cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gave up on Pre, got a HTC Touch Pro - having issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gave up on Pre, got a HTC Touch Pro - having issues

I did a lot of research on the HTC Touch Pro and new it was probably not the most stable phone, but it got 4/5 on Phonescoop and looks like it had some nice features.

The UI on this really stinks. The touch screen is really unresponsive and the software is really, really slow for a phone with such a fast CPU on it. But, I kinda expected this and it's not really a deal killer. However, I'm having some real issues and I'm hoping here others can comment and maybe provide some help.

My biggest issue with the bluetooth. I have used my Jabra BT8010 for a while and it's worked great with several phones. This headset is very feature rich and honestly I would sooner separate with my phone than this headset. Since having the HTC, I've noticed that about 75% of the time after I get off a call about a minute later the headset is active again. What I mean by that is the "Call in progress" symbol is displayed on the headset and the speaker on the headset has a soft hiss. The headset is no longer responsive until either another call comes thru or I turn the headset on and off. I tried resetting both devices and repairing, but I still get the same issue. The problem with this is that it's draining battery life from both devices and it renders my headset useless until it's reset.

I also notice on my Mac that my phone autoconnects and I can't stop it unless I turn bluetooth off on one of the devices. Again, this is sucking my battery dry fairly quick.

Second issue, the UI frequently freezes. I know WinMo has a reputation for being unstable, but it's at the point where I need to reboot 2-3x a day. WinMo 6.1 should be better than that.

Third issue, I have my .Mac mail set up. I get my mail no problem, but about 40% of the time the mail I send off the phone never makes it to the destination. I'm not getting an error and my EV symbol is displayed and I have 4-5 bars. Never had this issue on my BB Curve.

Fourth issue, ActiveSync takes several minutes before the connection is established and it syncs correctly. On a couple occassions, I had to reboot and reattempt syncing several times over 20min before it worked.

Does this sound typical for this phone or do I maybe have a lemon? Should I maybe try a Treo Pro (not as fancy but it gets higher ratings)? Or should I just go back to my Curve and wait for something better to come along later this year. I'm hearing good things about Android, maybe that's the phone I should wait for (of course I worry about being told I need to switch plans just to use it).

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Gave up on Pre, got a HTC Touch Pro - having issues

Touch Pro 2 possibly Jul/Aug

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been seeing the Touch Pro 2 could be available as soon as mid-June. I'm very impatient and I want a new phone NOW!!

I've actually started to get used to the quirks of the Touch Pro 1. Still having bluetooth issues, but I'm finding it's not such a big deal. However, after seeing videos on the Touch Pro 2, I really would kick myself in the butt if I held on to my TP 1 and then this came out in a month or so.

My big question is, will it require the Everything Data plan or can I continue to use my Pro Pack??? I have a feeling the new smartphones are going to require the Everything plans shortly and for me that's no good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I, of course am not a Sprint official, but I would venture to guess that whatever the plan requirements are for the Touch Pro would be the same for the Touch Pro 2 since it is just an updated model of the original phone.

I think on the Instinct (which I had for a very short while until I could unload it and get the Touch Pro) you had to use the Everything plan, I just carried it forward on to my Touch Pro since it fits nicely.

But you would need to contact Sprint, see what they are requiring for the current Touch Pro and that should help you gage how the TP2 will rollout.

Just my 2 cents... 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

My work phone is a fuze (the att version) and I have the same issues. If anyone can give some insight I'd like to hear it too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For your complaints about the UI, you can tweak it to make it faster.

I did this to my friend's Touch Pro and it helped it alot. You can download the app here, install it to your phone.

Cleaning up your text inbox also drastically helps with performance.

-tk

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have a Touch Pro with several issues, battery life (less than a day), phone freezes, video is slow etc... The Touch Pro 2 looks like a better size phone being a little larger but still has WM 6.1 until the version 6.5 comes out, that worries me that it might have simular issues. I've heard rumors that Sprintmay be updating the Touch Pro 1with WM 6.5from other web sites, maybe if/when this might help existing HTC Touch Pro users?

I've had other Smart phones (Samsung i500, Treo 700p, Blackberry 7100) and didn't have near as many what appears to be OS problems, I'm currently not a Windows OS fan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

you might need to update the rom on the phone and do some tweaking on it, windows mobile OS is really slow, i've used a toshiba g810 and a great phone but the OS is not so great

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat