cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Snap firmware update disabled my ringtones

Journeyman

HTC Snap firmware update disabled my ringtones

I ran the firmware update on my HTC snap phone 2 days ago and my ringtone quit working.  I had 2 ringtones that had been downloaded on to this phone and those are showing to be corrupted now.  The ringtones that actually were installed on my phone when I purchased it (barely a month ago) are not working either.  When I try to switch from the downloaded (corrupted) ringtone, I get an error message ... so my phone will not ring at all.  I spent HOURs on the phone with tech support last night and we did a hard restart on my phone and saved the text messages and contacts...then, put them all back on my phone...The representative did a test call and my phone rang on the standard default ringer.  It was close to midnight when I finally got off the phone last night, so I did not try switching the ringtone then....but, this morning when I tried to change the ringtone (just to a basic one since there are none downloaded on my phone anymore)...I get the same error message I got yesterday.  I know this has to do with the firmware update because there were no problems at all until that update.....I need someone to help me and not try to sell me "equipment protection" like the first guy at sprint did last night......He told me "the good news is we are in open enrollment and you can PAY for equipment protection...then, we will send you a NEW phone for ONLY $50.00"  He said that like he was offering me something good...Nevermind the fact that this is a brand new phone and the problem with it has nothing to do with me...and everything to do with an update that we are supposed to put on our phones to supposedly protect them.

Tags (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Snap firmware update disabled my ringtones

I am having the same problem.  The firmware update disabled my ability to received text messages.  I could send them but none were coming in to me.  I took it to the Sprint store last night and they did a hard reset.  Everything (including text messaging) seemed to be working after I left the store, but when I tried to change my ringtone, it wouldn't allow it. I can change all the other sounds except the ringtone and the standard one is very annoying.  Did you find any solutions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  I do not know if I missed any text messages....I was so upset about the phone being silent that I never noticed.

After spending hours being transferred from one rep to another and nobody knows what they are doing, I finally got someone who agreed to send me a new phone without me having to purchase another (I have had this phone exactly 35 days now- and they kept telling me since I was past the initial 30 days, I would have to buy another phone)

I'm getting another Snap and I hope it is better than this one...but, after I agreed to let them replace it with the same phone, I found some articles on google from 2008 and people having the same problem....getting error messages when trying to change the ringtones.

Another gripe I have about this phone is that there is NO timestamp on received text messages.  I called tech support on this when I first got the phone and they kept telling me....They are working on the issue and "hopefully" it will be resolved soon......Nobody knows anything and that gets so frustrating...It makes me want to climb through the phone and do their job for them.

I don't understand what can be so hard about getting a time stamp on text messages...They've been doing it for years.

Highlighted
Patron

I am having the same problem and of course it did not start until I updated the firmware. I called sprint and the guy made me rest my whole phone. When I called back they told me that it was a known problem and it will be fixed by friday. It is now sunday and the problem is not fixed. I can set ringtones for everything else but my default ringtone. My phone rings only o vibrate and I have missed alot of calls because of Sprint and their HTC updates. This problem is becoming very annoying and it needs to be fixed now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know what to say....If I didn't have 4 phones under contract with Sprint, I would switch in a heartbeat.  The customer service reps are all more concerned with the satisfaction survey that they use to determine their pay rates or whatever than actually figuring out what the problem is and how to fix it.  Every time I call Sprint, something gets changed on my account and then, I have 4 or 5 long calls being transferred all over the world to fix that problem and then something else happens.  I think this last guy I talked to saw all the complaint notes on my account and he didnt even talk to me...just told me he was going to send me another phone.

In hindsight, I wish I would have had him send me something that wasn't windows based, but I guess I'll get the new phone tomorrow and hope for the best.

How long have you had your HTC Snap?  I  think you should keep calling and refuse to speak to anyone other than a manager, then demand that they get you a new phone overnighted.  These phones are too expensive to not work right.

I can be contacted on aol.  My sn is westtxdiana if you would rather not go through the forum....I wish you the best.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In case you all are still having problems receiving texts... I sent an email inquiry to HTC and in less than 24 hours received the response below:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the issues you have experienced with the HTC Snap. I can understand how important it is to be able to fully utilize your device and be able to get your text messages. If you would kindly check the Memory in your device by following these steps: 1) Start 2) Settings 3) System (Tab) 4) Memory Look under the storage section and see how much memory is next to where it says "Free"? You should also contact Sprint to see if they have a tower out in the area causing the text message to not be able to go through the Network.

I actually located the memory under Settings>Device Info>Hardware. I freed up some memory by deleting pictures, old texts...etc. and I received a text from last Thursday immediately.

May be worth a try if you're still waiting on Sprint to call you back like I was. It kept me from having to do a hard reset, which I wanted to avoid. Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue and have been for about 2 weeks now. After doing that firmware update my main ringertones would not let me set to anything but the annoying preset ones and I can no longer set my homepage to the pictures I have in my phone. I've talked to sprint about 4 times and they have no clue what to do. I called again today and the lady is telling me that they havent heard of any issues with an update on the HTC Snaps and that the updates aren't good to do unless we call and check with sprint first. They are taking no responsiblity for this at all. She is trying to make it seem like it's the fact that I use 3rd party ringtones that is the problem. I've been using the same 3rd party ringtones for several yrs and not once have they just up and stopped working. I paid too much money for that phone for it to not work properly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem as all of you and I feel like an idiot for accepting the update when it popped up on my phone on March 24. I cannot change my wallpaper to a picture of my own or change the main ring tones. I called HTC support and they told me they sent NO firmeware updates out and that I should hard reset the phone. Do not hard reset the phone as this DOES NOT correct the problem...which really scares me because if a hard reset does not work then what the heck will.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the update or undo it?

Also, if HTC did not send out the update, it might have been an update that windows sent out and they are to blame. This needs to be addressed and fixed soon. By the way Sprint, please don't tell people to hard reset the phone...That DOES  NOT fix this error.

Please help anyone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just happened to me! Here's a temp fix: Download PHM Registry Editor here: http://www.smartphonefreeware.org/download/phm-registry-editor-0.70 Transfer the .cab file (25 KB) to your device and run. Open PHM Registry Editor Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Conrol Panel/Sounds/Ringtone0 Press the left softkey (Values) Scroll Down, open sound and type the ringtone in the value field, example: \My Documents\My Ringtones\yourtonehere.wma or \Windows\Ring-Standard.wma Reboot (Maybe) Try it first!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is caused by the latest firmware upgrade. There appears to be no workaround or fix. One purported fix out there on the web requests you edit the registry \..current user\control panel\sounds\ring0 and change th 'value' in the key value Value to the appropriate ringtone file object name e.g. \windows\standard-ring.wma This does not work. What I am left trying to do is going to a repair center and getting them to DOWNGRADE the firmware to previous version.

Sprint really screwed this one up, of course they did, this is what they do best. But at any rate it's clear NO ONE is testing this stuff before they roll it out, and what's worse, they don't even bother to pretend care enough to STOP distributing it after it's obvious and public there's a severe bug in it. This problem has been written about on the web since almost the first day the upgrade was released and Sprint goes along fat dumb and stupid continuing to send it out.

Good job, morons.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SrSr - I agree with your entire post except for the part about the fix I mentioned above not working. If you have tried the fix, can you use PHM registry editor to export the "Ringtone0" key (.reg file) , transfer it to your desktop, open it with notepad and post the contents here? I'm using a custom sound so my reg file looks like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0]

"Script"="apw3r"

"Sound"=\\My Documents\\mainscr1.wav

"SavedSound"=\\My Ringtones\\mainscr1.wav

"Category"="Ring"

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Moved thread to Windows Smart Phones forum

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat