Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Journeyman

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Ok, so my family and I have been Sprint customers literally forever and I love the fact that the company has the best value for your money than any other carrier out there. However, and this is a huge "however," this whole thing with Windows Phone 8 is beginning to confuse me. Why is it taking so long to get some sort of information about the phones Sprint will be offering and when they will be offering them? It seems interesting to me that the company comes out and says that it is "bullish" about the new operating system, and yet here we are, nearly 6 months after its release and still no confirmation on when the HTC and Samsung phones are going to be released. I have and HTC Evo: worst phone ever made for someone like me who uses his phone constantly and who drops phones just as frequently (first day I got it, I dropped it). Fast forward 3 years and here we are. I'm sick of Apple (have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, definatly not liking how expensive this company's devices are to own) and Android is no different than Apple only they have a much larger phone ecosystem yet the quality of said phones really only lasts the life of the contract (if you're extremely lucky). Suffice to say when I heard the news about Windows Phone 8 coming to Sprint, I was literally jumping up and down until I got to the caveat: the vague language surrounding the release date. A device arriving sometime by summer could mean anything, but I decided to wait, patiently crossing my fingers that Sprint wouldn't let me down. Fast forward to now, and still nothing.

With all of this being said, I'm making a request of the company to give me some answers. Why is this taking so long? When will I get a concrete release date? When will I actually get a glympse of these new phones? I love how a company that is "bullish" about the Windows Phone 8 OS has been able to release 2 new phones (the One X and the S4) within weeks of their being announced to the public and yet are still unable to give me an actual time frame in which your Windows Phone 8 devices are going to be available for purchase. It baffles me how little information is out there about these Windows phones your company plans to release by some unknown date and how much is out there about the One X and S4 which have OSs that already permeate your store. Please, it would be nice to get some information about this and I think that it will certainly help your public image more than you know because reading a lot of these community posts, people are not too happy about this whole issue and something tells me that the problem is with a lack of communication from your end. It is worrisome when a website like The Verge is telling me that your company is going to be giving me low-to-mid range phones like the Ativ and the Tiara. Is it true? Can someone confirm or deny this information, because it seems a little ridiculous that we wait so long and all you can come up with is two phones that are not all that more advanced than phones released 6 months ago.

If the company does not come through for me, then I am going to reach out to the community: what do you think about this whole situation and do you think that AT & T, Verizon, or T-Mobile are better choices for people that want this particular operating system? Because let's face it, to be perfectly honest, Sprint needs to understand the idea of what happens in a market economy: the consumer talks and if you can't give the consumer what it wants, you lose business and you lose money. And I can bet that anyone looking for a Windows Phone 8 device is certainly not looking for the Ativ or an HTC device that has a subpar screen resolution. Just a thought. My phone is on its last leg: the screen is cracked quite extensively, the plastic body has more than its share of battle scars, and my contract has been up for a whole year, so I have nothing to lose by switching carriers at the drop of a hat besides the peace-of-mind I get from having unlimited data (even though half the time the connection is poor and I only use about 2 GB in a good month, much more on wi-fi but that's free anyway). $20 more a month will not bother me when I'm carrying the satisfyingly high quality "Incredible Hulk" of phones in my hands.

Just a few thoughts, everyone. Maybe I'm just  a materialistic Millennial. Who knows...

Thank you!

188 REPLIES 188
Wizard

qhendricks,

Thanks for the reply. Ill let them know that your willing to take a crack at it. I really have to take a look at this phone. With the way everyone is so enamored with the W8P, I feel like Im missing out. I will send another post up the pole to see if anyone can answer why this is. I would like to see what the next W8P will sit on this page.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

ALPHAXI0306,

Thanks for the post. We're serious, because if we weren't we would not have gotten any Window devices. We have 2 coming out. We are going to have to wait to see how well they do and where they will sit on the default page. Sprint is serious.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Yeah you got 2 WP8. Nearly a year later!! The "better late than never" answer does not mean you're taking WP8 seriously.

Everyone's brought it up, but everyone remembers how Sprint handled the Arrive. If you guys were serious you would've had WP8 when they released. There's no excuse that a newer device is dropped so low in the menu. It's a new phone, it's should be towards the top. Actions speak louder than words. You can tell us as much as you want Sprint is taking WP8 seriously, but your actions have proven otherwise.

Capt.Random wrote:

ALPHAXI0306,

Thanks for the post. We're serious, because if we weren't we would not have gotten any Window devices. We have 2 coming out. We are going to have to wait to see how well they do and where they will sit on the default page. Sprint is serious.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

That's such garbage that they're trying to act like they have "no idea" why the phone is that low in the menu.

ALPHAXI0306 wrote:

Your right the default page doesn't make sense, until you really look at it.  It goes Android's first newest to oldest androids they want to premier, then iphones 4s and 5 lowest price to highest.  Now through all other phones together lowest price to highest price.  The WP 8XT phone should either be first, after the android phones or after the iphones not bunched up with all of the other phones.  Unless Sprint is not serious about the WP phones.

Journeyman

There's finally a review of the HTC 8XT on WPCentral: Sprint HTC 8XT Windows Phone review | Windows Phone Central

It's actually quite positive

Wizard

EZE4DA3747,

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry you feel as if we are not taking the Windows 8 phone seriously. I tend to disagree with you, Respectfully of course. If we did not take the device seriously we would not have bothered to putthe device in our line up. That's the epitome of taking seriously. Just because we have the device low on the page does not prove any indication on whether or not Sprint is taking any type of stance on it. It would be like saying the Galaxy note 2 is not being taken seriously, that device is below the Windows phone in the line up. I think to much is being made from this as Customers wanted the Windows phone and Sprint got one and has another one coming soon.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Respectfully, captain, Sprint really only has itself to blame. They specifically in January said they were going to be bringing "FRESH" Windows Phone devices this summer, and instead released two devices that were either a watered down older device (the HTC 8x is a shadow of the HTC 8xt) or a device that has actually been sold for nearly 8 months in Europe (with minor changes).  Those don't exactly feel "fresh"

My contract is up tomorrow and I'd been waiting for 8 months to see what "fresh" means. As a long time user of the HTC Arrive and an advocate for Windows Phones, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with Sprint's idea of "fresh".

I'm not even begging for a Nokia device (even though the other carriers have them)...but a cutting edge, new, interesting Windows Phone from HTC (perhaps the HTC One with Windows Phone) or something intriguing like a Lenovo or LG Windows Phone would have gotten some positive responses.

Respectfully, it kind of feels like Windows Phone fans are getting tossed a bone.

Journeyman

gerry,

I wouldn't wish too hard for an LG phone. Every device I've ever had from LG has been an utter pile of broken crap. HTC at least has some built quality to it, although, admittedly, it's an entry-level phone. Keep in mind that Nokia has been releasing Lumia phones "worse" in specs than the 8XT and making off like bandits. The majority of WP8 devices sold are Lumia 520/x model, not the 900+. Like it or not, there's a market for people who don't want the highest specs possible - those who just want a device that works and works well for what it has, and is affordable. You seem like you're primarily just gunning for high specs, when that isn't the only thing in the big picture.

Honestly, the ATIV S Neo has almost identical specs to the recent Lumia 920/x models (and I'm not counting the 1020, which is pretty much a camera with a phone attached).

Journeyman

Dear gerryf19,

I understand your frustration in waiting to see the latest and greatest. We want to keep you as a customer and be happy. Coming very soon is the Samsung ATIV S™ Neo. The HTC XT and the Samsung ATIV S Neo are the two confirmed Windows phones at this time. You can see the latest and greatest as they are announced at: http://newsroom.sprint.com/.  Just sign up for the notifications.

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

So the Sprint Windows Phone 8 slash page finally is updated and has a banner over the HTC " Now Available" and The Samsung " Coming Soon". Funny thing is I pre-registered and Ihave not gotten a lick of anything from Sprint. And you guys really want us to think Sprint is taking it seriously?

Journeyman

And Victor I don't care if you disagree, you seem to disagree with everybody on here.

I think I pretty much made it clear to you that because you finally got year old phones, way after all the other carriers got WP8 does NOT mean you're taking WP8 seriously. You can not keep coming on here with this "look we have the phone now so leave us alone" attitude. I find it funny you also failed to acknowledge that fact, plus the fact that everyone remembers the HTC Arrive. Very expensive and non marketed phone which became the basis for Sprint not to even sell the W8 when it launched.

The HTC 8XT has not been marketed at all. I even signed up for the email notification and got nothing. There's nothing on the homepage about it. You want to act like it's positioning on the page is by some random act (no pun intended) and then you compare it's positioning to the Galaxy Note 2 which was released in September of 2012?

We are customers and voicing our frustration, and it's not your job to tell us "too much is being made of this" and your post a while back of "hopefully we can change the theme of this thread". Obviously people are not happy, or we would not be having these threads, and just want to see this OS get a fair shot like the others, but it's not.

Journeyman

I totally agree!  Got so fed up with Sprint I ran to T-Mobile and purchased the Nokia Lumina 925.  Impressed by the phone, happy with the cost of service ($20 a month cheaper than Sprint) and didn't have to purchase a "soon-to-be outdated" Windows 8 Phone.

Clean up your act Sprint and get what the people want, or else you'll have a whole lot of others jumping ship!!!!!  Bye-bye!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat