Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Journeyman

My Windows Phone 8 Dilemma

Ok, so my family and I have been Sprint customers literally forever and I love the fact that the company has the best value for your money than any other carrier out there. However, and this is a huge "however," this whole thing with Windows Phone 8 is beginning to confuse me. Why is it taking so long to get some sort of information about the phones Sprint will be offering and when they will be offering them? It seems interesting to me that the company comes out and says that it is "bullish" about the new operating system, and yet here we are, nearly 6 months after its release and still no confirmation on when the HTC and Samsung phones are going to be released. I have and HTC Evo: worst phone ever made for someone like me who uses his phone constantly and who drops phones just as frequently (first day I got it, I dropped it). Fast forward 3 years and here we are. I'm sick of Apple (have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, definatly not liking how expensive this company's devices are to own) and Android is no different than Apple only they have a much larger phone ecosystem yet the quality of said phones really only lasts the life of the contract (if you're extremely lucky). Suffice to say when I heard the news about Windows Phone 8 coming to Sprint, I was literally jumping up and down until I got to the caveat: the vague language surrounding the release date. A device arriving sometime by summer could mean anything, but I decided to wait, patiently crossing my fingers that Sprint wouldn't let me down. Fast forward to now, and still nothing.

With all of this being said, I'm making a request of the company to give me some answers. Why is this taking so long? When will I get a concrete release date? When will I actually get a glympse of these new phones? I love how a company that is "bullish" about the Windows Phone 8 OS has been able to release 2 new phones (the One X and the S4) within weeks of their being announced to the public and yet are still unable to give me an actual time frame in which your Windows Phone 8 devices are going to be available for purchase. It baffles me how little information is out there about these Windows phones your company plans to release by some unknown date and how much is out there about the One X and S4 which have OSs that already permeate your store. Please, it would be nice to get some information about this and I think that it will certainly help your public image more than you know because reading a lot of these community posts, people are not too happy about this whole issue and something tells me that the problem is with a lack of communication from your end. It is worrisome when a website like The Verge is telling me that your company is going to be giving me low-to-mid range phones like the Ativ and the Tiara. Is it true? Can someone confirm or deny this information, because it seems a little ridiculous that we wait so long and all you can come up with is two phones that are not all that more advanced than phones released 6 months ago.

If the company does not come through for me, then I am going to reach out to the community: what do you think about this whole situation and do you think that AT & T, Verizon, or T-Mobile are better choices for people that want this particular operating system? Because let's face it, to be perfectly honest, Sprint needs to understand the idea of what happens in a market economy: the consumer talks and if you can't give the consumer what it wants, you lose business and you lose money. And I can bet that anyone looking for a Windows Phone 8 device is certainly not looking for the Ativ or an HTC device that has a subpar screen resolution. Just a thought. My phone is on its last leg: the screen is cracked quite extensively, the plastic body has more than its share of battle scars, and my contract has been up for a whole year, so I have nothing to lose by switching carriers at the drop of a hat besides the peace-of-mind I get from having unlimited data (even though half the time the connection is poor and I only use about 2 GB in a good month, much more on wi-fi but that's free anyway). $20 more a month will not bother me when I'm carrying the satisfyingly high quality "Incredible Hulk" of phones in my hands.

Just a few thoughts, everyone. Maybe I'm just  a materialistic Millennial. Who knows...

Thank you!

188 REPLIES 188
Journeyman

In a nutshell Vic the "Randomizing Capt.", he's just saying stop treating us like we are stupid.  We can look and see that Sprint is not making this phone a priority.  I can see it now, "See the phone didn't sell again."  Sprint your so predictable.  It's like being in the woods at night and you see a shadowy figure and you don't know what it is and looking behind you and seeing all of your freinds.  Which way will you go?

BigSqueeze08 is right you guys lost 771,000 costumers and attribute it to the Nextel shutdown while ATT and Verizon both picked up over a mil each.  Well June 30 has come and gone and we will see if anything changes.  I haven't upgraded from my Arrive not because I don't want either of the WP8 phones, but because I am waiting to see if anything changes when WP8.1 comes out.  You have until December to show me I will not have to deal with poor support of WP phones otherwise I am gone.  I am not going to continue to have to wait for the phones I want for no reason.

Journeyman

You give us a low end HTC and a terrible Samsung.  If you were serious about WP8 you would be adding some Nokias to your line up and promoting them.

Journeyman

Shockakohn09, while I tend to agree these phones aren't "new", they're all we get. While Nokia may be the best poster child for Windows Phone, they're not the only one, and that doesn't mean that everything not Nokia isn't good. If you want the WP8 platform to grow, you can't expect it to be dominated by 1 manufacturer. Competition is good for the market, innovation, and the customer.

Face it - we're not going to see a Nokia device on Sprint, most likely in part to Sprint's flavor of CDMA network. In this case, Sprint not having a Nokia device isn't entirely Sprint's fault. I personally think that if Windows Phone is going to be successful, we shouldn't be telescoping our vision and throwing all our hopes onto Nokia as the only manufacturer.

Wizard

EZE4DA3747,

Thanks for the post. Sorry you feel like I am patronizing you. This was never my intent. The fact of the matter is I am only providing you info that I have available to me. The HTC and Samsung devices are the Windows devices that we have and are working with. I am here for you. I try to put some personality into this as I feel being monotone and bland is boring, I want to engage. Seems some posters like it some don't. In the end I work for you and provide a service for whatever I can. Examples are like when asked why this device is at the bottom of the page, I sent this info up the line to see if this could be changed. When asked why the splash page is not updated I also sent that up the line and it was changed.I will do what I can.  In regards to the pre reg stuff. I don't have an answer for that. I did however jump on this thread to inform the community the device was being launched a while back and that you can verify. I applaud your passion for this device, but lets face it if the masses do not buy this phone it will fail.That's economics. Telecom is a rough business. It will all depend on how well it sells.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Anybody else want to explain to him for the 1000th time why this sentence is wrong, because I'm done repeating myself.

but lets face it if the masses do not buy this phone it will fail.That's economics. Telecom is a rough business. It will all depend on how well it sells.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

It doesn't have to be Nokia, but something more than mediocre specs.  A FLAGSHIP - something that you can "want" to use every single day for two years!  Instead of limping along because now your trapped on a POS phone for the duration.

Wizard

EZE4DA3747,

Is it wrong? Are you saying that if the Windows phone does not sell it will still be successful? Or is t here something wrong with my grammar?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Captain,

Here's what you were missing.  When you look @ the four platforms, look at what Sprint offers

iOS - latest iPhones at time of (or near time of) release

Android - Flagship phones - Galaxy S4 (flagship Samsung phone) Galaxy Note 2 (flagship Phablet), HTC One (Flagship HTC)

Blackberry - Currently the older 9900, but known to be carrying the Q/Z of new line with Q landing in August.  Not at launch, but was launched in May, so 3 months later

Windows Phone - a mid-range, rehashed HTC that has been on the market elsewhere for months and a rehashed Samsung that has been in the international market for months.

If I am a new user to Sprint, I want the best phone on the platform I can get.  There is obvious care about iOS & Android, and even better treatment towards Blackberry.  But when you look @ the Windows environment, its a dessert with an oasis that was long promised and took forever to come about.  You stated, if it doesn't sell, it won't be a success.  Agreed.  The point that you are missing is, for it to be a success, it also needs to be setup to BE a success.  Why would anyone switch carriers (Verizon or AT&T, where Sprint desperately NEEDS to take customers from) to a mid-range Windows phone, when they can stay on their carrier and get better products.  It won't happen (especially AT&T where the model is throw every new handset we can at it and see what sticks).

The community isn't asking Sprint to have every single new phone on the platform.  What we are simply asking is 1. Take the platform seriously. 2. Show that you do by promoting, update media, sending notifications, training staff at stores, etc. and 3. Give us a Flagship phone and refresh that phone every 6-9 months.  You abandoned the Windows phone after Arrive b/c you didn't have a flagship phone and you over charged for the device that it was.

Many of us (myself included) are long-time customers.  Mine goes back to late 90's.  As a current Blackberry owner, I've been waiting for almost a year to get a phone, and sadly, have a rehashed Samsung to look forward to.  I'm not thrilled and will probably buy it full price rather than renew my contract.  In another year, when my other three lines come up, I'll reexamine and see if I want to stay.  If I don't see support for the platform I want, like many others before me, I will be gone.  Because internally you might take Windows Phone seriously, externally it looks like we're the crazy drunk uncle that showed up late to the wedding ceremony.

Journeyman

Are you saying the phone is going to sell well the way you're marketing it so far? Are you saying that the way the Arrive was sold was done properly?

Are you saying everyone else is wrong?

Journeyman

Cheers to that Chrduff

chrduff wrote:

Captain,

Here's what you were missing.  When you look @ the four platforms, look at what Sprint offers

iOS - latest iPhones at time of (or near time of) release

Android - Flagship phones - Galaxy S4 (flagship Samsung phone) Galaxy Note 2 (flagship Phablet), HTC One (Flagship HTC)

Blackberry - Currently the older 9900, but known to be carrying the Q/Z of new line with Q landing in August.  Not at launch, but was launched in May, so 3 months later

Windows Phone - a mid-range, rehashed HTC that has been on the market elsewhere for months and a rehashed Samsung that has been in the international market for months.

If I am a new user to Sprint, I want the best phone on the platform I can get.  There is obvious care about iOS & Android, and even better treatment towards Blackberry.  But when you look @ the Windows environment, its a dessert with an oasis that was long promised and took forever to come about.  You stated, if it doesn't sell, it won't be a success.  Agreed.  The point that you are missing is, for it to be a success, it also needs to be setup to BE a success.  Why would anyone switch carriers (Verizon or AT&T, where Sprint desperately NEEDS to take customers from) to a mid-range Windows phone, when they can stay on their carrier and get better products.  It won't happen (especially AT&T where the model is throw every new handset we can at it and see what sticks).

The community isn't asking Sprint to have every single new phone on the platform.  What we are simply asking is 1. Take the platform seriously. 2. Show that you do by promoting, update media, sending notifications, training staff at stores, etc. and 3. Give us a Flagship phone and refresh that phone every 6-9 months.  You abandoned the Windows phone after Arrive b/c you didn't have a flagship phone and you over charged for the device that it was.

Many of us (myself included) are long-time customers.  Mine goes back to late 90's.  As a current Blackberry owner, I've been waiting for almost a year to get a phone, and sadly, have a rehashed Samsung to look forward to.  I'm not thrilled and will probably buy it full price rather than renew my contract.  In another year, when my other three lines come up, I'll reexamine and see if I want to stay.  If I don't see support for the platform I want, like many others before me, I will be gone.  Because internally you might take Windows Phone seriously, externally it looks like we're the crazy drunk uncle that showed up late to the wedding ceremony.

Journeyman

Capt.Random,

You weren't wrong on saying that if the masses don't buy the phone, it won't be successful. That's a given. That is, as you said, basic economics. The part that I think EZE4DA3747 is alluding to you missing is the second piece of the puzzle. It's the marketing, which I know, you don't really have control over. You only have the power to push things up the chain, pass on our feedback, and in return give us limited, approved messages outside of whatever is posted on the Newsroom.

People are frustrated because, while part of what you said was true - Sprint obviously wouldn't even bother releasing a phone if it wasn't at least partially serious about even trying - it doesn't come across as being sincere from Sprint's corporate marketing or device strategy. Like many have said, it's almost like we're being thrown a bone. The bone isn't to keep Windows Phone users happy - it's to shut us up, or at least, that's how it seems. If Sprint wanted to be serious and satisfy its customers, we would have gotten something comparable to newer phones in specs - phones that have come out recently. Or maybe it's a pricing issue - for a mid-range phone that the 8XT is, it's too costly, even on contract, compared to a Lumia 925/928, etc. And it's because, while these 2 devices from Samsung and HTC are "good", they're already outdated by almost a year. They have lesser hardware than their big-brother counterparts they were modeled after, and more importantly, lesser hardware than other new Windows Phone devices coming out today. Case in point... the Lumia 1020. 32 GB of built-in storage. The HTC has 8GB. No contest. Camera? No contest there either. At the stores, people see the specs. The sales reps present those specs not objectively, but as in "This one is better than that one because RAM (or camera, or storage, etc)".

Sprint can put these phones out and try to sell them, but the fact is that the devices are already being hidden in the corners of public stores. They're being buried in the online store at the bottom of pages. There's no advertising anywhere. I go to a movie theater, for example, and I see a Sprint advert for an HTC One, not the 8XT. This is why people don't think Sprint is taking it seriously. This is why it won't sell. It won't sell not because it's a mid-range device (because those certainly sell regardless of what high-spec techies want). It won't sell because Sprint just dipped its toe in the water again - they didn't take the dive. There's no reason right now to think that Sprint won't just drop support of the 8XT like they did the Arrive on WP7.

Once again, I know you can't personally change and affect that. For you, it's a case of "Don't shoot the messenger." The 8XT has gotten great reviews for the range of phone it is, and I'm sure the Samsung one will too, but they probably won't sell due to Sprint Corporate not being sincere about Windows Phone. They don't just sell because Sprint CEO wills them to without any sort of effort. It's not black and white like that. Wanna see a good example of marketing and serious, sincere dedication to a phone? Look at AT&T - they had a release party for the Lumia 1020. Sprint won't do that.

I will gladly be picking up a Samsung ATIV S Neo because of my own wants and reasons, but I can bet that it won't be because I saw it in an ad or at the top of any webpages.

TLDR; It's not you, Random, it's Sprint. The effort and sincerity for Windows Phone from THEM isn't visible.

Journeyman

This time around, it is even worse than with Windows Phone 7, in my opinion. The Arrive was 6 months late to the game, but it was at least, arguably, the best of the first generation phones.

This time, even the most generous observer has to say these are old phones. The HTC is actually a nice phone, but it is the mid gorund between the EOF AT&T product and the discontuned Tmobile product.  The Samsung Ativ has been available since January.

Actually, I'm fine with either phone Sprint will be offering, but the lack of enthusiasm for the platform is what worries me. My arrive is still sitting on 7.5 when there is no reason Sprint couldn't have offered a 7.8 update, let alone the other minor updates that fixed the keybaord and compass issues.  How can I get excited about mid-level options when I fear I'm going to be sitting on a Windows Phone 8 phone that is already 9 months old and will likely never see the GDR3 updates (heck, I'm worried that the Samsung Ativ Neo  will not even have the GDR2update that is already rolling out to the 9 month old Ativs given past experience....)

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat