cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950XL

GrandMaster

Re: Lumia 950XL

didnt you already compare the bands it will use compared to the bands Sprint uses? if im remembering right you mentioned it can use WCDMA but not CDMA.

at least i think it was you that posted the bands.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a chat too with MS, they said they had no idea if it would work or not until the phone was released.  Most likely depends on who you talk too.

I assume they will support Sprint and Verizon at some point in time but it could be anywhere from when the phone is released to years later.  I for one am of the opinion that the whole process sucks and shows bad customer relationship handling on both the parts of Sprint and Microsoft.

Journeyman

It appears Microsoft has made the only decision it can reasonably make here.

As we all know, in the past Sprint and Verizon have provided the poorest support imaginable for Windows phones, including delaying their release, refusing to release software updates and patches in any sort of a timely manner, and refusing to make any appreciable effort to market Microsoft's products in their stores. Truth be told, refusing to market them does not really fully describe the situation, as both Sprint and Verizon have - in stores across the country - actively discouraged customers from considering a Windows phone when customers have come in asking for and looking for just that.

How can you trust a vendor that has proactively sabotaged your product line in recent years? Would you want such a vendor selling a new product that you designed and manufactured that you were trying to market and sell? I don't think so.

For this new line of products to have ANY chance to succeed, updates have to go routinely and without delay. Also, Microsoft needs to be able to design its phones for maximum market desirability and acceptance, without being required to leave out important components, such as dual sim, that companies like Verizon and Sprint want to insist not be included, to the detriment of the customer and the sales of the product. Additionally, enabling the vendors to edit and append the operating system, "customizing" it to make these phones only usable on their own network, further undermines Microsoft's efforts.

Microsoft is making the smart move here, regardless of what their sales for this line of products turns out to be. At least this way, they can put out a first rate product (to the best of their ability) and build their brand reputation and their marketing success around that, rather than have it sabotaged and undermined at every turn by vendors like Verizon and Sprint, who have been untrustworthy and even hostile partners for Microsoft in recent years.

Journeyman

Well said been with sprint since late 90s . Every time I go into a sprint store the reps try to get me off of windows. I am just waiting till November for the 950s to come out and finally moving to AT&T. Never thought I would go to them but no choice I am tired of how this OS is treated by them. I own over 2000shares of sprint that's because I believed in them now I do not.

Journeyman

WCDMA and CDMA are different so I've been told but check this out. Best explanation I've read so far.

" It goes beyond VZW customer service reps. I was contacted by Verizon directly after making a stink in a back and forth on Twitter. I was put in touch with a management level VZW person, not straight customer service. And I know they were management because I verified the name with my friend who works as a corporate sales executive for VZW. This was someone that would be in the know. As for Paul, he has stated that he was told the 950 and 950XL would be universal unlocked phones that would work on Verizon. He was just told that Microsoft was done with Verizon as a sales partner. He has guessed that problems activating is why Microsoft has blocked the CDMA bands, but he said he was told in July by a fairly high up and reliable Microsoft source that the phones would be available universal unlocked. He also said that MS has no intention of letting anyone buy them FROM Verizon, but that doesn't mean that they can't sell it unlocked. I was told they want to ensure functionality on Verizon before ever selling them to work on the network. They need to be sure Verizon adds the IMEI first and they need manufactured phones to do it. That came from someone in the Lumia team itself. I've listened to Paul quite a bit on this and he stated plainly that what he was originally told indicated the phones were built to work on CDMA. Other also informed him that the 808 and 810 have universal radios as it is, so it would have to be firmware blocked (this has been confirmed by ArsTechnica). I was told by BOTH Verizon and Microsoft (and also told by someone at ArsTechnica) that Verizon has NO CHOICE but to activate an unlocked phone IF it has been certified by an approved third party tester. Microsoft does not want the CDMA bands unlocked UNTIL that certification happens and Verizon has no choice but to list the 950 and 950XL or face a FCC complaint and possible fine. This fits the fact of the FCC deal on LTE Verizon is part of. It also fits as to why Microsoft would not initially roll out CDMA. I don't think it will launch CDMA, but I could see them unlock those bands and sell the phone CDMA unlocked less than a month after launch. If they get it certified by a third party, Verizon has no choice. But why sell the phones and let customers have to wait until Verizon clears it instead of just getting the testing done and letting users know this is coming later. I think we'll hear more about this closer to the actual launch date in a month or so."

GrandMaster

that will be interesting to see no matter the results lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Quite honestly, there's a lot of claimed 'insider knowledge' in your quoted response.  Paul T's statements and article were not quite the rosy picture that was quoted.  Its pretty clear, especially based on Paul's article that VZ and Sprint are persona non-grata with MS at this point.  Sprint has had a total of 1...1 Lumia phone, and a low spec one at that. 

It really doesn't matter what Vz does, we care about Sprint...and the fact is that Sprint signed a huge contract with Apple and that has them over a barrel, made even more clear by the $300 dollar markup on the new HTC One A9...$300!  Its a ridiculous price for a mid-range phone...$399 from HTC directly, $696 from Sprint...and...you can't buy the A9 for Sprint from HTC...we're the only ones.

At the end of the day, we're locked in solitary, the only option is to leave.  Sprint can't invest in Windows...it risks their sales obligations with Apple, even if they only sell a few Windows phones. 

Regardless...I've got 5 lines, 3 of them are clear of their contracts...2 more months and the 4th will be, then we're out of here.  The other thing you have to consider is that now that Verizon has raised their old unlimited data plans by $20...Sprint will soon follow suit...and that (I believe) will lead to an exodus for legacy unlimited everything plan holders like me for MNVO's on GSM (Cricket, Straight Talk, etc). 

So, I'll wait and continue to use my 8XT.  Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and MS will save us with the Insider Program.

Journeyman

Even though I find it odd and somewhat frustrating that nobody is including the maybe someday network in all this speculation it is important what happens with Verizon since both are CDMA. So if MS can deliver an unlocked CDMA then we're in business at least that 's the way I look at it. The overall point I'm trying to make is we should not be hasty, these phones aren't even out yet so who knows what will happen. While we know sprint won't say much they do have a history with WP. When WP8 came out they said they wouldn't bother with it and yet they offered 3 devices and updated them. For me I will just wait and see how it plays out for now, my Neo still works fine but the door is still open if I need to make a move.

Journeyman

We're both thinking the same thing.  I'll get through the holidays then decide where I go from there.  The Blu Win HD LTE would be a cheap option as a BYO on an MVNO as well.  Regardless, yeah, the waiting game continues.

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint since 1999. That is 16 years, if I am calculating correctly.

After spending a good bit of time researching phones, including the Lumia 950 XL, I just purchased a Nokia Lumia 640 Windows Phone (AT&T Go Phone) at Best Buy about an hour ago for $59. That is great deal. I had to get a new phone right now because my other one just broke for good. I will look at the 950 XL again in the spring or summer and maybe I will get one then.

I am in the process of switching my service to Cricket (owned by AT&T and using its network). For $35 a month (including tax), I will get 2.5 GB of data and unlimited talk and text.

I really tried hard to stay with Sprint and I have documented those efforts to some degree here in this forum. I wanted a Windows phone and a carrier that would support it. I have waited long enough. I'm out.

Journeyman

I just came here to see if I could find anything on this and found this. Sprint has been collecting my money for over 15 years. WP being better or worse than the competing operating systems is irrelevant. And if sprint is bent over a barrel because of contracts with an OS that doesn't concern me. That sucks, but, they made the decision. I want a 950. Will it be good? Maybe. Maybe not. The point is I pay money for this. If I can pay another company roughly the same amount to get what I want, then I see no point in staying. I'll kick it until they say officially one way or the other. Or leave when I can get it at discount from AT&T.

Journeyman

I have been a customer with Sprint since the late 90's, so close to 20 years now. I have never had a problem with them until I wanted to switch to the ATIV S Neo.  I have fully experienced this "active" discouragement from Sprint sales reps toward the Windows Phone.  When I tried the purchase it, and specifically asked for it, the sales rep took 25 minutes trying to convince me that the phone didn't exist and tried to put me in an Android, until I showed her the phone on Sprint's website. 

Later, I purchased, and currently still own, the Microsoft Lumia 635.  Sprint first activated the phone as a 3G phone and told me that the phone was not 4G, and recommended that I get an iPhone.  Once I went to Microsoft's website, in store, and proved that the phone was indeed Spark LTE 4G, they told me that the phone was broken.  I got a replacement phone directly from the Microsoft store.  They again activated it in 3G again and told me that the phone didn't accept Spark and recommended that I get a Samsung.  I showed him that his own floor model Lumia 635, which I had to plug up and turn on, was indeed displaying Spark.

Right now it's finally in LTE 4G.  I just gave up trying to get them to get it working on Spark, because I got tired of them relentlessly trying to switch me from my WP.  So, I am really hoping they get this issue ironed out with the 950/950XL phones.  Microsoft confirms that the phones universal antenna will accept Sprint.  Now we just have to wait and see what Sprint does.  Hopefully they don't follow past practices and actively try to sabotage the user experience if they choose to buy a Windows Phone.

I just got off the phone with Sprint customer service there seems to be some truth to this situation with Apple the prohibits them from actively marketing Windows devices.  After years of loyalty, I think this is one of the few times I have thought about leaving.  I just really didn't want to give up my grandfather plan that I have had for years.  However, I want this Lumia 950 so bad that I have been researching ATT.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat