cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Palm Centro the worst phone that's been made in the last 10 years?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is the Palm Centro the worst phone that's been made in the last 10 years?

I've been thinking about reactivating my old LG LX5350 but the Sprint service is the other half of the problem. Until my contract is up in June, I don't know what to do. Sprint won't let me out of my contract and my (3rd) Centro locks up if I even sneeze on it. Sprint says there's no problem, but they're famous for terrible customer service.

Can I even activate an old LG?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Is the Palm Centro the worst phone that's been made in the last 10 years?

You can always activate your old phone is long it is that gps signal and e911 compliant so um... newer than maybe 2002 or something silly like that. My sister had the centro phone she hated it too. I found a website where you can buy lots of cheap (or pricey) replacement sprint phones for when you are out of contract or not up for renewal yet. Digicircle.com I was happy with my purchase and no problem activating it. I got a Mogul ( I know, I know) but I added the sbp mobile shell and it is just soo pretty and finger friendly now. Also put that sucker on TEP!

Journeyman

Yes, the Centro is the worst phone ever.  We went through the depths of ____ with that phone until we finally just got a new phone.  Best bet if you want out of that phone so badly (and I certainly would not blame you) and are not near renewal would be to check Craigs List in or near your local area to see if anyone has an old Sprint phone they are no longer using.  I have expressed my dissatisfaction with Sprint and Palm over this junker phone.

Journeyman

I could activate an old phone, but my service area still sucks. Sprint should let me out of my contract since my house is a dead-zone, but they won't, claiming that they show I have service (yeah, just try calling me at home). Their customer service is terrible from bottom to top. I've talked with managers and wasted more time than I should have on hold.

Now, instead of sitting on hold, I'm going to spend my time bashing Sprint all over the web. I'll flip all the business I can, until I get out of this contract. I suggest everyone in here, do the same.

Journeyman

The Centro has been the only real issue we have had.  Service itself has been great, we can get a few low bar areas in my area...at least for my phone. I know others with different phones that get better signal than I do in the same location.  We just sucked it up and upgraded when we were able to to get a new phone.  So far the BB Curve has been good for my wife and she is glad to be out of the centro.  Smear campaigns really do no justice besides actually give publicity.  Can CS be better?  Sure it can...but that can be for any company, not just Sprint.  I have had my rounds with numerous CS reps who probably dont even know how to turn on a phone.  In the overall look of things...manufacturers should be ones held accountable for faulty equipment.

You get a service plan and a nice subsidized phone and the phone c raps out.  You call Sprint, sure they will replace it and whatnot.  Then you start having multiple replacements.  Sprint should at that point start communicating with the phone manufacturer to get something done.  Sprint can not guarantee any phone to work properly and the manufacturer should be the ones held accountable.  A bad experience with a brand of phone can definately leave a sour taste in the consumers mouth about the service provider.  It is a lose lose situation until (yes, I am saying it again) the manufacturer is the one held accountable for their product!

I surely will not leave Sprint due to a bad phone or getting an occasional doofus CS rep.  If I am not satisfied with the rep I am speaking with...I will bluntly ask for a level 2 rep or a supervisor.  I am still dealing with my m800 Instinct if that tells you anything, lol.

Journeyman

I have beenw ith Sprint for 10 years, obviously I am pretty happy with it. I think they have the best plans and decent devices. Maybe a little slow getting the flashier ones but they do come... If you really want out sign up for paper less billing check the coverage map find where they have no coverage change your address to somewhere in one of those zips and call again with your no coverage complaint.  I personally would just get a different phone.

Journeyman

Interesting...I have had the Centro for over 2 years, getting my one and only one when it first came out.  Still works perfectly.  I have thought about the Palm Pre and Pixi, and the HTC Hero with Android, just because I am fascinated with the newer technology.  But, after reading all the horror stories about the Pre (not too much about the Pixi), and looking at the price for the Hero, I am kinda liking my Centro more and more!  It just works!  One of the best phones I have ever had.  Just my thoughts...

Journeyman

OK...So I am new at this. This is my first post so please bare with me. LOLO We have ben "LOYAL' customers for more than 10 years.  Aside from "more than a few" BILLING ERRORS we haven't had any qualms with Sprint and their service. UNTIL....Mother's Day 2 yrs. ago (2008). I'm a gadget/techy fanatic! I love seeing & purchasing the next "Latest & Greatest" thing. My husband took my kids to pick out a new phone for me for Mother's Day. I ALWAYS upgrade my phone every 2 yrs. to get the newest available. They decided on the "original" Palm Centro 690. I was surprised and liked the phone short of the fact they chose the "pink"   vs the black. LOL

I had it maybe 2 months and here we go! One thing after another would go wrong with it. The biggest thing is it would just "FREEZE UP" or "RESTART" itself without notice.Then there was the problem with the memory card. Purchased the correct card had no problems then I suddenly when I would turn my phone on I would have an error message something to the effect "could not read card due to application..yadda...yadda...yadda"!

I'm already past due for my "Upgrade" but given the fact this phone has had so many issues and then only to see so many of the appilcation's in the Digital lounge are "NO LONGER AVAIABLE" for my model phone is frustrating!!!

I had decided that I would move away from Palm altogether and get a Blackberry. So I went to PC Mag and a few other popular sites to read up on the latest phones and ratings. Then I recently read an article online talking about all the problems that Blackberry seems to be having!

Whatever happened to "quality" of a product? All these companies seem more focused on producing "The Latest Thing" before the other that they seem to be loosing sight of the fact that they are not doing NEAR ENOUGH QUALITY CONTROL!!!

I apologize for the ongoing rambling Truthfully I only wanted to see what others who have the same phone as I, have been experiencing and I sorta took it to the "venting" stage!

I'm also curious as to everyone's opinion on what the next best phone would be to upgrade.

~THANKS~

Journeyman

I've had my Blackberry through Verizon for a couple months, now. At first, I wasn't sure I made the right decision as the Blackberry does't have a few features my Centro had. But, once I discovered what the BB can do, I knew I made the right call. The BB is also much tougher (I've already dropped it a couple times that would have reset my Centro). There's much more support for the BB and my cell coverage is better. My only concern is the un-removable track-ball. I've read that there's no fix, if it has trouble, other than replacing the phone.

So far, I'm very happy with my new setup.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat