cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to block unknown callers

Journeyman

Want to block unknown callers

My wife and I both have phones with Sprint.  Lately, she has been receiving calls from an unknown/blocked number about twice a day.  When she answered once, they asked "Is this (her name)?"  She was worried it could have been that one scam where they try to record you saying the word "yes" so they can use your voice to authorize charges for all sorts of random purchases.  So, she hung up.  Problem averted for the time being, but she keeps getting these calls and it's annoying that she has to keep rejecting the calls -- and without any number to identify the caller, it's impossible to report it to the Do Not Call registry or any other agency for that matter.

In any event, my wife now wants to block calls from unknown numbers.  But it appears Sprint will only let you block calls if you know the full 10-digit number.  There is no way to block "unknown" or "restricted" numbers, yet it appears people on these very boards have been asking Sprint for this functionality since at least 2013.  If that's not annoying enough, some of those posters from 2013 mentioned that all the other major carriers do allow you to block calls from unknown numbers.

If other major carriers have been allowing people to block unknown numbers for at least the past four years now, why hasn't Sprint caught up yet? 

That's almost like if everyone else had the iPhone 7 and Sprint was still offering nothing newer than the iPhone 4 with absolutely no reason other than "just because."  Come on, Sprint!  Amateur Hour was over a long time ago... get in line with the rest of the industry on this one already.

6 REPLIES 6
Sprint Social Care

Re: Want to block unknown callers

Hello PNAW10-CNY.

Thanks for the feedback. We understand where you are coming from. That capability is on the roadmap for Sprint, but we do not have a time frame on when it will be available.

Here are a couple different ways you can block unknown callers on an IPhone:

Solution 1 :-

1. launch Settings App.
  2. Turn “do not disturb” on Manual.
  3. Only allow calls from your contacts list.
  4. Also do not allow repeated calls with in 3 minutes to get though.

Solution 2:-

1. On your iPhone navigate to recent calls. Then get that call info. Use the copy feature on “Unknown Caller”. 
  2. Now go to contacts. Click the + sign to add a new contact.  Use the faster feature and fill the fields like first name, last name, company and phone number. Press done.
  3. Now you have option to block the caller.

Solution 3 :-

Go to the unknown call in your recent calls. Click the "i" icon and hold down where it says "Unknown Caller" until the "copy" option comes up. Copy the name. Then create a contact. Paste into the "Name" field, as well as where you place the number. Then if you go into your settings and go to Phone, go to your blocked numbers, touch edit, scroll down, and Add New. Then search for the Unknown Caller in your contacts and add them to your block list.

If this does not work, you can always download an App that will block Unknown callers.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

i just looked at Verizons site and the only option they have to block unknown calls is to restrict all incoming calls to what is on your contacts list...which can be done with many apps out there...one thing to keep in mind on this site is there will always be people chiming in about how other carrier do things but they never do actually jump over there to see if in fact they do or dont..i would say about 90% of the time the other carriers do NOT do what they are saying they do...
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

forgot to add the method mentioned over at V is through a different company and costs $4.99 per month.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It's unfortunate that, after all these years, this is only "on the roadmap" and there's no timetable.  Seems like something which should be extremely easy to implement in 2017.  Repetitive "no caller ID" calls are annoying and should be illegal... but you can't even report them to the Do Not Call registry since there's no number to report.

Solution 1 is useless because it only allows you to receive calls from within your Contact List.  Sometimes you DO want to accept calls from a number you don't already have on the list.

Solutions 2 and 3 could be worth a try, although I've seen these suggested elsewhere and apparently they don't always work.

There should be a easy, definitive way to shut-out all calls where the ID says "unknown" or "no caller ID" or "restricted."  It shouldn't require a third-party app, nor should it involve complicated workarounds that won't always work.  If I want to block callers who aren't willing to share their number, I should be able to do that at the carrier level, so I don't have to deal with my phone ringing and having to manually ignore the call.

Long story short: enough with the excuses and canned responses, Sprint.  Time to take some real action on this issue.  It's long overdue.

GrandMaster

if there isnt a number to report how exactly is a carrier supposed to block it? mind naming which carrier can pull this off?
GrandMaster

i did find a way through Verizon..but again this is an add on ability that will cost you $5 per month.
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.