cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Mogul - Wifi Only Mode

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Mogul - Wifi Only Mode

It appears that there is no way to force the HTC Mogul to be in Wifi Only Mode. I don't want the phone on (CDMA 800/1900) at all, all I want is Wifi On.

I am going overseas to Ireland and it might be nice to use the Wifi Only Mode so I could connect to Skype for free calling when in Wifi range. But it appears the only way for the Wifi to work is to have the phone on. Well if the phone is on it will keep searching for service all day (draining the battery too) as there are no carriers using PCS in Europe, especially not on CDMA.

In addition, with more airlines/railways allowing Wifi connections, it might be nice to have the option. As it is against FCC law (not FAA law as many people think) to use a mobile phone while aboard an aircraft. Plus railways (Amtrak) are starting to include Wifi on board, likely works better than Sprint when in the forests far from any EVDO towers.

Oh well, again something that Sprint missed telling the phone mfgs to do.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Mogul - Wifi Only Mode

Not sure about the settings on a Mogul. I have the Touch Pro and in the communications manager I can turn off the phone radio and turn on the wi-fi. See if the Mogul has a similar setting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@GallifreyRebel wrote:
Not sure about the settings on a Mogul. I have the Touch Pro and in the communications manager I can turn off the phone radio and turn on the wi-fi. See if the Mogul has a similar setting.

Already tried this, there is no way to turn off the phone and have Wifi work at the same time. Did you try this on your phone?

Message Edited by miketech_79 on 06-08-2009 12:29 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes it works just fine on the Touch Pro. In the communications manager there is a setting for Phone, you turn that off. Then in the same section you turn on WiFi. I am able to browse the web while configured this way, and of course I will not get any phone calls at that time since the phone radio is turned off.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@GallifreyRebel wrote:
Yes it works just fine on the Touch Pro. In the communications manager there is a setting for Phone, you turn that off. Then in the same section you turn on WiFi. I am able to browse the web while configured this way, and of course I will not get any phone calls at that time since the phone radio is turned off.

I wish I had that option on mine. If I turn the phone (not the airplane mode) off, then it just activates the airplane mode instead of turning off just the phone, then of course nothing works!

Message Edited by miketech_79 on 06-08-2009 10:16 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have no clue why, but after messing with some settings before (a few weeks ago) and trying this again today, suddenly the WiFi Only Mode works on my Mogul!

I may have enabled this registry entry to make this work (but can't remember doing so):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\CommManager

TurnOnWLANInFlightMode = 1

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat