Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC TP2 and Swype Performance

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC TP2 and Swype Performance

I've used Swype on an Android OS device (and I love the performance level) and was wondering how Swype performs on the TP2 with WinMo 6.1 as I'm about to upgrade my device to the TP2?  Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Rod,

I have a TP2 with stock ROM (6.1) and have been using Swype since December.  It runs perfectly as far as I can tell and I love it.  I installed it to the external memory.  I do have to re-select Swype after every power up or soft reset as the phone will revert to the WM 6.1 soft keyboard if I do a power cycle while Swype is the selected keyboard.  (This doesn't happen when the HTC soft keyboard is selected - the phone reboots and holds that selection).

Having said this, if you run a few searches at PPCGeeks.com, you will find that there are other users who have had some serious problems.  One that I recall happened to whip his memory card out of the phone (without even powering down) while Swype was selected and running on the card and it bricked his phone.  So...use at your own risk...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Rod,

I have a TP2 with stock ROM (6.1) and have been using Swype since December.  It runs perfectly as far as I can tell and I love it.  I installed it to the external memory.  I do have to re-select Swype after every power up or soft reset as the phone will revert to the WM 6.1 soft keyboard if I do a power cycle while Swype is the selected keyboard.  (This doesn't happen when the HTC soft keyboard is selected - the phone reboots and holds that selection).

Having said this, if you run a few searches at PPCGeeks.com, you will find that there are other users who have had some serious problems.  One that I recall happened to whip his memory card out of the phone (without even powering down) while Swype was selected and running on the card and it bricked his phone.  So...use at your own risk...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll run the stock ROM as it's a requirement where I work.  I also have a PPC 6700 with a stock ROM and have had NO problems to date other than OS age, (almost 5 years old) but I've had to hack the registry and add a few things to get it to run Flash content and such.  I push about 7GB a month through my 6700 a month and it's time to get a larger screen.

I can tell you that Swype for the Android OS (not at liberty to specify platform or version  due to NDA) is wonderful. I'm also thinking about a 4G Android device on Sprint's network for my personal phone and it's may or may not have or need a keyboard with what I've experienced with Swype thus far.

Again thanks for sharing your user experience with Swype on the TP2 platform.

Have a great 1xRTT/3-4G day!

-Rod

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat