cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950XL

Journeyman

Re: Lumia 950XL

"Microsoft confirms that the phones universal antenna will accept Sprint." 

Say what???? When did this happen???  Maybe you could buy an unlocked one and just have Sprint activate it?

Journeyman

Microsoft has physically built all of the necessary antennas into the phone. They have chosen not to enable them for Verizon and Sprint because they do not want their mobile brand undermined by vendors who will not properly service and support it.

If the relationship between Sprint and Microsoft is ever sufficiently repaired to cause Microsoft to trust Sprint again to be a vendor of its mobile phones going forward, Microsoft can active the necessary antennas quickly and easily with a software upload.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen though.

Journeyman

I can see MS disabling the antennas if as some have said it would coast them money.  Basically pay royalties on every phone just for the few phones that Sprint sold.  But disabling the antenna just because of bad blood between them and Sprint, no...  If an unlocked phone works with Sprint and it does not per say cost MS extra then they will allow it, simple marketing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok spent some time talking to Sprint & Microsoft... very annoying but interesting results.

Sprint says that my current phone:

Chris B.: Your phone Samsung Ativ S Neo is supporting Band 2 / 4 / 5 / 17 WCDMA 1 / 2 / 5 GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Microsoft says the Lumia 950XL supports

WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8

(900MHz)

Seems the same to me so in concept we should be able to buy an unlocked phone and it should work....

The guy from Sprint did suggest getting the phone, contacting them, and giving them the ESN.  It seems with the ESN they can check.  I was wonder if maybe we can go to the Microsoft store and use an ESN from one of their demo models to check?  No stores near me but maybe over the holiday I can get near one, if anybody else can they could report back

Oh well I am hoping again....

GrandMaster

the only one it would be able to use is the 1900mhz...problem is Sprint isnt WCDMA..its CDMA.

ask them which CDMA/LTE bands/mhz it can use.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Below is the complete list for the 950XL per Microsoft and below that is the list from the Samsung site for the ATIV S. 

So based on your statement.  Sprint does not support WCDMA and the LTE is the wrong band.  As far as I know Sprint does not support GSM so that is out.  So I guess my afternoon of hope has been dashed

Stephen S: at 10:22:17 @ Microsoft:

GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz

GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps

GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps

WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)

WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)

WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)

LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)

TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)

LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)

LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

Ativ S from the Samsung site:

LTE: Band 25 (1900 MHz);

CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/850/1900MHz; HSPA+/UMTS: 1900/2100MHz;

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz    

Journeyman

"The guy from Sprint did suggest getting the phone, contacting them, and giving them the ESN.  It seems with the ESN they can check.  I was wonder if maybe we can go to the Microsoft store and use an ESN from one of their demo models to check?"

Easy enough BUT is that demo's ESN gonna be the same as a retail version ESN???  And where do you locate it?

Journeyman

I believe the ESN/IMEI/MEID are all basically the same thing.  On a windows phone you press settings->about->more information.  The other way is to remove the battery and it is written there.

Journeyman

So has anyone done this yet?

I just chatted with a Microsoft rep, and he assured me 950 unlocked phone would work with Sprint. he also said there was a 30 day return policy if the phone did not work.

Journeyman

I have also been with Sprint since the 1990s and have not been able to confirm that the Lumia 950 or 950XL will work on the Sprint network. The WCDMA vsCDMA information suggests that it is not; however some here haveindicated they have spoken to authoritative persons who say that the new phones CAN be activated on the Sprint network. Can you buy the 950 unlocked or just the 950XL?

I suppose I could try it and return it, but I really want to be armed with the knowledge because I know the Sprint reps I have worked with do try to discourage anything outside of their envelope. So I want to be able to tell them that it will work if I get any [inappropriate word removed] over it. Is there something authoritative that I can point to?

I've been scouring the web to tryto find something definitive. This thread has given me the most hope that I won't have to leave Sprint after like 17 years of being a customer, but I have been seriously considering AT&T if I have to in order to get this phone. I really don't want to go to AT&T but I will.

This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.
Message was edited by: TheModerator

Journeyman

Done took three lines to att have one on contract with sprint once that is over moving that one. This lumia 950 xl is beautiful. My wife a long long time android fan moved to windows phone yesterday LOL> Happy happy joy joy. No more Samsung ativ neo for me.

Journeyman

Hello all.  I have a bit of new information.  This morning I called Microsoft and asked could the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL be activated on Sprint's network.  They told me yes, but I would have to contact Sprint and ask them to carry it. I then called Sprint and asked if I bought the Lumia 950 or the Lumia 950XL directly from Microsoft would they activate it and they told me yes.  I asked the rep was she sure and she said absolutely.

I then asked if Sprint carried the phone for purchase and she transferred me to sales.  Sales told me that the only Microsoft device they carried was the Lumia 635.  I asked the sales rep, just to double check, if I purchased the Lumia 950 or 950XL directly from Microsoft would I be able to activate it on Sprint and he told me yes. So, looks like the phone is a go, but you have to buy it unlocked.

I personally do not mind because my last question affirmed that I would be able to keep my grandfather plan.  I hope this helps everyone.  I will update you all if I run into any other issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat