Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here tried a Sprint AIRAVE to improve signal

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone here tried a Sprint AIRAVE to improve signal

Does it work well for both voice and data?

How is the range?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Has anyone here tried a Sprint AIRAVE to improve signal

I have the AIRAVE, it is only a voice support tool and is not designed or intended for data (ie. it is not 3G). It work pretty well, I have good coverage throughout my house. I live in a 1 story house so don't know how it works over multiple floors.

Depending on the device you have if it has WiFi on it then you do not need data on the AIRAVE.

Here are a few things to know about it:

1. While you can restrict it to only your phone, doing this means that if anyone is within range they will not be able to make or receive phone calls. They will get a recording that they cannot make a call at this time. I ended up setting mine back to allow any phone to connect.

2. If you start a phone call from within range of the device and then leave it will automatically pass you off to a normal cell tower, however if you are on the phone as you come in range of the device it will not pick up your call. It tries to, but it will make the quality of your call drop until you pretty much have to hang up and redial and let the call start on the device.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the AIRAVE, it is only a voice support tool and is not designed or intended for data (ie. it is not 3G). It work pretty well, I have good coverage throughout my house. I live in a 1 story house so don't know how it works over multiple floors.

Depending on the device you have if it has WiFi on it then you do not need data on the AIRAVE.

Here are a few things to know about it:

1. While you can restrict it to only your phone, doing this means that if anyone is within range they will not be able to make or receive phone calls. They will get a recording that they cannot make a call at this time. I ended up setting mine back to allow any phone to connect.

2. If you start a phone call from within range of the device and then leave it will automatically pass you off to a normal cell tower, however if you are on the phone as you come in range of the device it will not pick up your call. It tries to, but it will make the quality of your call drop until you pretty much have to hang up and redial and let the call start on the device.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fantastic info! Strange about EVDO - in their initial press releases they all say that EVDO should be released for the device in a few months and I thought the device was released quite a while ago.

I do have another question. Can a Verizon phone set for roaming use it as well?

Highlighted
Master

EVDO isn't possible on the hardware that is in the Airave, it is just a 1xRTT chipset. Due to the large differences in "broadband" speeds it probably wasn't planned since at certain "broadband" speeds it can be slower than even the 1xRTT speeds. There are wildly varying definitions of exactly what broadband is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks -

Does anyone know if Verizon phones can roam to the Airave?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Airave is just for Sprint customers. I have one since I am in a dead zone. It does help with call quality. Wish that I didn't have to pay for the device and have to pay Sprint each month to improve their lousy call quality. It feels like a slap in the face each month getting the monthly bill for the Airave. Soon enough I will be free from Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jonsigler - 2 things.

1. Customer care should give you the airave for free - lots of people got them for free if their home gets no signal.

2. Have you ever had someone with a verizon phone over? I just need them to be able to get calls not dial out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boe, customer care didn't care that I don't get a signal at my house, I tried for them to give me either the Airave or the monthly without cost. Apprently the fact that their map shows the line from fair to poor going through my house was enough for some phone jockey 2500 miles away to say I could get a signal. Ummm, no, I'm at my house and get horrible reception no matter that that map of yours says, I'm in the poor singal area.

I have had friends with Verizon phones over and they can both get in and outbound calls when the Airave is on. Interestingly they get better reception without the Airave at the house than I do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks - sorry about your bad luck with Sprint and customer care. When clients with Sprint tell me these stories I tell them if they have the time they just call customer care over and over and over again. Sprint's customer care is like Russian Roulette - usually 1 in every 6 reps you talk to isn't empty headed. Unfortunately it is very time consuming. Most of my clients pay me a good amount of money to call SPrint for them just because of the high frustation level.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have found the local repair facility in Rocky Hill, CT to be amazing. Not just amazing for Sprint, but any company as a whole. It is the only bright spot with Sprint in my opinion.

The monthly savings which has been a big fact holding me back from looking at other carriers, but has gotten old, and not worth the frustration any more from the phone side of things. Missed calls are missed sales for me. 1 sale could pay for 2 years of service (trying to tie in with Sprints current marketing theme of lower cost) on any of the phones on any networks they use as examples.

I'm actually trying a Verion phone out right now to see how the reception is before I port my number.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I completely understand switching to Verizon. Most of my friends are on Verizon. I do have to say I'm surprised you don't get good signal there, I get good signal when I visit Wethersfield and RockyHill and Newington although there is a deadspot near the Children's Hospital in Newington. I know a lot of my clients with the new Palm Pre say they get crappy reception on them even though they got better signal on their old PDA phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in South Windsor, almost into East Windsor, the ugly reception is here at the house specifically. There are other places as with any "radio" where the reception isn' perfect, but the house is the worst part. The troubles making and receiving calls is now more than I want to deal with.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat