cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here to clean things up and help out concerning WP 8.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here to clean things up and help out concerning WP 8.1

For starters Sprint has just about missed their third timeline, claiming November, for the official release of 8.1. Here's the deal. At this point whether we like to admit to it or not the official update more then likely won't be coming this year and possibly next. I would say there's only about a twenty percent chance we'll get it at all.

Just because the Samsung ATIV SE (found on other networks) doesn't mean the Neo variant will be getting the update any time soon or again at all.

When going to Samsung's website and you go to check out what they offer for Sprint customers there's nothing listed anymore and I'm taking that as not a good sign.

When it comes to the HTC One M8 and the Nokia (now Microsoft) 735 coming to Sprint I would take it as all just rumors until official word from either company.

I'm not trying to chase off customers when I say this, but if you really are a die hard WP user and want all the perks of a better phone selection and updates your best bet is with AT&T and a Lumia based phone. And AT&T is the only company so far that doesn't seem to be dropping Windows phones like a bad habit.

Please stop telling people it's totally alright to install the developer preview stating that's it's all good because it's not. The 8XT needed to be delayed due to it severely breaking the phone and with the ATIV S Neo you can't ever reliably do a soft / hard reset due to the radio issues, and when you ask for support reps will use soft / hard resets to try to fix your phone pretty often.

Good news is I might be wrong about all of this and great things could be just around the corner. I'm basing everything I said off of  what I've seen and realistic ideas. Hopefully I didn't offend anybody and this clears a few things up.

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Here to clean things up and help out concerning WP 8.1

What is crystal clear is Samsung has for whatever reason been holding things up.

ATIV S = Finally updated

ATIV S Neo (AT&T) = Finally updated

ATIV SE (Verizon) = Not updated but they haven't updated any of there lumia's either so you can't count them.

Neither Samsung or Sprint will say Jack **** about the update as we already know so there's no point in asking them. Will it happen this year or never is anybodies guess but since two or Sammy's WP phones have been updated recently I'd say there is hope.

Sprint slipped up and sort of admitted they are getting (maybe trying to get) the M8 as for the lumia several sources have reported it's coming but again who knows? For whatever reason Sprint wants to be secretive about it.

You are right about AT&T, they do have a wide selection and they quickly updated there line up. I've heard there are many downsides to being with AT&T, I cannot confirm any of that.

I don't know about the HTC 8XT but HTC has at least publicly stated they are working on it and Sprint has even admitted to testing it so who cares if you cannot put the DP on it at this point? As for the Neo you CAN put DP on it, sure there have been a hiccup or two but over all it hasn't hampered the phones operation at all! Soft reset OK! Hard reset NO!

Based on recent movements with Samsung's other WP's I'd say it's probably coming, some have speculated there is a problem with the CDMA phones. Since this is Sprint the maybe some day network who knows? We will just have to wait and see. I will say if I hadn't already installed the Dev Preview I'd probably wait a little longer now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pretty much what you said but you're just a lot more positive.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I answered this in another forum, but I thought everyone already knew this...HTC is updating the upgrade status of the 8XT on their upgrade status page.  Select 'Sprint' and then the 8XT, you'll see its in 'Stage 3' Test/Certification, which means its in Sprint's labs for testing and we're just waiting on their approval and to push out the update to us.

HTC USA's twitter account said the target was early December...so unless that date has slipped (ie...Sprint found bugs), we're likely to see the 8XT updated soon.

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

The 'Anatomy of an Android OS Update' map doesn't really apply, however, if you look on the right edge of the robot (click on 'View Full Process'), you'll see the 'stages' on the right edge...we're in the 'Yellow' Stage 3 step, with the final Stage 4 being, 'Push to Customer'.

So, we're close to getting it, the ball is in Sprint's court to finish validation, and start pushing the update.  (That assumes they don't find any bugs...)

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to earlier statements, the 8XT was supposed to have been updated months ago. Considering the continuous delay in updating a legacy device such as the 8XT, the apparent lack of Sprint support for their WP device offerings, and the lack of any news regarding new WP devices it is completely reasonable to assume Sprint does not care about WP. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to conclude that if you want a WP device in the future, you will have to leave Sprint. Unless this reasonably sound assumption is proven inaccurate by any official announcement from Sprint (newsroom or other), I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, I'm willing to wait and see for a bit longer since I have a nice android backup phone (HTC One M7), that said, if Sprint is truly done with WP.  We will be taking our business elsewhere.  I tipped WindowsCentral hoping they'll dig into it a bit more.

My hunch is that Sprint/HTC will upgrade the 8XT this last time, and WP will ride off into the sunset...that would explain the lack of the One for Windows, and the 735 seemingly taking forever to arrive as well.

Hopefully we'll know more concrete info soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I suspect you might be right about one update and done. Sad really. Sprint is struggling right now. I don't see how they wouldn't want to offer anything and everything in an effort to try and stay afloat. My contract is almost up. I will be leaving and taking my 5 lines with me should Sprint not offer something new and worthy in the short time left on my contract. I currently have the HTC ONe (M7), as well. It is a great device, but I want to leave Android. I have never been a fan of Apple or Blackberry. So, I am going Windows for sure. The company that gets my business will have coverage in my area and offer devices I want. Sprint doesn't seem to be that carrier anymore. Sad considering I have been with Sprint for 10+ years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I'm the kiss of death for phones...Palm Pre/Pixi (killed off), Motorola Photon (Sprint PROMISED to upgrade it to ICS...killed it) and now, possibly, WP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You bastard! Those were all good phones, too.

Highlighted
Master

StivX

We don't want you to feel this way. Sprint is working with manufacturers to provide updates for legacy Windows Mobile devices. The ATIV S Neo now has Windows Mobile 8.1 available as of 12/1/14. I know it's been a long wait for the 8XT to be updated, I understand. Hang in there.

Desiree
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, Desiree, but I have lost most all confidence in Sprint. Unfortunately, one of the reasons is your post. I'll explain. Windows Mobile is such a legacy term it doesn't apply. Microsoft hasn't called it that since before Windows Phone 7. We are on Windows Phone 8.1 now. It has been called Windows Phone for years now. Rumor is Windows 10 will simply be called Windows 10. It may even drop the RT or Phone monikers, as well. So, the fact that you called it that shows that Sprint is not educating their employees about Windows products. This is more proof that Sprint doesn't care for Windows. No employee I have talked to at any store I have gone to knows much about WP, at all. I expect they would be trained if Sprint cared even a little bit. I can go into an AT&T store and have an intelligent conversation about WP devices and the bright future of Windows 10 (due out next year. btw), but never once have I been able to with any Sprint employee to date. This makes me sad. I used your post as an example, but don't have any hard feelings toward you, personally. I hope you understand.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has it been pushed out to all ATIV S Neo owners? I'm pretty sure I haven't received any updates...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat