cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG] Diamond & Touch Pro, ring delay

Highlighted
Master

[BUG] Diamond & Touch Pro, ring delay

If you've had the Diamond or Touch Pro for a while, you may have noticed a delay when a phone call reaches your device. What you probably noticed was that the D-Pad LED will flash roughly three times before the actual ring tone begins to play. There are a couple ways this can be addressed, modifying the ringtones on the device and changing the dialer program installed on the phone. If your not aware of this issue, try it yourself or do a <a target="_blank" href="http://www.google.com/search?q=touchproring+delay&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8&amp;aq=t&amp;rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedfficial&amp;client=firefox-a">search.

From personal experience, I've noticed an average 5.7 second delay from when the D-Pad LED starts flashing till the ringtone starts playing. That's 5.7 seconds closer to missing an important call. I don't know about you, but I'd like to get those 5.7 seconds back and it's obvious things can be done. By changing the default dialer (registry hack) to the old WinMo dialer, this drops to an average of 3.3 seconds. Supposedly, changing all the MP3 ringtone, or the ones you use, to WAV files reduces this another 2 seconds. I haven't had a chance to verify this myself but there are plenty of threads talking about it in the search I point to above.

My question is, is there anything Sprint/HTC can do about this? Change the dialer to get rid of the roughly 2.4 second delay difference between the currently activated/installed Diamond dialer and the WinMo dialer? What about the issue with how long the phone takes to play the MP3 ringtone versus a WAV ringtone? Obviously, I can make the changes I mention above, but why should I have to? Not every user is capable or comfortable making changes to their phones. It would be nice to have this addressed by the Sprint/HTC.

Message Edited by smotrs on 02-05-2009 08:10 PM

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Master

Re: [BUG] Diamond & Touch Pro, ring delay

Nobody else has issues with the delay?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

YES! I have had the same issue and it is annoying. Even when I see that I am getting a call, it even delays to answer until the ringtone starts playing.

Highlighted
Patron

I have this very same issue as well. It is horribly annoying!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes I also have this problem. My Diamond only rings twice and then goes to voice mail and your post explains it. I've call the Sprint help desk about this problem and they were clueless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know that there are admins on these borads, but do they pass the information found here as well as places like PPCGeeks and XDA-developers back to HTC (UtStarcomm, which I found quite funny as that is how my TP was listed from the MFG, these guys change company names when their phones are defective enough).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Maybe the latest (April 3, 2009)ROM software upgrade will help?

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=148&cat=2&dl_id=530

Highlighted
Patron

I tried installing that ROM and it won't install on my HTC Touch Pro. I wrote HTC and they informed me that the ROM released is not for the HTC Touch Pro Sprint version and it will not install.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Heres the fix for the ring delayhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=409540Its an app called Diamond Tweak. It has the fix for the ring delay in it, plus MUCH more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This software is ONLY recommended for the Diamond NOT the TouchPro, very bad advice unless it applied to both devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had this app on my touch pro since last year and it works perfectly. Never had any problems with it.

Highlighted
Master

99% of the settings in Diamond Tweak work for the Touch Pro as well. The hardware is very close between the two device, only major differences are the microSD/Internal Storage and the physical keyboard. Otherwise though they both run the same versions of Windows Mobile and have the same TouchFlo3D interface (slightly different tab placement). However as with any program that changes registry settings, you should know what you are changing, it just adds a nice user interface to make those changes instead of going through each one yourself.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat