ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early 2010 for WinMo 6.5 Touch Pro 2 upgrade? Seriously?

Journeyman

Early 2010 for WinMo 6.5 Touch Pro 2 upgrade? Seriously?

PCWorld has an article up today covering the release of Windows Mobile 6.5 and mentions some of the phones that are getting the upgrade. It specifically says that the Sprint TP2 won't get the upgrade until early 2010. I just have one question. Is this true? If this is true, then I have another question. Are you serious!?

I have a hard time believing that even Sprint would be so dense as to not have the upgrade available on launch (today, October 6) or shortly thereafter. There is absolutely zero reason to have a delay. The excuse that Sprint needs some time to do QA on a ROM update to 6.5 is a moot point. First, HTC develops the ROM for Sprint. Second, WinMo 6.5 has been RTM for many months now to allow for OEMs to work out any kinks. Third, The AT&T Tilt 2 has shipped with 6.5 from the factory. This is a variation of the HTC Rhodium. Fourth, people who have access to carrier ROMs have obtained the Sprint 6.5 TP2 ROM and was leaked weeks ago; only in a form that isn't flashable to our phones due to security locks in the SPL that haven't yet been broken and released yet.

So it's been established that there is a 6.5 ROM upgrade all ready to go and yet Sprint nor HTC will even say a word about why we don't have it on our handsets already. Want to lose customers? Ignore them.

68 REPLIES 68
Master

Re: Early 2010 for WinMo 6.5 Touch Pro 2 upgrade? Seriously?

Wow, early 2010? that's sooner then I thought. I was guessing between 2nd and 3rd quarter as the soonest.

Seriously, they just released the ROM update for the original TP,  almost every other network released a ROM update around 6 months ago. You should be thankful it happens in the 1st quarter.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't have the best reputation in the industry for post-release device firmware support. Even though I agree with you that it shouldn't take so long, I am actually surprised that they are saying they'll have one out in Q1 2010. I was pretty much resigned to not seeing one until much later and already looking at where the enthusiast community is in terms of getting the CDMA Rhodium unlocked and capable of accepting custom ROM installs.

I'm still not sure I'm going to get a TP2 -- I am finding Sprint's pricing decisions on the device to be abusive and intended to stick it to WinMo enthusiasts on legacy plans they don't want to give up -- but if I do, I'll be happy to see a 6.5 upgrade some time early next year.

As a practical matter, if you plan to keep TouchFlo running on the device, you really won't see much in the 6.5 upgrade except an app for direct interaction with MS's new app market and the upgraded PIE. Both of these will be accessible/installable by other means, and even with that said don't amount to all that much -- WM apps are all over the place so the marketplace is really more of a convenience than anything, and from what I've read, PIE, though improved, still won't be as good a browser as Opera or (especially) Skyfire.

Message was edited by: huntml

Journeyman

I agree with the original poster.  There are no secrets that WinMo 6.5 was coming out.  And Sprint should know their customers MUCH better than they have.

Spelled out:  HTC buyers typically buy it for functionality and usability of Windows Mobile!  Thats like me buying a Dell Laptop and Dell telling me I can't upgrade to Windows 7 even though I bought the laptop a month ago.

I have been a happy Sprint customer for the most part.  They just need to know the parallels between OS and Device when selling a new product.

Journeyman

i just got tp2 thinking that i could immediately upgrade.

it's quite upsetting to think that sprint is not pushing upgrades as fast as other providers.

Journeyman

I'm thinking of returning my Touch Pro 2, I stil have my original Touch Pro and the performance was better.

There was more available memory in the original and the browser didn't choke as the Pro 2 does on some websites

(it throws a series of out of memory errors, grrr).

By the time I get the 6.5 update (early 2010!!??) this phone may have been eclipsed by the WM7 hardware.

I've been waiting for a bigscreen Windows Mobile phone since my Pocket PC Phone Edition in 2003, guess I could wait a few more months.

However, the twisting in the wind on this update has me looking at AT&T, more phones and, apparently, better technical people.

Journeyman

Hey, I am always looking out there for the 'latest & greatest'; so I see this and ask just one question....

Sprint, are you just gonna stand there like a deer caught in the headlights and let AT&T show you up like this?!

Release the Windows Mobile 6.5

So what if there are some tweaks that are not quite 'tested', customers can be very forgiving when 'some' of their demands are met.

Sprint, at least you can give us a date for the upgraded ROM.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=HTC+Tilt2&q_sku=sku4030272...

Master

If you followed the live chat today which Sprint held, this was the answer regarding WinMobile 6.5 upgrades.

They're testing Windows Mobile 6.5 updates for the HTC Touch Pro2 and other Windows phones; "plan for early 2010."

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

Tired of waiting for 6.5 to be made available until sometime next year?

Unlocker tools are now available for the Touch Pro2. The unlocker will allow you to unlock your phone and enable you to install the ROM of your choice. So you can download a ROM that HTC already made available, download a custom rom from XDA or PPC-Geeks or start cooking your own ROM for the Touch Pro2.

Unlocker available here.

--

Journeyman

Im not as familiar with what winmo 6.5 has in it but had heard in reviews that much of  what the current TP2's offered by verizon and sprint had, already did many of the things 6.5 would do.  What am a missing with my tp2 that i dont have now, but that win 6.5 would give me?  And on a scale of 1 to 10 how outraged should i be for having to wait until early 2010 to get it?  Thanks.

Journeyman

Not a huge amount of difference functionally between 6.1 and 6.5, I think. Different interface, new Internet Explorer that's supposed to be a lot better, some improvements, I think, to the build to make it run a bit smoother and with a lower memory overhead, a couple other not-so-major things, at least two of which (Windows Mobile Marketplace, Microsoft My Phone) are already available to be installed via .cab.

The major improvement I'm looking for in the ROM update is the replacement of HTC's TouchFlo3D UI with its SenseUI, which a lot of reviews are saying is considerably better.

Message was edited by: huntml

Master

The front end, Titanium as MS calls the home page for the phone is considerably better then the past home page. Supposed to be much faster then 6.1 and I've tried several ROMs with 6.5 and it is considerably faster then 6.1 on my TP. That and the fact that it will have the newest HTC Manila 2.5, maybe not the Sense Manila that the Hero has but a similar manila like the Verizon Imagio.

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat