touch PTT, Nextel launched a nationwide campaign that directly showed that Verizon's PTT was seriously inferior. That's why none of the other PTT services took off: Nextel had them beat...and advertised it.


I agree that Verizon would have had a larger PTT coverage area...no debate there. However, at least if there was no merger, Nextel would have countered it by now. Sprint, however, is content to sit on its arse and wonder why it continues to lose subs, and prays that the Pre will somehow save this company. Ugh...just advertise your strengths already...and yes, PTT is one of them!

That's what has me so frustrated. The sheer lack of PTT commercials outside of a NASCAR televised event.


Gotta agree with ya Dejan, i just wish i could try that experiment when i go to the Janesville area this June for the school reunion, it would be a total blast to see how this`d hash out, just to see if VZW is really the "most reliable network" as they so loudly claim in their ads. And, i also wish that S/N would PLEASE STOP NAMBY-PAMBY`ing aorund with these TOTALLY BORING ads they have now!! i think i`ve seen quite enough of this for the most part weak, totally non-diss-the-competition type of advertising!! Come on here!! Get with the program and start doing some REAL advertising!!! You have the best PTT out there! Now stand up and show it!! N9NRA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


quasijedi wrote:

Simply put, it all boils down to where one is on the Verizon network which determines PTT speeds. If one is in a EVDO rev A location, then Verizon's PTT really is sub-second, just like NDC. However, if a Verizon user is in the EVDO rev 0 region, then it's 1-3 seconds; and if one is in merely a 1xrtt zone, then it's more like 3 to 10 seconds. Contrast that to NDC on Sprint (aka Q-chat) where it is always sub-second so long as it is getting a EVDO rev A signal. No EVDO rev A? No NDC.

So, while NDC on Sprint is more consistent in its operation, the limitation of requiring EVDO rev A can be mildly problematic. BTW, why would a Verizon employee have a Sprint phone?!? Let alone 2 phones?!? Seems stupid if you ask me. It's like working for GM or Chrysler, and owning a Honda.

and theproto wrote:

I will admit though, the Verizon poster/alleged employee did sound like an idiot almost bragging about his 4 active devices (unless I misread).

And I would agree that he is likely talking about the fact that Verizon has enabled DC on any EVDO rev 0, rev A and 1XRTT as opposed to Sprint having a fraction of DC coverage on CDMAto ensure that all users have the fast DC experience by limiting it torevAbut lacks the knowledge to know that is what is happening (by the sounds of it).


QJ and theproto: Closing the loop onthe open questions that arose early in this thread:

Following up on your questions and comments as to why the VZW employee would carry Nextel alongside his/her company-provided VZW phone, and the wondering of whether or not the VZW PTT connect delays were due to being off of Rev A areas, I went onto Phonearena's forum and posed those very questions.Pasted belowis that person's reply (fromlink to original reply at Phonearena.com ). Ifixed the inconsistentnumbering, and I also cleaned upthe language a wee bit(because that person mistook me for a VZW fanboy and did a bit of bashing), but go to the link Igave hereand you can read the unvarnished reply on Phonearena yourselves. Pasted immediately below (blue italics) is the slightly edited response to your original questions.

1) I carry Sprint Nextel because I have had a family plan with them for quite some time including some perks like free data and text messaging. VZW, even with my discount, would be more expensive after you add all the features.

2) Now on to why I carry a Nextel phone. 95% of PTT people I know carry Nextel, including friends and family members, and as you know, Nextel PTT is not compatible with VZW PTT.

3) I know VZW PTT runs on Rev-A and I know when I'm in a Rev-A area. And no, it doesnt really matter if I'm in a Rev-A area or not, PTT latency with VZW is still 1-5 sec. I travel all over the country, that's it, no question about it.

4) I bet its eating you up alive inside, knowing Im a VZW employee and stating the truth about how Sprint Nextel PTT is better. VZW is great, but Sprint Nextel is also.

-

I make no further comment on the legitimacy of the VZW employee's postings on Phonearena.com, this is merely closing the loop to effectivelylet that personrespond him/her self to your questions/comments on his/her motives. This is not i ntended to open up the discussion again, just closing the loop and it is what it is.

- Nxtl4me

Highlighted

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Nxtl4me: Thanks for that update...much appreciated actually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT


@Nxtl4me wrote:

quasijedi wrote:

Simply put, it all boils down to where one is on the Verizon network which determines PTT speeds. If one is in a EVDO rev A location, then Verizon's PTT really is sub-second, just like NDC. However, if a Verizon user is in the EVDO rev 0 region, then it's 1-3 seconds; and if one is in merely a 1xrtt zone, then it's more like 3 to 10 seconds. Contrast that to NDC on Sprint (aka Q-chat) where it is always sub-second so long as it is getting a EVDO rev A signal. No EVDO rev A? No NDC.

So, while NDC on Sprint is more consistent in its operation, the limitation of requiring EVDO rev A can be mildly problematic. BTW, why would a Verizon employee have a Sprint phone?!? Let alone 2 phones?!? Seems stupid if you ask me. It's like working for GM or Chrysler, and owning a Honda.

and theproto wrote:

I will admit though, the Verizon poster/alleged employee did sound like an idiot almost bragging about his 4 active devices (unless I misread).

And I would agree that he is likely talking about the fact that Verizon has enabled DC on any EVDO rev 0, rev A and 1XRTT as opposed to Sprint having a fraction of DC coverage on CDMAto ensure that all users have the fast DC experience by limiting it torevAbut lacks the knowledge to know that is what is happening (by the sounds of it).


QJ and theproto: Closing the loop onthe open questions that arose early in this thread:

Following up on your questions and comments as to why the VZW employee would carry Nextel alongside his/her company-provided VZW phone, and the wondering of whether or not the VZW PTT connect delays were due to being off of Rev A areas, I went onto Phonearena's forum and posed those very questions.Pasted belowis that person's reply (fromlink to original reply at Phonearena.com ). Ifixed the inconsistentnumbering, and I also cleaned upthe language a wee bit(because that person mistook me for a VZW fanboy and did a bit of bashing), but go to the link Igave hereand you can read the unvarnished reply on Phonearena yourselves. Pasted immediately below (blue italics) is the slightly edited response to your original questions.

1) I carry Sprint Nextel because I have had a family plan with them for quite some time including some perks like free data and text messaging. VZW, even with my discount, would be more expensive after you add all the features.

2) Now on to why I carry a Nextel phone. 95% of PTT people I know carry Nextel, including friends and family members, and as you know, Nextel PTT is not compatible with VZW PTT.

3) I know VZW PTT runs on Rev-A and I know when I'm in a Rev-A area. And no, it doesnt really matter if I'm in a Rev-A area or not, PTT latency with VZW is still 1-5 sec. I travel all over the country, that's it, no question about it.

4) I bet its eating you up alive inside, knowing Im a VZW employee and stating the truth about how Sprint Nextel PTT is better. VZW is great, but Sprint Nextel is also.

-

I make no further comment on the legitimacy of the VZW employee's postings on Phonearena.com, this is merely closing the loop to effectivelylet that personrespond him/her self to your questions/comments on his/her motives. This is not i ntended to open up the discussion again, just closing the loop and it is what it is.

- Nxtl4me


The bottom line here is that everyone and their uncle knows that Nextel Direct Connect is a superior product, regardless of what opinion they may have regarding "the network."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Verizon has the largest ptt network, Sprint has ugly bricks that work well and one hot surefire connect in the Stature then you get the sometimey ugly flips with the hit and miss battery hog Renegade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Qchat -vs- VZW PTT

Verizon has the largest ptt network, Sprint has ugly bricks that work well and one hot surefire connect in the Stature then you get the sometimey ugly flips with the hit and miss battery hog Renegade

____________________________________________________________________________

You really don't want to compare the 3 PTT phone models VZW offers to the "bricks" Nextel offers do you? Verizon offers the "Boulder", which is probably the ugliest, and most unreliable, flip phone ever conceived. And offering it in orange doesn't help. The Adventure 750 is just the Renegade without the toughness. Same battery drain, same hit or miss PTT, and exact same screen size. Last but not least is Verizons own CDM8975.....It is probably their "show case" PTT phone, and yet they have sold less than 60,000 of those bad boys.

Fact is, if Verizon really wants to get PTT over, they need to offer more than the "largest PTT coverage", they are gonna have to offer more phones.

Of course I say that, and At&t has proved having a superior selection of PTT phones doesn't make a bit of difference if the PTT experience sucks.

Von


Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.