cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Elite X3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HP Elite X3

The Icon (Lumia 929) and Lumia 735 are devices which came with Windows Phone 8/8.1, and not with Windows 10 for Mobile. Yes, it works with the current mobile version, but has Qualcomm CDMA code which is not current, but it was when the devices were released.

Currently, there is not a single device with Windows 10 for Mobile out of the box which supports current Qualcomm CDMA code, as the mobile platform does not have any CDMA code programmed in it. How can Sprint, Verizon, or any other CDMA carrier in the US be responsible for Microsoft's blunder of not obtaining Qualcomm CDMA Certification via the Global Certification Forum (GCF) because they REFUSE to bring back a Qualcomm Certified CDMA coder to Team Windows for Mobile? Did you know their only coder (which they had to hire in order to have devices offered on Sprint and US Cellular, and to update the code on the HTC 8X, and Lumia 822 for Verizon customers via GDR2) was laidoff at the beginning of 2015? Microsoft has been a total pain in the neck to CDMA carriers, and it seems they have not learned their lessons from all the blunders they made with Windows Phone 7.

Journeyman

If Microsoft doesn't submit a new build of Windows 10 for Mobile in order to obtain the REQUIRED Qualcomm CDMA certification, you will not see any devices with Microsoft's current platform on CDMA networks. Let's say Microsoft is using the same logic they had when Windows Phone 7 was released. It took them over a year to release a grand total of two devices by HTC with CDMA support which was nothing short of broken and obsolete China Mobile CDMA code, and not the Qualcomm standard.

GrandMaster

might as well toss out what you do for a living so theres a bit of merit behind what youre saying.

mainly for the nay sayers.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Correct, but it's all about business. Let's say that only one guy/girl did the CDMA code for Microsoft, it was simple enough that it carried over easily to Windows 10. Even if it was old code, it worked very well. Our Lumia 635s, Ativ S Neos and 8XTs all performed well in descending order. Yes, the random SMS not sending during a call was curious, but my Lumia 635 handled the Sprint Spark's Tri Band very well.

So if Microsoft builds a Windows 10 Lumia, and via an update OTA it can possibly work on the Sprint network, it won't... Until they register it through Sprint.

Journeyman

So what your saying is W10 Mobile is backwards compatible with the CDMA version of Windows Phone 8/8.1 but cannot be used as is with a new CDMA phone? I think I understand what your saying but wouldn't there have to be some CDMA code in W10 Mobile?  If not and they want to be cheap why couldn't they just take out the CDMA code from Windows Phone 8/8.1 and add that to W10 Mobile?

Journeyman

The devices themselves will still need a physical CDMA radio or perhaps the combined GSM/CDMA/LTE radio manufactured by Qualcomm, and it still has to be approved by CDMA carriers. Nome of the devices currently available shipping with Windows 10 for Mobile have a CDMA radio on their chipsets. Support for CDMA has to be listed and for which bands and frequencies are guaranteed to work (both CDMA and LTE bands assigned to specific CDMA networks).

Journeyman

Exactly. The two biggest players here are the carrier and the manufacturer. It's all business from there. Carriers want to cell cellular service, manufacturers want to sell cellular devices, software makers want to sell software services.

If Sprint bids for a Windows 10 Mobile phone, it will happen. But even if manufacturers physically built a phone with CDMA radios and the CDMA ROM software was there, noting can happen until the IMEI is registered by the Carrier.

CDMA carriers request a bulk amount of IMEIs to be produced with the manufacturer. The manufacturer has the right ROM installed and ships it out. Done.

Journeyman

The code used for the devices upgrade from Windows 8/8.1 is considered obsolete for current Qualcomm CDMA standards. Once a code is set from a previous version of the mobile operating system, it can be used on a new operating system, and more likely it may not get upgraded unless Microsoft gets up to current Qualcomm CDMA code. This is no different for devices running in older versions of Android, iOS, WebOS, Blackberry, or any proprietary OS for basic cell phones.

What irks me is how Microsoft on their retooling of their Mobile division will leave nearly 60% of the US cellphone market out of new devices running Windows 10 out of the box. I guess they love giving exclusives to AT&T so they can have the knuckleheads at WC review them, while not answering questions on why recycling a failed approach. Ignoring CDMA in a CDMA dependent market as the US will not suit well for Microsoft, especially when the US is their home market.

Anyone who defends the approach from Microsoft needs to think about what I just stated.

Journeyman

But when the manufacturer/OS developer avoid CDMA coding, who is to blame then? The carriers? That logic by Microsoft was why no regional CDMA networks are willing to negotiate until MICROSOFT decides to be as supportive to CDMA networks as they are on the GSM side of things. Microsoft has been doing this for more than a decade, and they blame the process every major manufacturer follows, especially the requirement of a Qualcomm Certified CDMA coder be part of their staff (which comes at a minimum of $50-$80k a year, and why Microsoft, as well as independent manufacturers like Blu are refusing to pay for it).

Journeyman

Microsoft has that money. But they want the carrier to pledge before risking another write-off. Like I said, it's all business. I love my 950 Lumia. It is best. I just wish that my Sprint line had a better option than 635 for Miracasting and syncing my interface accounts.

Journeyman

Microsoft used the cost of testing devices for Verizon as an excuse not to bother in obtaining Qualcomm CDMA Certification, knowing Sprint, US Cellular, and a few regional carriers showed a lot of interest on the 950 and 950XL. To put it in simple terms, Team Windows Mobile and Microsoft gave the equivalent of a two middle finger salute, and sites like Windows Central have refused to do proper investigative reporting, meaning getting proper response from Verizon and Sprint at the very least.

Journeyman

If Microsoft has the money to spend to get the proper CDMA certification for Windows 10 for Mobile, why haven't they done so, and why did they laid off their only Certified Qualcomm CDMA coder earlier last year knowing Qualcomm nor any CDMA carrier will approve any Windows 10 for Mobile devices using the same code used on GDR2 3 years ago?

If I recall, Microsoft was on a deadline from the FCC, Qualcomm, and every CDMA network to drop the China Mobile based CDMA code (which is intentionally broken) and use the proper Qualcomm CDMA coding, otherwise Microsoft would have risked the chance to have a ban of their Windows Phone platform in their home market.

I also recall Microsoft had postwd help wanted ads on every major job seeking site for a Qualcomm Cettified CDMA coder to work along Team Windows Phone as late as February, 2013 (which was only four months away from the deadline). To phrase it in simple terms, Microsoft had only a few days to spare when GDR2 along the 8XT, Ativ S Neo, and the US Cellular's version of the Samsung Ativ Oddyssey were submitted for Qualcomm CDMA Certification through the CDMA Certification Forum aka CCF (which was a dedicated group of people at thw Global Certification Forum which handled exclusively CDMA devices for Qualcomm CDMA Certification).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat