cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Ok, so my family and I have been Sprint customers literally forever and I love the fact that the company has the best value for your money than any other carrier out there. However, and this is a huge "however," this whole thing with Windows Phone 8 is beginning to confuse me. Why is it taking so long to get some sort of information about the phones Sprint will be offering and when they will be offering them? It seems interesting to me that the company comes out and says that it is "bullish" about the new operating system, and yet here we are, nearly 6 months after its release and still no confirmation on when the HTC and Samsung phones are going to be released. I have and HTC Evo: worst phone ever made for someone like me who uses his phone constantly and who drops phones just as frequently (first day I got it, I dropped it). Fast forward 3 years and here we are. I'm sick of Apple (have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, definatly not liking how expensive this company's devices are to own) and Android is no different than Apple only they have a much larger phone ecosystem yet the quality of said phones really only lasts the life of the contract (if you're extremely lucky). Suffice to say when I heard the news about Windows Phone 8 coming to Sprint, I was literally jumping up and down until I got to the caveat: the vague language surrounding the release date. A device arriving sometime by summer could mean anything, but I decided to wait, patiently crossing my fingers that Sprint wouldn't let me down. Fast forward to now, and still nothing.

With all of this being said, I'm making a request of the company to give me some answers. Why is this taking so long? When will I get a concrete release date? When will I actually get a glympse of these new phones? I love how a company that is "bullish" about the Windows Phone 8 OS has been able to release 2 new phones (the One X and the S4) within weeks of their being announced to the public and yet are still unable to give me an actual time frame in which your Windows Phone 8 devices are going to be available for purchase. It baffles me how little information is out there about these Windows phones your company plans to release by some unknown date and how much is out there about the One X and S4 which have OSs that already permeate your store. Please, it would be nice to get some information about this and I think that it will certainly help your public image more than you know because reading a lot of these community posts, people are not too happy about this whole issue and something tells me that the problem is with a lack of communication from your end. It is worrisome when a website like The Verge is telling me that your company is going to be giving me low-to-mid range phones like the Ativ and the Tiara. Is it true? Can someone confirm or deny this information, because it seems a little ridiculous that we wait so long and all you can come up with is two phones that are not all that more advanced than phones released 6 months ago.

If the company does not come through for me, then I am going to reach out to the community: what do you think about this whole situation and do you think that AT & T, Verizon, or T-Mobile are better choices for people that want this particular operating system? Because let's face it, to be perfectly honest, Sprint needs to understand the idea of what happens in a market economy: the consumer talks and if you can't give the consumer what it wants, you lose business and you lose money. And I can bet that anyone looking for a Windows Phone 8 device is certainly not looking for the Ativ or an HTC device that has a subpar screen resolution. Just a thought. My phone is on its last leg: the screen is cracked quite extensively, the plastic body has more than its share of battle scars, and my contract has been up for a whole year, so I have nothing to lose by switching carriers at the drop of a hat besides the peace-of-mind I get from having unlimited data (even though half the time the connection is poor and I only use about 2 GB in a good month, much more on wi-fi but that's free anyway). $20 more a month will not bother me when I'm carrying the satisfyingly high quality "Incredible Hulk" of phones in my hands.

Just a few thoughts, everyone. Maybe I'm just  a materialistic Millennial. Who knows...

Thank you!

188 REPLIES 188
Journeyman

Re: My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

I feel you man.

I've been waiting on news about Windows Phone 8 on Sprint for so long now that my patience is starting to wear thin, just a bit.

Journeyman

I'm with ya. I'm still sporting a WinMo 6.5 HTC Touch Pro, that's been on its last leg since a year ago. 12 year multi-line customer, I've been holding out for a top end WP8 device. I decided to hold on even longer when Sprint announced that they would ahve WP8 devices in Spring, then Summer 2013. Only to be incredibly disappointed -- again! -- when they announced the Ativ and some mid-low end HTC. Just last week, T-Mob announced a very reasonable unlimited data plan. I think soon other carriers will follow. And really, Sprint's data service is pretty mediocre, and the ultra-slow rollout of LTE is quite telling that this "technology" company is still tightly clutching yesteryear's technology.

I haven't made a decision yet on which company I'm jumping to yet, but mine and my wife's phones are desperately in need of replacement and the vacuum of noise (still!) coming from Sprint about where/what/when they will be releasing just pisses me off even more! Yep. After 12 years, I'm done with Sprint!

Journeyman

I agree with you on the pricing. With what T-Mobile has done, the chances that AT&T and Verizon will follow suit, or at least recalculating their data to price ratio, are extremely high. In that case, the incentive to stay with Sprint because it "has the best value" significantly decreases.

Journeyman

The same goes for me as well.  I am 12 year multi-line customer of Sprint with an Htc evo who has been waiting for information on windows phone 8.  Give us some dates on when you will release the wp8 phones Sprint!  I am even willing to settle for the mid level wp8 devices that have been rumored.  You carry the iphone and top of the line android devices why don't you do the same for wp8?  I won't get my hopes up too much though because almost a year ago I was emailed by Candace Johnson CWA Communications that 4g lte would be in our area "soon" in Michigan but maybe our definitions of soon differ a bit.  Yes I am a little bitter about being let down and having to wait so long. 

Journeyman

I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason I've stuck with Sprint for as long as I have is because of the "value" I get for unlimited data. I've been waiting forever to actually get a Windows 8 phone on Sprint. However, I do want to stress that Sprint cannot afford to pull the same stunt they did with the Arrive device on WP7. If they release a mediocre phone, it won't turn any heads, and will not sell, thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, and a nightmare for their sales team. I can assure you that if these new WP8 devices don't do well, Sprint will not be jumping back on the Windows phone platform due in part to the fact that they didn't release the right hardware for the times.

Sprint was probably very cautious about releasing Windows 8 phones because of how poorly the Arrive did with WP7. I can almost guarantee they wouldn't have had this problem if the Arrive wasn't so mediocre, and if they had actually continued to support it. They didn't give it the love it deserved, so it fell short, thus ruining it for everyone, including Sprint's sales figures. They can't pull this again without suffering the same results. If Sprint actually does release these rumored WP8 devices, they need to be worth looking at and comparable to the Nokia devices out there now, or no one will buy them. Why would anyone buy a mediocre WP8 device if they can get one with great hardware specs for a little more elsewhere. I won't buy one if the rumored Tiara is the best they come out with (assuming the released specs are true), because it's not at all comparable to something like the Nokia 920.

TLDR; I want a Windows Phone 8 device on Sprint. But they need to make it a good device that will actually be something new and turn heads. Why release a Win8 phone 6 months after initial launch with worse/more mediocre hardware than what is already on the market under other carriers? MAKE IT COUNT, SPRINT.

Journeyman

I concur with everyone here. First Sprint says it won't get windows again, and then the backlash makes them; backtrack...now they can't give a timetable! And I also agree in terms of giving us some quality in the device offering this time. I have 3 HTC Arrive phones for my family (at least they only cost me a penny each), and have had nothing but problems with the phones and batteries. From never functioning WiFi, to soundless remanufactured models replaced under warranty, to 3 month battery life (I've had around 14), and taking phones in for repair, etc... I hear the WiFi is a problem from others who had different HTC devices as well. I for one, will not be buying another HTC (Hunk of Trashy Crap) when Sprint decides to tell their consumers what is going on with windows 8. However, this needs to happen soon as all of my phone contracts end tomorrow and I am eager to get into something that works!

Journeyman

My worry is that Sprint isn't taking Windows very seriously and will only put one out if it doesn't cost them very much because they're looking at it as a short-term investment. They're putting Windows on under-powered ho-hum phones that won't sell very well. They'll provide minimal support, upsetting the few people who had the guts to buy one.  Then they'll drop the whole Windows line, shrug their shoulders and say "well, we tried."

This is, of course, what they've done w/ the Arrive. There's an upgrade Win 7.5 out there, Win 7.8, and Sprint refuses to release it, while other carriers have.They refuse to indicate when, or even if, they're going to provide this update. Unlike some of the other replies on this post, I haven't had many problems w/ the Arrive. Overall, I'd say it's been a positive experience and far better than the phone I had before.  But I'd love to see Sprint support the Nokia line. That would indicate to us that they're serious about supporting the Windows line.

As of now, I'm looking at other alternatives (Verizon in particular), but my contract isn't up yet and I don't want to pay the exorbitant $$ to break my contract (with 3 other family members on my contract, too).

My biggest complaint w/ Sprint is their total lack of communication to their customers on the matter. This news blackout just isn't a very professional way to treat their customers.

Journeyman

I completely agree. I switched to AT&T and I absolutely love my 920. It certainly isn't the phone for everyone but I actually love owning and using it on a daily basis (Nokia makes wonderful phones and I can't wait to see what the 928 brings to the table--since you were talking about Verizon). In my opinion, Sprint missed an opportunity and let's face the facts it is not going to get better. If the rate at which they're upgrading their network to LTE is any indication of the future... I have nothing else to say.

Journeyman

My contract ends May 16th.  After that...who knows, but it's going to be Windows Phone 8 for me.

Journeyman

I had 2 accounts with sprints (total of 3 lines) and as soon as I heard about the 2 WP8's Sprint was going to be offering, 2 of my lines were switched to AT&T and my son and mother are proud owners of the nokia lumia 920!  I didn't switch my line over because I have been a loyal sprint customer for quite some time now and thought I could deal with one of the phones they were going to offer but after seeing the lumia 920 in action...I'm switching!  At least this way I don't have to use an airrave anymore to boost my reception, deal with the horrible 3g speeds, and I don't have to settle for phones anymore which I have been doing for a long time now.  They never have the phones I want or they get them waaaaaaay too late!  You won't be sorry if you switch to At&t!

Journeyman

Pretty much in the same boat here. I have been a Sprint Customer for almost 13 years. I will be leaving as soon as my contract is up.

MOST of the people that wanted a windows 8 phone on sprint have left. I will leave too because it's obvious Sprint is not serious about supporting Windows 8. I am tired of these carriers. I will just go with a monthly service that is cheap and buy my phone's outright from now on.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat