cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950XL

Journeyman

Re: Lumia 950XL

I'm curious how Sprint thinks they can activate a phone that doesn't have the CDMA bands enabled that they need to do the activation?  Will LTE work?  Probably, will any kind of roaming work?  Nope.  I seriously doubt you'll have anything but 4G LTE, and a phone that can't be activated.

Good luck, everyone's waiting for someone to be the guinea pig, so thanks for taking the plunge.  Its pretty clear from Thurott, WinCentral and every other reputable site that it won't work...but please prove us all wrong.

Journeyman

Just left sprint store with my Lumia 950 xl. They can not activate it. Store manager tried with the help of a phone tech.

Journeyman

That was very dishonest of Sprint to tell me that the phones could be activated.  I didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. 

Journeyman

I'm pretty sure that there's a reason Sprint phones have the 'activiate my phone' app...its their custom activation app for using CDMA to register the phone on their network...without the CDMA bands enabled, I truly believe that its not technically possible to get the 950 (XL) on Sprint.

MS was pretty clear that they're only supporting networks that supported them...and that isn't Sprint.  (Which is sad for us as a small but loyal user base.)

Journeyman

You had an AT&T 950XL didn't you? The one in question is an unlocked/unbranded 950XL. I'd give it a go but due to some unexpected vet bills I'm broke.

Journeyman

"'activiate my phone' app..." I've seen this but have no idea what it's supposed to do, I don't think I've ever used it. I'm curious what exactly do you mean when you say MS is only supporting networks that supported them??

Journeyman

Microsoft states that the Lumia 950 supports the following CDMA and LTE networks:
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)
TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6) LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

Are  none of these compatible with Sprint 3G & 4G service?

Journeyman

There not the same.  The bottom line is until somebody gets an unlocked/unbranded 950 and heads over to the nearest Sprint store we just won't know.

Journeyman

Did that already

Journeyman

I know you said you worked with the store manager. I've had bad luck with any of the Sprint stores and the reps there.

I've always had to call into sprint support myself for a phone swap. I could not get the store to do a swap on a lumia 635 to another 635. seems pretty basic. Do you still have the 950 and have you tried to call in directly to support for a swap? They seem to be much more knowledgeable than the store reps.

food for thought...

Journeyman

I have the 950 xl I was in the store with the rep and he was on the phone with sprint tech to try and hook it up. Passing the phone back and forth to me and the rep. My only thing that I did notice is that sprint uses I micro sim card to not activate the phone but to store your id to that phone. They did not insert a sim card into my phone. But any how they punched in a punch of numbers from phone, phone tech gave rep some numbers to dail into my phone and  nothing worked. I love sprint there service is amazing to me . I have been with them for more then 20 years now. They just dont seem to understand its not about what they want its the customer that comes first. So what windows has little phone share if a customer wants it that should be up to the customer not sprint. special made phones for each carrier is dumb and dated get with the program sprint you are falling behind faster and faster every year in customer base.

GrandMaster

if the phone cant handle the network its trying to be put on there isnt much anyone can do with that though.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat