cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep the ball rolling with GDR3... (General Distribution Release 3)

Journeyman

Keep the ball rolling with GDR3... (General Distribution Release 3)

So as we all are well aware, Sprint has had two Windows Phone 8 devices available since summer. The HTC 8XT (released mid July) and the Samsung ATIV S Neo (released mid August). Both phones were released preloaded with Windows Phone 8 GDR2 (OS version 8.0.10328.78). Over the past couple of months, other pre-existing Windows Phones on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile received GDR2 (the final release being today on AT&T with the Lumia 820/920 finally getting GDR2). However, enough with the backstory.

Now, my reason for this post. No word has officially been announced by Microsoft as to when GDR3 will be released. Realistically, it is up to the individual carriers to release the updates for their phones, not Microsoft (UNFORTUNATELY). With the upcoming rumored device launches of the Lumia 1520 on AT&T, the Lumia 929 on Verizon and an HTC One-like phone with Windows Phone coming in November... these devices are expected to have GDR3 preloaded upon their releases.

My hope is that Sprint, having two recently-released Windows Phones will keep up strong support for those phones and release GDR3 in a timely manner after it's available to them and having done testing, etc. Having been a former HTC Arrive owner, seeing ZERO support for my phone after the Windows Phone 7.5 Mango update was a real let-down.

Now, some of you may be wondering what's the big deal with GDR3? Why is it an anticipated update? In short, it will be bringing a LOT of features to Windows Phone that a lot of people have wanted for a long time. According to an unofficial changelog provided by WPCentral.com, here are some features expected in GDR3 -

Support for 1080p display for new devices like the Lumia 1520. 

• Support for new processors.
  • 3 medium or 6 small tiles on a row for phones with screen resolution of at least WXGA (1280 x 768) including Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020 and of course the Lumia 1520. (DOES NOT APPLY TO 8XT OR ATIV S NEO USERS, since we have only 480p and 720p resolution screens, respectively)
  • Close apps by tapping on the X on top right in multitasking view. The icon of the app appears below.
  • Custom sounds for text or IM, voicemail, email and reminders.
  • Screen Rotation lock: When auto-rotate screen is off, your screen will stay in the current orientation when you rotate your phone.
  • Driving Mode: Turns of all notifications except texts and phone calls when you're driving. You can also turn calls and texts off completely or set Driving Mode to text and automatic reply like "Hey, I am driving right now. I'll reply you later." Driving Mode can start automatically when your phone connects to a Bluetooth device.
  • Connect to Wi-Fi in out of box experience when switching on your new phone for the first time or after you your reset your phone, so you can restore your data even before connecting to a cellular network.
  • Attach Office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and .pdf files in email.

You can read their full article here with some screenshots (Bittersweet Shimmer is a Nokia Lumia-only software package, does not apply to us either) - http://www.wpcentral.com/changelog-gdr3-windows-phone-8-bittersweet-shimmer

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Keep the ball rolling with GDR3... (General Distribution Release 3)

I'm sincerely hoping that we who actually stuck with Sprint and got their WP8 devices get GDR3/Update 3. Other than coming out with a 3rd device option with better, more modern specs (Nokia, anyone?), pushing Update 3 to their existing Windows Phones is one of the best ways that Sprint can show they're even slightly serious about the platform now. Ignore the fact that we already have mid-tier devices and there's been close to no marketing/advertising for them.

We need Sprint's reassurance - we need GDR3, and well, while I'm at it, we need a 3rd, newer device to show continued support and confidence in the platform.

Journeyman

Apparently GDR3 is being pushed out now to the HTC 8XT.  We'll see how long until the Samsung gets it.

Journeyman

I've got an update ready on mine tonight.

The update screen says:

Your update is ready to be installed.

You won't be able to use your phone while the update installs. This should take 5 to 10 minutes, but could take longer.

Microsoft Update 8.0.10328.78;

Microsoft Update 8.0.10501.127;

HTC Update for Windows Phone.

Microsoft Update 8.0.10492.116;

Journeyman

After updating I have the following versions on my HTC 8xt

OS Version 8.0.10501.127

Firmware revision number: 3030.00.21501.651

Radio software version: 0.40.50.0830

Journeyman

Come on Sprint, when will this come out for the Samsung?

Journeyman

Bump.

I've been waiting and waiting for GDR3, fruitlessly checking for updates having been given no information on when the ATIV S Neo will be getting it.

Sadly, waiting and lack of information have been common themes in my experience with Sprint:

* First, for Sprint to catch up to all other carriers in offering Windows Phone 8 devices at all

* From the botched launch of the ATIV S Neo until the eventual realisation (customer service was clueless) that the Neo was initially offered via only the direct ship channel rather than in stores (stores were also clueless, mistakenly expecting shipments of the phone "soon")

* For the network and signal strength upgrades near my office that were promised in November, about which I have yet to hear a word

* And now, for the GDR3 update that the HTC 8XT received in October but has been sorely missing from the ATIV S Neo

Journeyman

I try not to pay much attention to these things so I won't be upset or anxious but I have been seeing a lot of buzz about this update so I cannot help but wonder, when is it gonna happen? From what I can tell it hasn't come to all WP phones yet so I can't really blame anybody but I do think it's a bit strange.

Master

Thanks for hanging in there DIALM4SPEED

Please know you can always keep up to date about announcements at www.sprint.com/newsroom

Thank you,

Krishel

Social Care

Master

Nebuchadn3zzar,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns. We know that waiting for upgrades is hard. Unfortunately the updates are not created by Sprint, they are developed and released to us by the manufacturer. As soon as the update has been released to us we will begin sending it out to the phones. You can always watch for updates at www.sprint.com/newsroom.

Thank you

*Stephanie

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Just saw this...  http://wmpoweruser.com/sprint-samsung-ativ-s-neo-gets-gdr3-update/

Nothing on sprint.com/newsroom so who knows.

02/07/2014 ***UPDATE***

Don't know what they update was for but it didn't have any of the GDR3 stuff they listed.

Master

mikesingh101,

We completely understand having access to the latest devices and software is important.  As a Windows user and fan myself I too am waiting for this update and new models.  When it comes to software updates there are a large number of factors that come into play and Sprint has very minimum influence in this since we don't develop or design these updates.  The only factor we play is ensuring the update is compatible with CDMA and/or LTE network for Sprint.  Keep an eye on the link both Krishel and Stephanie provided for upcoming release dates and software announcements.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat