cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mogul an upgrade to Instinct?

Patron

Mogul an upgrade to Instinct?

I currently have a Samsung Instinct and am wanting to try out a Windows Mobile phone, for kicks. Well the Diamond and the HTC Touch are a little out of the non contract (ebay) price range for me but a Mogul is a little closer. Would it be, according to those who know, an upgrade from the Instinct.

Let me follow up with this, I dont have a severe problem with the instinct per se, but would like to try something with alot more third party backing (i.e. Windows Mobile). The Mogul has the keyboard and the touch screen and seems to have a decent programer following as well as most people seem to enjoy the phone.

What would be the draw backs to making a switch (not that I wouldnt be able to switch back) but what would I be missing out on? Is it worth the scratch?

12 REPLIES 12
Master

Re: Mogul an upgrade to Instinct?

I loved my Mogul, still have it actually its sitting right here.

The main downside to the Mogul is the lack of RAM that it has, it was designed in a Windows Mobile 5 era, and was upgraded to 6 at the last minute, and now 6.1 even. If you can deal with a little slowness and only having a couple programs open at the same time it is a great device. There is a huge community behind the Mogul as well over at places like xda-developers and ppcgeeks, so there really isn't a shortage of help on the internet if you have any issues.

I would not call it an upgrade per se since you will be getting probably a slower device, but at the same time you are getting a full keyboard and a huge 3rd party backing on the WinMo OS.

How much were you looking at getting the device for?

Patron

@halcyoncmdr wrote:
I loved my Mogul, still have it actually its sitting right here.

The main downside to the Mogul is the lack of RAM that it has, it was designed in a Windows Mobile 5 era, and was upgraded to 6 at the last minute, and now 6.1 even. If you can deal with a little slowness and only having a couple programs open at the same time it is a great device. There is a huge community behind the Mogul as well over at places like xda-developers and ppcgeeks, so there really isn't a shortage of help on the internet if you have any issues.

I would not call it an upgrade per se since you will be getting probably a slower device, but at the same time you are getting a full keyboard and a huge 3rd party backing on the WinMo OS.

How much were you looking at getting the device for?

Its really looking like 200-300... use varies. Found one for 200 on ebay unopened and didnt pull the trigger soon enough. Kicking myself on that.
The price is a little steep considering I paid 129 for this phone...
The deal is this is my first "fancy" phone. I am wanting to see what I might have missed out on. The fact that the program CAN run apps in the background is a big upside to the Instinct. I did my research and didnt pick up on the low RAM.

Message Edited by KSoze on 12-30-2008 05:00 PM

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Mogul is a better data device.  Corporate email, app support etc.

The Instinct is a MUCH better phone / media / music / video / camera / everything else device.

The Touch Diamond and Touch Pro on the other hand, give the Instinct a run for it's money in the user friendly department.

If you can find a Mogul on the cheap, it'd be worth a try.  But I don't think I'd spend too much money for one unless you need to do a lot of corporate (exchange) email and calendaring.

Save your pennies for a Touch Diamond or Touch Pro.  

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I love my older firmware Mogul, it allows free PAM (no plan required) as there is a bug in the Internet Sharing app. I read that in the newer firmware that this was fixed. Mind you I don't use PAM all the time, but it is nice to use every so often.

In addition, I don't believe the Instinct has WiFi or does it? Whereas the Mogul has WiFi and comes in handy when you want really fast access to data. There are also ways to turn your phone into a WiFi router too. I think there is a free version of this online someplace that I got at one point.

I also just posted this on the call for stories, but I even put a full length movie on my Mogul, can you do this with Instinct? (I doubt it).

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Instinct is the worst Sprint phone I've ever owned, so I'm a little biased.(Although I have owned pretty much ALL sprint phones at one point or another!)

Having said that, even the aging Mogul takes out the Instinct by a long shot, IMO. You want third party support it's there. There are thousands upon thousands of apps and games for windows mobile (both free and paid) available RIGHT NOW. You'll never find this kindof support on the Instinct. Even Sprint themselves don't want to support the Instinct, let alone third parties. (Anyone remember the Instinct developer contest and where that went to?)

I've bought games and apps for as far back as windows mobile 2003 and not suprisingly, with windows mobile 6.1 all my games and apps have carried over just fine with no compatiblity issues. That's one of the big benefits of using windows mobile, the games and apps you buy carry right over to the next version of windows mobile.

Everything the Instinct doesn't have - you can get on windows mobile. The Instinct doesn't have instant messaging (no, really, it doesn't!) the Mogul does - out of the box and tons of third party (free and paid) options. The Instinct has a half baked, unsupported web browser. The Mogul's browser is only a little better but there are plenty of free third party options that'll give you a 500x better browsing experience - Opera Mobile 8.65 and 9.5, Netfront, Skyfire, and Iris, to name a few.

The Instinct doesn't let you save any games or apps to your memory card. (Though with the lack of 3rd party support for the Instinct I guess you'll have a hard time filling up the internal memory anyway!) With the Mogul, it's your choice. Save it to your storage card or internally. This way, you can download tons and tons of games, apps, music and movies on your Mogul that you'd never be able to do on your Instinct.

Movie support.. windows mobile hands down. You can't play movies like WMV and DIVX on your Instinct. You can on windows mobile. Likewise, there are plenty of third party video players available for WM as well. Things you'll never find on the Instinct.

And with the latest official ROM update you have GPS and Sprint TV. I can't imagine anyone wanting to choose the unsupported, underpowered, severly lacking Instinct over a Mogul or any other windows mobile device. Obviously if you can afford it, the Touch Pro is a big upgrade over the Mogul, but if you're getting it cheap as others mentioned, then by all means go for it.. I've given the Instinct two chances (bought it twice) and find myself feeling ripped off every time I get my "Everything" bill when in fact, you can't use "everything" on it. At least with windows mobile, you can pretty much do everything and the cost is a little more justified.

Patron

Appreciate everyone's advice/opinions. Will continue to try and find that deal on this phone.

Patron

Picking up a New Mogul for $200 tomorrow. So will be bothering the WinMo crowd now.

Journeyman

@KSoze wrote:
Picking up a New Mogul for $200 tomorrow. So will be bothering the WinMo crowd now.

I can't believe they are still selling for that much. Hope it does what you want it to do. Good luck.

Journeyman

Maybe someone can clarify this one for me, since I am a BB user but browse all the boards.

Does the Instinct feature Rev. A? Didn't the Mogul have a firmware update that enabled Rev. A on it?

Journeyman

@MontanaXVI wrote:

Maybe someone can clarify this one for me, since I am a BB user but browse all the boards.

Does the Instinct feature Rev. A? Didn't the Mogul have a firmware update that enabled Rev. A on it?

Yes there is a ROM upgrade for the Mogul that gave it GPS, EVDO REV A. An add-on app for MMS Picture Mail and then a new ROM upgrade that disabled a bug for free PAM and added Sprint TV app (which I believe would give you Sprint Radio too). That latest ROM I believe should also include MMS Picture Mail, but I am not sure. My Mogul has the ROM with GPS and EVDO REV A, then I added the app for MMS Picture Mail.

As for the Instinct, I have no clue. I could care less about that phone once they required the Simply Everything plans I have not paid any attention to that device.

Master

Yes, the Instinct has EvDO Rev. A.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat