cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another No-Show for Sprint and Windows Phone 8

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another No-Show for Sprint and Windows Phone 8

Surprise, surprise.  I don't know about eveyone else but I am truly getting bummed about the lack of Sprint's name being mentioned on carrier support for all the Windows Phone 8 devices coming out.  The new HTC Windows Phone 8X was just announced with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon launching the phone.  What an upset, get with it Sprint!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3345684/windows-phone-8x-by-htc-specs-release-date-features

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Journeyman

Mavka, how did Verizon carrying the Kin phones cost Sprint millions of dollars? Anyway, Verizon may have got burned yet their leaked roadmap leaks suggest Verizon will be carrying the WP8 flagship phones from Nokia, HTC, and Samsung. Sounds like they don't hold as much a grudge as Sprint based on your logic. It the business world loyalty and hate don't serve the customer and is often met with customer disdain.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint was pursuing Kin when it died an early and unceremonious death. Kin didn't live long enough for Sprint to bring it to market. Sprint is the third largest carrier in the US, so it stands to reason their sales of any device will be a fraction of the #1 and #2 players. No news there. Having the same devices at a lower cost is paying off for Sprint in subscriber and revenue growth. Over the past few years, Sprint's stock has doubled, and then doubled again. Whatever they're doing, it's working very well. There is no present competitive advantage in offering a device that has less than 4% market share. More importantly, there is no immediate profit. When it comes to Microsoft and their terrible track record in mobile devices, waiting for others develop the market and then stepping in when there's money to be made is just smart leadership.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, we all get you don't want WP8.  Clearly many of us do.  The Kin was a horrible product that Sprint recognized as such and never brought it to market.

Yes, they're the #3 carrier, their sales wouldn't be a fraction, rather a percentage, as in "Sprint does 80% the business of Verizon", but its still a huge chunk of money.  I'd also like to point out that joining in after the fact, isn't smart leadership, its following the market...after others have Lead.  Leading, by definition, means being the first, or blazing the trail, with WP8, Sprint is doing neither, your point of smart leadership, you're really saying they'll let the other carries take the lead, and then chase the market afterwards. 

You can argue (quite successfully, I think) that WP8 doesn't yet bring anything compelling to the table that iOS or Android don't already offer, however, I'd argue that there is a segment of smartphone users who:

a) don't want to be a part of Apples closed & restrictive system, and 1 hardware choice fits all mentality

and/or b) are tired of Android with its 'lottery style - ie 1 in a million chance' OS upgrades, and cludgy & confusing millions of settings that need to be dialed in to make everything play together well.

I'm tired of Android, old RIM stunk, and I'm not joining in on the iPhone party...been there done that, no thank you.

So, that leaves us with 2 viable alternatives...RIM & WP8.  BB10 is a ghost until its released, and WP8 has come to the table with some very compelling phones finally.

Hopefully Sprint will come around and view folks like me as an important segment to offer an alternative to...because while I may not take my 4 lines to another carrier, I will look at the WP8 with interest and will consider moving my 1 line to Straight Talk with a Nokia 920.

Highlighted
Wizard

Don't assume I'm bagging on WP8. I want one of those devices in the worst way. I also want a new LTE device. I do not, however, want to pay the price of an early adopter, getting soaked for all the bugs and problems that come from a first version product. Sprint will support an LTE WP8 device about the time I'm guessing all that stuff will have stabilized. Nobody knows how many Sprint customers are going to leave just to be the first to own a WP8 device, but based on recent sales it's not going to be many, far fewer than Sprint is gaining from Android and iPhone. I've been a Sprint customer since 2000, and they've always treated me exceptionally well. I'm happy to wait until they're ready to back WP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Sprint was pursuing Kin when it died an early and unceremonious death. Kin didn't live long enough for Sprint to bring it to market. Sprint is the third largest carrier in the US, so it stands to reason their sales of any device will be a fraction of the #1 and #2 players. No news there. Having the same devices at a lower cost is paying off for Sprint in subscriber and revenue growth. Over the past few years, Sprint's stock has doubled, and then doubled again. Whatever they're doing, it's working very well. There is no present competitive advantage in offering a device that has less than 4% market share. More importantly, there is no immediate profit. When it comes to Microsoft and their terrible track record in mobile devices, waiting for others develop the market and then stepping in when there's money to be made is just smart leadership."

Again, what Sprint is doing is working better than what they did prior to having the iPhone. But simply doubling down on iPhone and Android is not enough. Every carrier has those devices. They also have better networks than Sprint. If you think "unlimited data" is such a huge differentiator and selling hook, then I suggest you read the angry comments from their own customers on pretty much any Sprint Facebook post mentioning it. Or the tech reviews for any recent LTE device on Sprint that mentions how atrocious their 3G network is.

If you're to get onboard with a new operating system, the time to do it is at the beginning, instead of catching up after it hits critical mass. AT&T is still repaing the benefits of being the exclusive iPhone carrier for so long. Verizon is reaping the benefits of creating the signature DROID brand and shooting Android to huge adoption rates in the US. All Sprint is doing is following, and that will only help them tread water or achieve extremely modest growth in even the best case scenario. At some point, you have to lead on SOMETHING. If there's no competitive advantage in offering a Windows Phone 8 device, then why does every other US carrier have hard committments to carry them? If they're so unprofitable, why is T-Mobile committing to them when they scarecely have money to waste? Why are Verizon and AT&T both carrying at least THREE devices instead of half-heartedly getting one and seeing what happens? Why is HTC committing to the platform with their first truly unique hardware designs in some time?

Highlighted
Journeyman

review this link http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/479092 and let dan@sprint.com know you want WP8 phone

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat