cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Anyone from Sprint Reading "We Want More Windows Phones"?

Go to solution
Journeyman

I've been reading all of the postings here under the discussion "We Want More Windows Phones". Additionally there are over 2200 disappointed customers who signed a petition at http://signon.org/sign/wp7-on-sprint?source=c.url&r_by=1955143 saying the same thing..."get more WP7 phones or I will not renew my contract". Recently Sprint's VP of Product Realization, David Owens, cast doubt about Sprint's desire to support the WP7 OS. Maybe Sprint can afford to ignore a couple of thousand customers. Nevertheless I think that we early enablers deserve some response here. I'm a loyal Sprint customer but I don't plan to use an iPhone or Android phone. Other carriers are introducing many exciting 2nd generation WP7 handsets such as the Nokia Lumia 900. Can we be told what Sprint's future plans are regarding this platform so we can make other arrangements if necessary?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

I singned it now sprint please lisen.

Journeyman

There should be a bunch of new Windows Phones with high end specs coming out in conjunction with Windows Phone 8 OS launch. I truly hope that Sprint doesn't miss the boat this time around.  I realize that MS isn't currently a dominate force in the smart phone race but I really think that with version 8 and the integration between servers, clients, tablets, cloud, and phones there will be a significant uptick in their percentage of smart phone sales.  Sprint, please let us in on your plans.

Wizard

Re: Is Anyone from Sprint Reading "We Want More Windows Phones"?

Why is there a demand for these new Windows phones? What will they do that my Android or iPhone won't do? I know the Microsoft app store isn't there yet as it's lagging behind both the Android Market and Apple's store. When more Microsoft phones are sold and their demand is greater developers will start making app's for their phones. I remember the last time I had a Microsoft system on a smart phone. Hopefully they have improved as there were so many programs running in the background I would get 4 hours of battery life.

Journeyman

It's simple, at least in my case, why I would prefer a windows phone. Im psyched about windows 8 because it will use the same interface, if not the same OS, across all types of devices! kind of like what apple is even trying to do with their mac computers and iOS. hopefully i am not dissappointed, but i am expecting to get more or less the same experience, with the same type of applications, on any device. if my expectations are met, then i would prefer a transformeresque win8 tablet instead of a laptop. just thinking about it makes me feel more productive. dont get me wrong, i love android, but i think it is the windows feel to it that i like so much. and i wouldnt mind trying a larger screened iphone for its streamlined OS, but i hate how you cant really customize it. all in all i see windows 8 being the best of both worlds. plus I like the metro look, they just need more comprehensive metro integrated apps cause the you tube app on xbox sucks.

Journeyman

Clearly you have not had a chnace to try windows phone 7+. All of the phones run great and although the app store does not have 1million apps it has about every app I need. Not to mention real support and warrantied updates not like android with every device up to carrier/manufacturer. By the end of the year developer will be able to write apps/games for windows phone, windows 8, and xbox with ease as they can share most code.

MeatMan69 wrote:

Why is there a demand for these new Windows phones? What will they do that my Android or iPhone won't do? I know the Microsoft app store isn't there yet as it's lagging behind both the Android Market and Apple's store. When more Microsoft phones are sold and their demand is greater developers will start making app's for their phones. I remember the last time I had a Microsoft system on a smart phone. Hopefully they have improved as there were so many programs running in the background I would get 4 hours of battery life.

Wizard

Isn't Windows 8 going to be designed for touch screens? I thought I read if you didn't have a touch screen there was not a good reason to upgrade. I don't even use Explorer but do use Office 2010. But on my tablet and Evo 3D I am running Android with the Chrome browser without any problems. I use Xmarks to go directly to all my bookmarks across all my computers. My e-mail syncs with my phone and tablet so I don't understand what this new phone will do that is better. Maybe it will be different but it will it be better? BTW.... Love Ice Cream Sandwich!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows 8 can still be used with mouse and keyboard.  They have worked on special gestures with the trackpad, scroll mouse, etc.  What it will do better depends on you. IF you don't think it will do anything better then you're probably okay living in the Android and Google ecosystem.  Do some research on what the Microsoft ecosystem is bringing and decide for yourself if their methods are appealing to you.

Either way that doesn't diminish the voice of the people that do want moer Windows phones; me included.  Sprint, albeit understandably, hedges its bets ALOT.  I can see the logic in jumping on to the iPhone bandwagon, but the price they paid....

In any case, it's not like people are asking for a lineup of 10 Windows Phones, at the very least a total of three and I think a good amount would be happy.

Wizard

Im not on the Apple bandwagon. It was my wife who wanted an iPhone for her birthday.  I inquired last week how she liked it and she stated "I like Siri but miss my Evo". I buy every new Windows operating system. But I have always used a large monitor for my desktop. (by large I mean a 46" Samsung 120 Hz 1080p w/all the Internet options). I am not going to be touching my monitor nor will I be replacing it. Windows 8 sounds great for a notebook, not so much for a traditional desktop (with a traditional monitor). All smart phones are touch enabled so obviously I am used to that.

JR, educate me here. Give me some reasons that have you so excited about Windows phones. Other than a new name and perhaps running the same basic operating system on both desktop and phone what will it do that would make me want it? I am open minded and if I could better understand why this would be something I would need or want I would buy it. I have always considered myself geeky but again my first Windows based phone was (are you ready?) an Audiovox Window based Verizon smart phone 6 or 7 years ago and it was the worst phone I ever owned. I then went to a Palm (forgot the model), Palm 700, Plam 755p. Palm Pre (second worst phone, iPhone killer my ***), Evo 4G, Evo 3D, and the next one will be the new Android quad core I assume coming out by HTC in June.

The worst part of all of this not being addressed is that all these current phones I am talking about run on Sprint. I am extremely unhappy with the data speeds on their network. I am outraged that they would keep promoting 4G phones yet not have the infrastructure to back it up. I am upset they charged me $10 more for at first was the 4G speed (promising the network in my city but then never delivered), then the reason changed to the "ability to access the Android Market", then their policy was expanded to all smart phones which smacked of merely a money generating scenario. Sprint has literally committed and sold their soul to Apple. If they don't sell millions of Iphone's they are in "heap big trouble" all while not improving their towers quick enough. Remember all this Siri stuff requires data and data is one thing Sprint is severely lacking. Verizon, ATT, and even T-Mobile have zippy speeds in my city while Sprint crawls hanging everything on their "unlimited data plan". It's like owning a race car driving through a school zone. Pathetic!

Journeyman

I agree with you on the plans, none of the companies should have charged 4g until they actually had a market. Plus if 4g is not available what does the phone do it uses 3g so why not give the option to only use 3g and pay less. Windows 8 is not just for touch screens, yes the option is there but you don't need or have to use it. Why would you want windows 8 because it's a lot faster and more reliable then windows 7. It uses less ram so if you have a computer running windows 7 with low ram and you upgrade to windows 8, windows 8 will run better. It also wakes up and turns on faster, in new hardware in 2-6 seconds. Also windows 8 tablets will be full windows running, so you can use it as a tablet most of the day. When you need to work just take a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you can work. A beta will be available for you to try on the end of February.

Anyways this is sort off track from the main topic. I see that you have only use the older windows mobile phones. Note that the new windows phones are a different operating system not an update to the old. At the end of it all sprint get their money from a monthly payment. So why should they care what phone we use. In Mexico I can take any CDMA phone and get the company to activate it. Cricket wireless does a similar thing here in the US. The customer should get what they want because ultimately if we would go with t-mobie or Att to get the newest windows phone/android phone/webos etc.

MeatMan69 wrote:

Im not on the Apple bandwagon. It was my wife who wanted an iPhone for her birthday.  I inquired last week how she liked it and she stated "I like Siri but miss my Evo". I buy every new Windows operating system. But I have always used a large monitor for my desktop. (by large I mean a 46" Samsung 120 Hz 1080p w/all the Internet options). I am not going to be touching my monitor nor will I be replacing it. Windows 8 sounds great for a notebook, not so much for a traditional desktop (with a traditional monitor). All smart phones are touch enabled so obviously I am used to that.

JR, educate me here. Give me some reasons that have you so excited about Windows phones. Other than a new name and perhaps running the same basic operating system on both desktop and phone what will it do that would make me want it? I am open minded and if I could better understand why this would be something I would need or want I would buy it. I have always considered myself geeky but again my first Windows based phone was (are you ready?) an Audiovox Window based Verizon smart phone 6 or 7 years ago and it was the worst phone I ever owned. I then went to a Palm (forgot the model), Palm 700, Plam 755p. Palm Pre (second worst phone, iPhone killer my ***), Evo 4G, Evo 3D, and the next one will be the new Android quad core I assume coming out by HTC in June.

The worst part of all of this not being addressed is that all these current phones I am talking about run on Sprint. I am extremely unhappy with the data speeds on their network. I am outraged that they would keep promoting 4G phones yet not have the infrastructure to back it up. I am upset they charged me $10 more for at first was the 4G speed (promising the network in my city but then never delivered), then the reason changed to the "ability to access the Android Market", then their policy was expanded to all smart phones which smacked of merely a money generating scenario. Sprint has literally committed and sold their soul to Apple. If they don't sell millions of Iphone's they are in "heap big trouble" all while not improving their towers quick enough. Remember all this Siri stuff requires data and data is one thing Sprint is severely lacking. Verizon, ATT, and even T-Mobile have zippy speeds in my city while Sprint crawls hanging everything on their "unlimited data plan". It's like owning a race car driving through a school zone. Pathetic!

Wizard

Thanks for the additional information. I am running an I7 Intel processor with Win 7 and a solid state hard drive with 16GB of ram. I'm already booting and waking up quick. Frankly the only thing that slows me down is the Samsung logo (top left of screen) when my monitor wakes up.

I did make the effort to look at Microsoft's app store and most of the apps I use are there (I will hate Palm/HP forever because of what they did, rather DID NOT DO). Perhaps a hands on demo with a Windows phone would change my opinion or really lack thereof. All I can credibly say is Microsoft is most certainly arriving late in the game. If they can actually "bump it up to the next level" then I would be all for it. If this ends up being another Zune vs iTouch, well we all know how that ended.

Journeyman

Thanks for all of the discussion. Keep in mind that I am not asking Sprint to make technical judgements about competing phones but to simply let us make those decisions without leaving Sprint. I want freedom of choice. I may like The Ford Motor Company but if they don't make the car I want I need to look at GM. I love WP7 because it is visually superior and elegant but I understand that may not be everyone's priority.

I was hoping to get some response for Sprint but I guess they just don't read these discusssions on their own website.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat