cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't believe Sprint support hasn't learned

Journeyman

Can't believe Sprint support hasn't learned

I recently ran into the same Sprint Ativ S Neo 8.1 Hard reset issue where I loose MMS and internet connectivity. It seems in the phone About setting, my Radio Software has blanked out. My Radio Hardware has also been blanked out after the reset. When I originally called in on a roaming issue I was told to RESET my device even though I had been open and honest that I had the Window 8.1 developer preview. Now that I am in a broken state and doing research I see this has been an issue for months. Being so, why in the world hasn't Sprint Support been told to stop telling people to hard reset devices knowing full well this is likely to happen.

I am not sure now if the Firmware broke the radio, or if the radio is not working because the network cannot be detected. I also asked a Technician in a Sprint store that Online Support sent me to what could be done to manually enter an Internet APN and MMS APN but they said they had NO idea how to do that. I found a few online but none have worked.

Has anyone else with the broken phone seen their radio wiped out like in the attached picture? And is any sprint agent able to tell me what a valid APN could be for Internet and MMS so that I can try these?

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: Can't believe Sprint support hasn't learned

Since you are utilizing a Developer Preview to update your phone you must realize that you have not successfully updated your network profile.  Have Cortana search for " Network Profile Update " and run that or from your keypad dial ##72786#.  I have the same model phone and after a hard reset it takes a bit to get your device working correctly again.  I would advise folks that are not sure of what they are doing to hold off on the update until Sprint makes it available.  Of course if we wait we could be in for a very long wait .........

Journeyman

Hi Sailz11, you are correct, I do realize the PRL update isn't working. Has your radio gotten a firmware update and software update after the reset? Or what does it show now?

My question was about the radio settings being blank, and if the firmware would allow the PRL to work, or if the PRL would allow the radio to work (chicken and egg type scenario). I have worked for a few days to get it working with sprint phone support and from support in a store. And we tried most of the tier 1 and tier two troubleshooting steps with sprint support including the network reset ##72786# operation. We manually programmed in some codes in the Data settings which finally allowed it to get data, finally got a hard working tier 2 dude that helped. MMS still isn't working, but its not as important as not having work email.

Since that seems to work with the radio still with no firmware, it appears that the radio isn't necessary for internet to work on the phone, but its not clear if at the hardware level is the radio firmware necessary for MMS to work. I'm trying to figure out if its related. Not sure if this is true but what the windows and sprint guys mentioned is that when the phone is reset the network information is attempted to be read from the SIM card. Most of the carriers will store connectivity information on the card, but sprint does not use the SIM to store connectivity stuff. So the preview must not have been tested with Sprint. Which makes sense hind sight, when you have the settings before applying the preview, they hold because they are essentially "upgraded" but then inadvertently locked down. This I believe is what lead people into troubleshooting the phone because at that stage the phone roughly says "Your carrier has not enabled roaming, contact support to enable the feature". Then like me, one curiously call support just to make sure, and then you do a little troubleshooting, and finally they say, why don't you run a quick reset, and BAM you are in a busted state.

So its not its not that people "don't know what we are doing" just because they simply accidentally ran into an issue. But it would be nice to report the bug to MSFT if true because these issues shouldn't happen in the first place. Microsoft should have in their test path a way to make sure that a Hard Reset has been tested. And its pretty clear that it wasn't....not surprising from the people I know in Seattle....none are sprint users.

But if anyone else has the issue right now, can you see if your radio is blanked out?

Journeyman

hey hammzone365,

The comment about people "don't know what we are doing" wasn't directed at you and should have been left out anyway.

My Radio software and hardware version look exactly like yours (and still do).

I had connectivity issues with MMS and data initially after the hard reset.  I ran network profile update several times and it finally recognized and re set my radio.  I have actually re-set the phone a couple times now and it always seems to take longer than it should for the system to recognize it again but MMS and data now work properly for me.

It would probably be helpful if Samsung took an interest in this as well but I'm not hopeful ...

Journeyman

A Sprint customer found a solution as well!

JustAnotherSprintUsr Jul 14, 2014 6:11 AM (in response to NoLaGirL13)

My MMS wasn't working either and I got that Error 225 not activated message.  Did the ##72786# reset and it didn't work..Then I got on the phone with Steve (2nd line of support) and Steve fixed it. When he looked at the account, there was nothing wrong.  Here's what he did:

turn off phone

Steve blocked MMS on my account

Steve un-blocked MMS on my account

turn phone on

Phone updated profile

able to send MMS now

That Steve is a good guy to know....

Master

APOCALYPSEAD,

Thank you for helping other valuable Sprint customers with this issue. It's a great troubleshooting step. Happy connecting!

Stacy
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

The Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is here!wp_ss_20140804_0001.pngwp_ss_20140804_0003.pngwp_ss_20140804_0004.png

Journeyman

Thanks Apolalypsead, I called in to have this done. They didn't want to right away because it wasn't on their "new troubleshooting document." We went through the same ##72786# steps, when those failed again, I had asked a few more times to at least give these steps a try and they finally did it. I got the PRL Update, but unfortunately no change to MMS.

Looks like "Windows 8.1" dev preview released an update to "Windows 8.1 Update". That didn't fix it either. I am still waiting for the official 8.1 build, if that doesn't fix it guessing the phone is dead. So now its hard to tell if its really a phone issue or a software version issue. Will wait and see.

Master

hammzone365 - That's not good at all. We're so sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your text message service. Please allow us to take a look into this situation for you. Here's a link with the steps to contact us offline http://bit.ly/1r79JRS. We look forward to getting your issue resolved as soon as possible. Thank you. - Kayan Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

hammzone365, I think your theories are correct, if not fact. I have been puzzling over these issues myself. What manual entries have you made to get internet data working? I can live without MMS for now, but internet data is essential.

Journeyman

The last day of Summer is September 22, 2014 That's how long Sprint has.

I shall reword the statement with "NO ONE HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS UPDATING TO 8.1 UPDATE 1 BESIDES SOME CUSTOMERS WITH HTC WINDOWS PHONES." There are customers with faulty devices, and there are customers with well working devices. Others and myself have had a great experience. I hope the problem is solved for those who are having problems with their BETAs. The issue for some Sprint customers is the Roaming issues. Some people who have had those problems have had it fixed. There are different solutions. I will post five of them here. As far as Visual Voice Mail goes, that is an app issue that Sprint will have to fix and update in the Windows Phone store. I have no problems with V V M on 8.1, but it is still buggy. Every carrier has different complaints by customers and BETA testers on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. The one main complaint on all carriers are the HTC phones, but some of those are getting fixed. Windows Phone just got another update to Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14157.200). For those who are updating for the first time, do not do a hard reset! And when you get the developer preview, you will be able to get the long awaited official Sprint version of Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. Here are the five solutions for one of the problems with Sprint customers.

Solution 1.

ANAJEEJONES replied (in response to APOCALYPSEAD) 1 day ago

I figured it out. There was no problem with my OS; the phone was faulty. I had them replace the phone(for free, I might add), install all windows phone 8 updates and then I put the Dev back on it with all updates. It is working awesomely now. Thanks for the advice, Apocalypsead. As for sprint customer care, you guys need to get on the ball. There should be no reason why your subscribers should have more product knowledge than you! If we asked you a question about Android, iOS or even Blackberry you would be able to support it. Like it or not, you guys need to get trained and updated on how to support a Windows Phone. And you may ask yourself who am I and why do I feel this way: I am a former trainer for Sprint who made sure that all of my classes were on their game concerning all products that we supported.

Solution 2.

My MMS wasn't working either and I got that Error 225 not activated message.  Did the ##72786# reset and it didn't work..Then I got on the phone with Steve (2nd line of support) and Steve fixed it. When he looked at the account, there was nothing wrong.  Here's what he did:

turn off phone

Steve blocked MMS on my account

Steve un-blocked MMS on my account

turn phone on

Phone updated profile

able to send MMS now

That Steve is a good guy to know....

Solution 3.

Currently Being Moderated

Hey Buel, I was in the same boat, but you can try this: Use Cortana, search for "Network Profile" - swipe to the left once to bring up search results on the phone, click on "Network Profile" - this takes you to the *missing* Network Profile settings page.

Source:

HTC 8XT - Sprint - Windows Phone 8.1 - Update PRL?

This works for some people. Good luck!

Solution 4.

• How I got data (Profile Update) to work on my 8XT, items covered/tried while on the phone with Sprint/HTC
  1. Found that the "Update Network Profile" selection was missing after the hard reset. 
  2. Did ##786# to get into Service Tools, > selected MSL, input password 508214, selected MSL again, selected than inputted the MDN than MSID that Sprint gave me than hit save. Phone will reset. Spent about 30 minutes with Sprint without getting data back.
  1. 3. Called HTC for help, they had me pull the SIM (which rebooted the phone),  several minutes after power up re-inserted the SIM, phone than rebooted itself. Entered ##UPDATE# on keypad and the phone than reloaded the network profile and data was back. Have kept the WIFI off and the phone has been great, only issue still working is how to get notification for waiting voice mail.

Solution 5.

This is something I over herd in the Sprint store from two customers conversation. Have Wifi connected while doing the ##786# and then do a Device self service from the settings > activate your device. The whole process may take several attempts before it works.

wp_ss_20140820_0001.png

wp_ss_20140820_0002.png

Journeyman

I've posted some solutions that might help fix the problem.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat