cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Wizard

Re: My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

DIALM4SPEED,

Thanks for the post. I thought the cores speed up the processing power. Not necessarily the apps themselves?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Actually I don't know for certain but there was a huge debate on this topic on another forum and a guy that writes software said there's currently no software that can take advantage of those cores. But if phone X doesn't have multi cores then everyone perceives it as inferior so they put them in anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Capt.Random wrote:

DIALM4SPEED,

Thanks for the post. I thought the cores speed up the processing power. Not necessarily the apps themselves?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Technically, that's only half-right. More cores doesn't necessarily mean faster processing. It's the GHz that determines speed. Multiple cores helps with multi-tasking and running several processor intensive applications or tasks at once. Simply put, there just isn't anything on a phone at this point in time that would possibly even be able to think about using all 4 cores of a quad-core processor. More cores would help when running multiple applications without necessarily "closing" them.

Essentially, it's a combination of the amount of RAM in the system, how much RAM that system chooses to recognize and utilize, combined with the amount of cores and GHz of said cores in the processor.

TLDR; More cores would allow for more multi-tasking and essentially faster processing, but at this point in phone technology, you're not likely to notice a difference between 2 and 4.

Source: I work in IT

Wizard

DIALM4SPEED,

Thanks for the post. Sometimes perception is king. You cant argue some points with someone who will only see what they want to see. But if you can run multi-apps it could help with playing games while texting and listening to music.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

If the MVNO Ting is anything to get a price from on the HTC 8XT (they only sell their phones at full retail price without contract), it's looking like it'll be about $373 if you don't get a 2 year contract with it. Honestly, this isn't too bad - I was expecting slightly higher. At this point, it might be worth it to just get it off contract and then nab a better device when it comes along.

TLDR;

• On contract - $99 after $50 mail-in rebate ($150 initial investment)
  • Off contract - $373

Sources: Link here from engadget - MVNO Ting joins the Windows Phone crowd with launch of HTC 8XT

Image I took from Ting's site: http://i.imgur.com/8pWcFHe.png

Wizard

qhendricks,

Thanks for the post. I show the phone being $399. retail. check the link www.sprint.com/phones

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Capt.Random

Capt.Random wrote:

qhendricks,

Thanks for the post. I show the phone being $399. retail. check the link www.sprint.com/phones

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Victor/Capt.Random, if you could riddle me this then, please... why is it cheaper for me to buy it off-contract on Ting? What's to stop me from ordering the phone through Ting for $20 cheaper than I could get it from any Sprint store, and then just bringing the not-yet-activated phone to Sprint and activating it under my account? If that's possible, it's easy to get down to the obvious question which is, "Why would anyone order it through Sprint's store if they can get it for cheaper on Ting and just activate it all the same?"

Also, another quick question (hopefully)... why is the HTC 8XT on the store page way down at the bottom of the page between the Blackberries, pre-owned devices, and otherwise reject phones? This is a brand new device! Why isn't it up near the top? I get it.. Sprint wants to market the Android stuff and iPhone, obviously. But the Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S, for example, are older, sometimes by more than a year, than the HTC 8XT, and yet they're up at the top of the store page. This makes no sense.

Marketing 101 - if you want people to buy the new WP8 device rather than simply "take stock" of it, you have to push it, market it, and put it in a spot that people will see it and want to at least click the link to check it out, hopefully buying it. Right now, it looks like it's intentionally being hidden - as if Sprint doesn't want people to buy it so the self-fulfilling prophecy of "oh our Windows Phones didn't sell well" comes true. There's no public visibility on this phone! How is that store page sorted by default? There appears to be no good sorting when first looking at that page - it looks like someone just plopped phones on the grid. PLEASE, escalate this to your boss or higher-ups, the people who manage the store page, whatever..... this phone should not be buried at the bottom of the page between the junk. It's not even marketed as a new phone on Sprint's home page! I know you may not have direct power to change this, but I am not alone in this thinking, and it can't just be a "Thanks for your feedback" response, dying here in the forums. This deserves to be passed on. Someone who has the ability to change it should see this.

Journeyman

I fully agree!!!!  It seems as if the higher ups want this phone to fail in sales.  How can you have a brand new item pasted on the 10th line of the smartphone line-up?  And furthermore, nothing in the slideshow highlighting its release!

Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Journeyman

None of the tech sites are even bothering to review these phones.

Journeyman

inkfrogrfx wrote:

None of the tech sites are even bothering to review these phones.

I've noticed that as well. If you search for reviews on it, all you get are reviews for the 8X, not the 8XT. Maybe.. just maybe... bear with me here... it's because this phone isn't being marketed, pushed, or advertised AT ALL. And they just expect it to fly off the shelves regardless.

When I went in to look at one in the store, the rep I talked to didn't even know they had them. They had to get their manager to bring out a demo unit for me by asking "Hey (Name), do we even have any Windows Phones in?"  That's disappointing - pathetic even. The guy sitting at the PC in the corporate Sprint store tried looking for it on the Sprint website and couldn't find it! Of course, as I noted in an earlier post, it's because it was buried so far down in the store page, he missed it. Their response? "Well I guess you could order one online, but the unit we have here is just a demo."

Journeyman

After the first of the year, someone at Sprint corporate will say "See...there's no market for WP8 phones."  And by December 31 - 70 people will have unsupported phones for the remainder of their contract.

Journeyman

I don't really hang out on tech sites but Phonearena.com did I do believe.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat