cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Journeyman

Re: My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Actually if you are new to Verizon, go to  newegg.com, you can get the 928 for free. I just priced it, requires 2 year commitment.

Journeyman

Not to mention the $350 early termination fee. I've been a Sprint customer for 15 years. I have had 3 lines on my contract for the last 6 years. I was a sprint premier customer until they decided that loyalty means nothing to them anymore. My contract is up on one line and as soon as the prorated early termination fee is down to $100 on the other two, I'm gone.  I'm switching to  another carrier which will be getting the lumia 925 this summer and has unlimited plans for less money and no contracts. Sprint has really blown it they way they dropped support for the wp7 and badmouthed windows phones in general. Their marketing of windows phones sucks and I'm sick of subsidizing the iphones and 4g that I cant use.

Journeyman

Huh, a Lumia 928 for free and a 925 for $99.00. Both higher end phones than what Sprint is offering yet cheaper....... great strategy Sprint. Plus there's no release date!

Journeyman

OK EZ I don't understand why you insist the Samsung is inferior to the Nokia's? The specs are virtually the same! The design is from my point of view practically the same so what am I missing?  And according to phonearena.com the phones will be out in the 3rd quarter.

Journeyman

I have no idea when the 3rd quarter starts, but that doesn't sound like anytime soon.

As far as inferior, I never stated the phone is inferior at all. My issue is the pricing

Journeyman

I see my mistake then but I have to admit I don't pay attention to the pricing that much. As far as I'm concerned all of these phones are over priced. I paid $300 for the one I have now so $149 seemed like a bargain!

Journeyman

Well, my W8 phone quest is over.  My photon crapped out forcing me to purchase something.  I went with the Galaxy S4 on Sprint (my wife did not want to change carriers!!) and am very happy with it so far.  I had signed up for a Best Buy rebate in February and also recieved another from Samsung.  Thus, my out the door cost for the S4 was $17.  I had $100 in rebates (Best Buy and Samsung) and used another $100 from a Sprint rebate card.  I am still very disappointed that I do not have a WP8 phone and still on Sprint.  Hopefully Sprint gets their act together soon with better WP8 phones and network upgrades in Denver area.  I will probably use my daughters upgrade when the second round of WP8 phones release and just give her the S4.

Journeyman

DIALM4SPEED wrote:

OK EZ I don't understand why you insist the Samsung is inferior to the Nokia's? The specs are virtually the same! The design is from my point of view practically the same so what am I missing?  And according to phonearena.com the phones will be out in the 3rd quarter.

Both phones, including the Samsung, are inferior to the Lumia series. Lower screen resolution and less processing power. Any tech site in the world will tell you that these 2 announced phones are mid-tier phones at best, not high-end phones. For example, the screen resolution on these won't compare to a Lumia. I've now got a 3 year old phone with 480x800 resolution. Any phone that comes out today with the same resolution as my 3 year old phone is inferior.

As for the third quarter, that's technically now. We are in the third quarter currently, so if they don't come out soon, that'd be misinformation. At this point, until Sprint announces the release dates themselves, anything else is just a rumor.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing on the price at least... these are, quite frankly, overpriced for what they are; mid-range, low-effort phones from Sprint (which will probably not be supported in a year). As others have already mentioned, you can get a Lumia for cheaper than both of these.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, the case is looking worse and worse for Sprint. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and was given some great news. First of all, not only do their plans start out cheaper than Sprint for comperable service, but I just confirmed I qualify for a discount through my employer for an additional 15% off. And that 15% is for ALL lines on the family plan, not just the primary like Sprint does it.

In addition to that, there is no activation or upgrade fee for any of the lines through this discount...and even if I did have to pay a fee, it's only $15 instead of the $36 that Sprint charges. (Digging further, I discovered the activation fee is actually $35, not $15, but is waived even without an employer discount for new customers. I'm nor sure if the activation fee is lessened through an employer discount, but the point is moot anyway...). I also get the option of foregoing 4G data on a per line basis, further adding to my savings. Two of the four lines I have don't need it, but they'll get 500 MB of 4G a month free regardless.

With the Nokia Lumia 1020 on the horizon, I am ready to call it quits on Sprint. Even if I can't get an unlocked 1020, I'll be quite happy to pick up a 925 in a month. That's far better than waiting till Christmas for Sprint to hopefully come out with something I would be agreeable in purchasing.

Two of my four lines are already past the contract period and a third will be up in August (or is it October, I'm not sure how that works...). The last line I just renewed in December, so that's a bit of a wrinkle. I need to do some math to find out how I should deal with that, but it's simply down to the numbers.

I'm sorry Sprint, I really, REALLY tried to play ball with you but you didn't just drop the ball, you threw it deliberately into a wood chipper and shredded it, and expected me to be happy as you did it. We just can't play anymore.

Journeyman

I beg to differ on the Samsung, if you look at my other post "Let's compare windows phones" you will see the specs are practically the same as the Lumia 925. Unless there is something I am misunderstanding with all of this. Some have suggested that Sprint is waiting for the MS update to WP that is supposed to be coming soon. If that is the case then delaying these phones would make some sense.

Journeyman

DIALM4SPEED wrote:

I beg to differ on the Samsung, if you look at my other post "Let's compare windows phones" you will see the specs are practically the same as the Lumia 925. Unless there is something I am misunderstanding with all of this. Some have suggested that Sprint is waiting for the MS update to WP that is supposed to be coming soon. If that is the case then delaying these phones would make some sense.

Looks like you're right. They are, indeed, pretty similar. The HTC one falls short a bit, though. For reference, I used this... http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-ATIV-S-Neo,HTC-8XT,Nokia-Lumia-925/phones/7934,7933...

My only complaint then is, as others are quick to mention as well, the price.

Side by side:

Lumia 925Samsung Ativ S NeoHTC 8XT
Resolution:768x1280720x1280480x800
Screen size:4.5"4.8"4.3"
Processor:1.5 GHz dual core1.4 GHz dual core1.4 GHz dual core
RAM:1 GB1 GB1 GB
Storage:16 GB internal8 or 16 GB (seen conflicting information)  + microSD (up to 64GB)8 GB internal + microSD (64GB)
Battery:2,000 mAh (not removable)2,000 mAh (removable)1,800 mAh (not removable)
Camera:8.7 megapixel8 megapixel8 megapixel
Price (w/contract):

925 - $50

$150 w/$50 rebate (So, $200 initially)$99 w/$50 rebate ($150 initial cost)

Keep in mind, the latest high-end Android phone, the Galaxy S4, has a faster processor (quad core instead of dual core), a better camera, higher battery, double the RAM, bigger screen, bigger resolution, more internal storage, etc. THAT is "high-end". Windows Phones are getting the shaft. We can't just compare WP to WP, we also have to compare WP to iOS to Android.

Wizard

qhendricks,

The wait is almost over! Beginning Friday, July 19 Sprint customers will be able to enjoy the highly anticipated first Windows Phone 8 device from Sprint, the HTC® 8XT. Customers will appreciate access to the advanced features and capabilities of this device with the benefit of unlimited 4G LTE (available in select markets) data, text and calling to any mobile with no metering, no throttling, and no overages, all while on the Sprint network.  HTC 8XT will be available for $99.99 with a new line or eligible upgrade, two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate via reward card1 and can be purchased via Sprint sales channels including Sprint Stores, Sprint Business Sales, Telesales

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat