cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to hang up on second line during call?

Journeyman

Unable to hang up on second line during call?

This has been a problem ever since I've switched over to sprint. Whenever I receive a call and answer it while I'm already in a call with another person and try to hang up afterwards, it ends both calls. The only thing i can do is tell the other person to hang up because I need to stay on the other line. It's been the same problem on all the samsung galaxy phones from sprint that I've owned (SII, Note II, and Note III), so I'm not sure if sprint's other phones have that problem as well. My old galaxy SI phone I had with T-mobile had the option to end either calls and my friends that have the newer galaxy and note phones have have the same option on their networks as well. Is sprint ever going to do something to fix this?

15 REPLIES 15
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Unable to hang up on second line during call?

This is expected behavior and by design. When you have a caller on hold, or if you're in a 3-way call, and hit the "End Call" (red) button then all calls end.

If you're on a call and another call comes in and you accept it, caller-1 is placed on hold, and you will be talking with caller-2. If you wish to switch back to caller-1 you must touch the "Swap" button on your screen. Hitting "Swap" will switch you back to caller-1. When you Swap calls, caller-2 can stay connected, on hold (if they choose). If they do not hang up on their end then you can always "Swap" back and forth between callers. Or you can use the "Merge" button to merge both callers into a 3-way call. If either caller hangs up you will no longer see the "Swap" or "Merge" buttons.

There is not a way to force-drop a call with one caller and auto-switch to the other caller. Touching the "End Call" button ends all connected callers, as you have experienced. If you place caller-1 on hold and accept a call with caller-2, and then wish to end the conversation with caller-2 and switch back to caller-1 then use the Swap button. Caller-2 can sit on hold as long as they choose, but when you end the call with caller-1 by hitting the End Call button, all calls drop. Caller-2 just wasted their own time and minutes sitting on hold with you.

We have online user manuals, which I find handy for doing key-word searches on device features. Here is the user manual for the Note 3.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 User Guide

Thanks for being a Sprint customer.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

There is not a way to force-drop a call with one caller and auto-switch to the other caller. Touching the "End Call" button ends all connected callers, as you have experienced. If you place caller-1 on hold and accept a call with caller-2, and then wish to end the conversation with caller-2 and switch back to caller-1 then use the Swap button. Caller-2 can sit on hold as long as they choose, but when you end the call with caller-1 by hitting the End Call button, all calls drop. Caller-2 just wasted their own time and minutes sitting on hold with you.

It's this part that I don't understand. Also "This is expected behavior and by design" just does not sound practical at all. I'm forced to either end both calls and call one of the people back or remember to tell caller number 2 to hang up every time.  All other carriers have a system on their phone where you can hang up on either callers when you hit the End Call button yet sprint's phones does not have this. I'm not sure if htc, iphone, lg, or any of the other phone brands that you carry have this problem because I've only used samsung's phones since I've switced to sprint, but is it samsung's fault that the sprint version of their phone does not include an option to end the call on a single caller or is it something on sprint's side?

Journeyman

I agree that this should be an available feature - there should be the option to end one of the active calls as well as the ability to SWAP between outgoing calls like there is when there's 1 outgoing and 1 incoming or 2 incoming calls!  No SWAP button appears when there are 2 outgoing calls.

I can't follow the logic of how these phone have been programmed... seems like an obvious feature.

Journeyman

This seems like a really dumb way to program the phone. But I guess it makes sense for Sprint since some people don't have unlimited talk. If you have people paying for double minutes, why give them the option to stop. It's much better to force them to keep paying double than to give them an option that conforms to any sort of logic.

Journeyman

No it's Sprint. I have the iPhone 5c and I was frustrated called Sprint was on the phone with a tech and he had no idea what to do. So I reached out to Apple was on the phone with the Tech for two hours trying to figure this out and he did everything to try to fix this. I even had the Supervisor trying to help and it came to the conclusion that it's Sprint. They have something called CDMA which does not gives the option to merge or drop calls. I had Tmobile my contract was up and switched to Sprint because at the time the iPhone 5c was $0 down if I knew this at the time I would have just stayed with Tmobile. Sprint is going to lose a lot of customers due to the issue. I know after two months when my contract is up, I will be leaving only because of this. I think it's stupid that we pay our money and can't have the features that we need. It's basically a fancy landline, as if your on your home phone another call comes in your only able to swap calls. If you merge the call you don't have the option to drop the call just the entire call which is annoying.

Journeyman

You guys need to fix the problem or you will be losing customers due to this small matter.

Master

jorsie86,

I understand that this could be irritating for you. Unfortunately, it is a feature on the phone that would not allow you to hang up just 1 of the lines at a time.

- Regina
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

On other carriers you are able to end just one call on their note 3. This is a basic function that should be on sprint, but sprint is terrible.

Journeyman

This is very frustrating. To say it's a "design" issue is beyond me. I just switched from AT&T literally two weeks ago and I'm regretting it. There was no issue with three way calling of hanging up one line and keeping the other. Even if one caller ends the call, it hangs up the entire phone call. This bites

Journeyman

Can this be brought up to the higher ups. I switched over a week ago and this is literally phone basics. Why pay hundreds of dollars for a device and even more for service to them be limited by sprints whims. Not to mention you can't even use the Internet while on the phone. This is phone basics 101.

Journeyman

I'd simply like at add a +1 to this request. We have been with AT&T and with T Mobile and both carriers offered this 'end call' option that others are suggesting you consider.  Would you please pass onto the "higher ups" why this is important? Because here is what often happens:

I call someone, it goes to voicemail, as I'm leaving a voicemail, they call me, seeing they missed my call. With other carriers, I simply "end current call, accept incoming call" and speak with them. With Spring, I'm forced to either hang up on both right away or put VM call on hold, using up their vm space and then talk to them.

this really should be a simple software fix from Sprint.

BTW, I've been very happy with Sprint overall - excellent company and service so far

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.