cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimming Screen on Inactive PRO - Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dimming Screen on Inactive PRO - Help!

so I got my new PRO yesterday. I played around with it but I didn't activate it on my account yet. I am a little nervous because I have trouble tapping the screen. It's probably the plastic that is on it out of the box but I'm really pressing and it's not responding. Also, the phone is doing this weird lighting thing. It is almost like the phone has a heartbeat. It isn't timing out like the normal "you haven't touched the screen in a while" dimming effect, it's very very subtle. Anyone know anything about this? It's almost like if I am holding the phone, and I tilt it one way it gets a little brighter, then if I tilt it back the other way then it gets darker. Like I said it is very subtle, enough for paranoid me to notice but easily missed if not paying attention. It bothers me because it almost seems like there is a short in the screen. This is why I haven't activated it yet because I am fearful of needing a replacement. Can anyone help on this? Thanks

Message Edited by SarahKS on 12-23-2008 09:27 AM

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Dimming Screen on Inactive PRO - Help!

Hi SophiaSmokey -

I think it best if you call or chat with Customer Care about your question or take it in to a ReadyNow setup session. If you go the ReadNow route, they'll also transfer all of you contacts, email accounts etc.  http://www.sprint.com/readynow

Highlighted
Master

Can't recall exactly how the out-of-the-box plastic felt when I first setup my phone but I know with the protective shield that came with it, it's really easy to touch and use the phone. Again, not sure if its because of the out-of-the-box plstice you still have on the phone though.

The phone has a sensor within the ear piece speaker which checks for ambient light and self adjusts the phones back light to make it easier to view. It sounds like that's what you are seeing. Since the out-of-the-box plastic is covering this sensor, it has a hard timereading the ambient light and could probably fluctuate as you describe.

I would take off the out-of-the-box plastice, apply the shield that came with the phone, and see if the issues get better. If they don't, then contact CS or take it to a Sprint store to be checked and replaced if necessary. If they clear up, then get the phone activated and enjoy.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

First off, thank you Sarah for moving my question. I wasn't sure if someone had asked before and I didn't want to repost something and I don't have time to search here at work. I just went down to the repair center and they can't help me and looked at me crosseyed. If what you say is true about an ambient light sensor in the earpiece then the phone is ok and I don't have to send it back. I took the plastic off and it's fine with touch now. The light thing really made me worry. Why doesn't it mention this in the user manual? I read the whole thing hoping that was it. (I had a hunch but wasn't sure it was THAT advanced.) I don't want to return it because I am afraid I won't find another one and I can't afford the exchange so I'd be without. Any other tips that you can tell me about that aren't found in the user manual? I'd so greatly appreciate it!

Highlighted
Master

If you want to save battery time, set your screen displays to the minimum. Touching the battery icon in the top task bar will get you to where these settings and the ambient setting are located. Also, only run connection settings when you need them, BlueTooth, WiF, etc.. as they will constantly poll devices thus depleting the battery time.I use the heck out of my phone and average a day and a half before recharging the battery.

Play around in the settings section, 2nd to last icon on the main screen. Get familiar with all the WinMo settings which will allow you to chang default font size, keyboard layouts, etc.. For instance, the Sounds and Notifications will allow you to enable a click sound when touching soft and hardware keys, better feedback (I'll mention touch feedback later). Owner Information will allow you to plug all your personal contact info into the phone. Screen will allow you to change font size and recalibrate with the stylus. Regional Settings will allow you to change the time, date, currency and similar formats like Windows. You'll also find the Update PRL, Update Profile and Update Windows icons there. Stay away from the Clear Storage icon unless you want to Hard Reset your phone. It will ask for a confirmation, so you can't accidentally screw anything up.

If not familiar with WinMo phones, closing apps (touching the X in the corner) doesn't really close the apps, it minimizes them. However, if you click the icon in the upper right most corner, then touch the wrench icon, you can change it to close rather then minimize. More apps you have open, the harder the phone has to work on the current app thus wearing down the battery.

There's a number of registry hacks, if your comfortable with modifying the registry on windows, then it won't be a problem on this type of device. Plenty of hacks and programs here and here. Stay away from the Advance Configuration and similar products, they mess up some internal settings on CDMA devices and uninstalling doesn't fix it. I mentioned touch feedback, there is a really cool program called Touch Response which can be had here.

In the meantime, there are some additional things mentioned here.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm coming from the old Touch so the settings and things are similar but I did what you said and went into the battery and didn't see any settings for the ambient light sensor. All I saw was the normal backlight adjustments and then a setting for "auto adjust backlight." I still don't know how to change the sensor settings or even where they are. Can you help? Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a know issue from out of the Box touch pros.

you will need to do a Hardware reset, to do this

Hold the volume up key the center round key on the phone, and the power button at the same time, and then reset the phone by pressing the reset button with your stylus on the bottom of the phone, keep holding those buttons together until the phone shows directions on the screen, just follow the directions, and you should be good.

Highlighted
Master

@SophiaSmokey wrote:
All I saw was the normal backlight adjustments and then a setting for "auto adjust backlight."

The "Auto Adjust Backlight" is the ambient setting I was describing. With that option checked, it automatically adjusts the back light based on the the ambient light. With it unchecked, you can use the two "On Battery Power" and "On External Power" to adjust the backlight to what you want. They are disabled when the "Auto Adjust Backlight" option is enabled.

Personally, I've always left it checked and haven't had any issues indoors or outdoors with not being able to see the screen clearly.

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

@MerdinH wrote:

This is a know issue from out of the Box touch pros.

Hold the volume up key the center round key on the phone, and the power button at the same time, and then reset the phone by pressing the reset button with your stylus on the bottom of the phone, keep holding those buttons together until the phone shows directions on the screen, just follow the directions, and you should be good.

what is the difference between doing all of this and going into the settings and using the clear storage reset? Also, how the heck does someone hold down all 3 buttons AND use the stylus AND put it in the reset hole to push it with only TWO hands? I tried, I need a third hand. It's nutty! haha.
Message Edited by SophiaSmokey on 12-24-2008 08:46 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Clear Storage option in the Settings is the same as doing the other three-finger salute, they're both "Hard Resets."

Highlighted
Master

@dole wrote:
The Clear Storage option in the Settings is the same as doing the other three-finger salute, they're both "Hard Resets."

Actually, the three finger salute only involves holding the VolDn button and Enter Button, then press the Power Button until the confirmation shows up. Then Press the VolUp to confirm any other key to exit.

What Merdin describes is something else or a mistake.

@MerdinH wrote:

I think he was thinking the same thing, but was going by memory and had the sequence off.

Sophia, being that your phone is brand new, it won't hurt anything to do it, but from what I've seen and what you described, it doesn't sound like you need to.

Message Edited by smotrs on 12-24-2008 10:32 AM

--

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat