cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found tool to roll back ATIV S Neo, need official package

SOLVED
Journeyman

I found tool to roll back ATIV S Neo, need official package

(Factory reset and update to 2216.14.11.2 successful!)

My name is Gordon, and I'm an early adopter. It's been five months since my last use of the Developer Preview tool.

OK, with that AA / 12 Steps intro out of the way, I want to install the official firmware and software that was released this month. I'm hoping to get not just the WP8.1 OS with the proper tools included (things like network profile updating), but the new firmware for the phone to correct WiFi and Bluetooth issues. I've been on the phone with Sprint Level 1, Sprint Level 2, a local repair shop, and Samsung Level 1. At least I can say the Sprint people tried, within their power, to help. The local repair shop outright accused me of a crime, and Samsung tried to make me use Zune Tools.

That being said, I did some poking and found a software management tool specific to the SPH-I800 phone. I haven't tried using it yet, but my impression is that it works like the Lumina Tools and it can downgrade a phone from WP81 Preview to an older version. What I want is the proper Sprint-sanctioned pre-8.1 image for this phone, which would let me restore it to factory defaults. I can then apply the official update through normal channels. Or, maybe I can bypass that step and just apply the official 8.1 image directly. My settings are already backed up to OneDrive, so the phone could get wiped completely and I wouldn't lose anything.

I won't post the tool details here per forum terms. I'm not interested in doing anything more to this thing but put it where my beloved carrier wants it to be. The phone is already past warranty, and I have everything backed up, so there's no more harm that could be done.

11 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: I found tool to roll back ATIV S Neo, need official package

Hi Gordon,

I don't work for Sprint, however, the way to get the official update should work as follows. This worked for me on my 8x. Turn off preview for developers and uninstall the application from the phone. Then go into settings>phone update and check now. Make sure you are on wifi and that should prompt the ota update. With developer preview activated the device will only receive updates from Microsoft and not the carriers, which include radio fixes. Hope this helps.

Journeyman

Sorry, no. I unregistered the phone from the Preview and uninstalled the Preview app, but subsequent update checks aren't giving me any updates. Note the firmware revision number of .01.2 instead of .11.2.

wp_ss_20141216_0001.png

Journeyman

While the tool I found didn't work with its supplied drivers, I found the Samsung Kies application comes with the needed drivers to make the tool I found work! I also found a stock (2216.13.07.6) image that successfully wiped my phone and restored it to factory conditions. If you attempt this, make sure you install the non-Android driver suite as part of the Kies installation.

A Network Profile Update refresh later, and my phone identifies itself as a Sprint phone again with 4G. Everything checks out so far, though it is missing MMS settings (the "Add MMS APN" button is active in the SIM settings).

With the 2216.13.07.6 image installed, an update check produced an official update: 2216.14.01.02. The complete update took four restarts: It installed 2216.14.01.2, then it installed WP8 GDR3, and finally it installed 2216.14.11.2 which included WP8.1 GDR1. I'm now clearing the phone so I can restore from my OneDrive backup during first-time setup.

If the forum moderators would permit it, I can provide download links and instructions. The software being used is all sanctioned software from Sprint (the 2216.13.07.6 image) and Samsung (the Kies suite). It's actually pretty foolproof, and only a catastrophic power failure could negatively impact it. Even with that, it could just be restarted from the beginning.

--

Journeyman

(Since this editor doesn't like me pasting images into edited posts, this updated About screen post will have to do.)

--

wp_ss_20141216_0001.png

Journeyman

Could you please PM me the links and instructions if it's not allowed to be posted here?  I'd appreciate it. 

Master

KIDGEOCITIES,

You will have to send us a PM so that we can continue the trouble shooting steps. Thanks.

*Jazmine
Social Care
Journeyman

Gordon, please PM me the download information, and, if possible, the steps you used to solve this issue.  I have been trying to do this for days now, and I can't even get KIES to recognize my Samsung device at this point.  I will be glad to host your solution on my website, where it will be easily searchable to the rest of the internet, regardless of Sprint's willingness to help those of us afflicted in a timely fashion.

Journeyman

http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s-neo/323035-2.htm

See this thread (I link to page 2, that's where the helpful files and information start appearing).  I have not tried this yet, myself, and will try tonight.

Sprint, you've had MONTHS to get this right - you are among the slowest to rollout 8.1, you *knew* the popularity of the "developer preview" that was made publically available, and yet somehow you still managed to botch this.  I am SUPREMELY disappointed in how this is being handled and INSULTED by the fact that all we get when we call support or visit these forums is "we're trying."  Well, my phone has been unusable for three days, so unless you WANT a class action lawsuit for, you guys need to get your shit together.  I'm extremely tired of this battle.  All we want is to use our phones, but your corporate level dislike of Windows Phones has made that impossible for those of us in the public who actually choose to try and use this operating system.

Master

GordonFecyk,

We truly do apologize but we are unable to process that request, you would have to get in contact with the manufacturer. If you have anymore questions or concerns let us know.

- Shaquille

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.