Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Journeyman

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Ok, so my family and I have been Sprint customers literally forever and I love the fact that the company has the best value for your money than any other carrier out there. However, and this is a huge "however," this whole thing with Windows Phone 8 is beginning to confuse me. Why is it taking so long to get some sort of information about the phones Sprint will be offering and when they will be offering them? It seems interesting to me that the company comes out and says that it is "bullish" about the new operating system, and yet here we are, nearly 6 months after its release and still no confirmation on when the HTC and Samsung phones are going to be released. I have and HTC Evo: worst phone ever made for someone like me who uses his phone constantly and who drops phones just as frequently (first day I got it, I dropped it). Fast forward 3 years and here we are. I'm sick of Apple (have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, definatly not liking how expensive this company's devices are to own) and Android is no different than Apple only they have a much larger phone ecosystem yet the quality of said phones really only lasts the life of the contract (if you're extremely lucky). Suffice to say when I heard the news about Windows Phone 8 coming to Sprint, I was literally jumping up and down until I got to the caveat: the vague language surrounding the release date. A device arriving sometime by summer could mean anything, but I decided to wait, patiently crossing my fingers that Sprint wouldn't let me down. Fast forward to now, and still nothing.

With all of this being said, I'm making a request of the company to give me some answers. Why is this taking so long? When will I get a concrete release date? When will I actually get a glympse of these new phones? I love how a company that is "bullish" about the Windows Phone 8 OS has been able to release 2 new phones (the One X and the S4) within weeks of their being announced to the public and yet are still unable to give me an actual time frame in which your Windows Phone 8 devices are going to be available for purchase. It baffles me how little information is out there about these Windows phones your company plans to release by some unknown date and how much is out there about the One X and S4 which have OSs that already permeate your store. Please, it would be nice to get some information about this and I think that it will certainly help your public image more than you know because reading a lot of these community posts, people are not too happy about this whole issue and something tells me that the problem is with a lack of communication from your end. It is worrisome when a website like The Verge is telling me that your company is going to be giving me low-to-mid range phones like the Ativ and the Tiara. Is it true? Can someone confirm or deny this information, because it seems a little ridiculous that we wait so long and all you can come up with is two phones that are not all that more advanced than phones released 6 months ago.

If the company does not come through for me, then I am going to reach out to the community: what do you think about this whole situation and do you think that AT & T, Verizon, or T-Mobile are better choices for people that want this particular operating system? Because let's face it, to be perfectly honest, Sprint needs to understand the idea of what happens in a market economy: the consumer talks and if you can't give the consumer what it wants, you lose business and you lose money. And I can bet that anyone looking for a Windows Phone 8 device is certainly not looking for the Ativ or an HTC device that has a subpar screen resolution. Just a thought. My phone is on its last leg: the screen is cracked quite extensively, the plastic body has more than its share of battle scars, and my contract has been up for a whole year, so I have nothing to lose by switching carriers at the drop of a hat besides the peace-of-mind I get from having unlimited data (even though half the time the connection is poor and I only use about 2 GB in a good month, much more on wi-fi but that's free anyway). $20 more a month will not bother me when I'm carrying the satisfyingly high quality "Incredible Hulk" of phones in my hands.

Just a few thoughts, everyone. Maybe I'm just  a materialistic Millennial. Who knows...

Thank you!

188 REPLIES 188
Wizard

qhendricks,

Thanks for the reply. I run this up the flag pole as well. Lets get it noticed. The thread will never die huh? I'm so happy to hear that. It will keep me busy.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Capt.Random wrote:

qhendricks,

Thanks for the reply. I run this up the flag pole as well. Lets get it noticed. The thread will never die huh? I'm so happy to hear that. It will keep me busy.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

No, it wont die. Trust me on that one

Wizard

EZE4DA3747,

Oh I know it wont.   ,  Ill keep you guys in the know as much as I can. Thats a promise. I might be slow every once in a while but I might be off.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Just waiting for all my contracts to expire and I right with you.

Journeyman

Looks like @Capt. Random is making a difference.  The HTC 8XT is back on the front page, but the phone is still in the tank on the smartphone shop page.

Wizard

ALPHAXI0306,

Its not me, Its you guys. I just passed the word up. Its a start, but I think the smartphone page goes by price until you change the options to sort.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Capt.Random

Capt.Random wrote:

ALPHAXI0306,

Its not me, Its you guys. I just passed the word up. Its a start, but I think the smartphone page goes by price until you change the options to sort.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

But it can't possibly be going by price... for example:

- Galaxy S4, $200, at the top of the page

- LG Optimus Elite, $0, 3rd row

- Pre-owned Blackberry $80, somewhere in the middle of the page

- HTC 8XT, $100, 3rd row from the *bottom*

- Galaxy Note II, $250, 2nd to last row.

There is no sort order there. Looking at the page, it's not sorted by price, newest, manufacturer, pre-owned, ratings, etc. There's just nothing. They're haphazardly placed there. I work in user experience in the tech industry, and that page is one of the worst offenders - there's no obvious sort order. Almost every e-commerce site, even if you don't choose any sort of filtering options, has a default, as well as a way to sort by Latest, sort by Price, and so on.

Journeyman

Yep, your right.  It seems to be a combination of price and phones being featured.  The WP phone should also be at the top with the Iphones and android (Samsung) phones, unless Sprint does not considered it a priority.

Journeyman

Just went to my local Sprint store to play with the HTC and of course not available! Ask the counter jockey where the heck it is and she only vaguely knew about it. For fun I ask if she's heard anything about the Samsung... Had ZERO idea about it. EPIC FAILURE!  😠

Wizard

qhendricks,

Thanks for the post. The Sprint site has the option to sort all kinds of ways Price/Web deals/OS/manufacturer/style /key features/condition. Depending on what your preference is. Im sure the team responsible had some rhyme or reason for the way they set up the page via default.

Victor

Sprint Social care

Journeyman

Victor,

I know that you can manually alter the results on the left. That's fairly standard. I was mainly just talking about the default layout.Maybe it's true that they have some sort of rationalized explanation for it, but it still doesn't make sense. I know we'll never get the true rhyme or reason for why it's set up the way it is today, but it's honestly a broken layout. It makes absolutely no sense that the new HTC is down at the bottom between used (sorry, pre-owned) phones, $0 phones, and so on. I've seriously mentally tried figuring out the algorithm to how the page is sorted by default and I cannot pin down a particular pattern. It's honestly, as far as I can tell, jumbled and random.

Honestly, if I were Sprint, I'd look into hiring a UX consultant to fix that store page. They can call me any time - they have my number! I'll do their ads for them, too, if it'll help sell the WP8 OS and platform that they're so keen on otherwise shoving out the door, taking stock, and forgetting about.

Journeyman

Your right the default page doesn't make sense, until you really look at it.  It goes Android's first newest to oldest androids they want to premier, then iphones 4s and 5 lowest price to highest.  Now through all other phones together lowest price to highest price.  The WP 8XT phone should either be first, after the android phones or after the iphones not bunched up with all of the other phones.  Unless Sprint is not serious about the WP phones.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat