cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation gone for Windows Mobile???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Navigation gone for Windows Mobile???

So I get a text from Sprint saying that on 10/1/13 Sprint Navigatioin & Telenave GPS Navigator will be removed from bundled & data add-on plans... mind you, I've been with Sprint for 17 years... so I go to the link provided:  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_more_about_GPS_Navigation_service_changes/7a563fd2-d...

Specifically "Windows®, Palm® and some Basic phone users will no longer have access to Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications.  Visit  Sprint.com/phones or your local Sprint store to check out alternative phones that will allow you to continue accessing navigation services."

Is this a ploy to discontinue Windows Mobile for Sprint?  For all of the other phones, alternative navigation systems were recommended, but for Windows Mobile the suggestion was made to get another phone?  What is going on?

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: Navigation gone for Windows Mobile???

tusconstephen,

Thank you for your post. I do understand your frustration. We are not trying to discontinue Windows Mobile on Sprint. Unfortunately we do not determine what applications will work with specific phones, that is determined by the phone manufacturer. At this time we do not have a navigation alternative for the Windows phones. If one is released it will be available in the market.

*Stephanie

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Thank you for your response... in light of this change, it seems to me that Sprint will waive the Early Termination Fee... as this is a material change substantiated by the fact that Sprint is advising me to get a different handset to utilize this service which was a selling point for my original purchases.  I have two handsets... one under contract and one that is out of contract.  I've been referred to 3rd party applications, but Sprint bears no responsibility of damage caused by a 3rd party app, so in my opinion, this change constitutes an action that is material in nature and should therefore allow for Early Termination, without an associated fee.

Certainly, if this was in place before purchase or implemented when the contract expired, I can understand that... but this is in the middle of an agreement.  I am aware the Sprint has the ability to make changes as it deems necessary, but changes that require me to purchase an alternative device to utilize services that were in place as selling features, do not meet the standard of Sprint holding up their side of the agreement.  "HTC Arrive TN 5.8 - Your device will no longer have access to the Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications. An error message will display when you try to use the app. Visit sprint.com/phones or your local Sprint store to learn about alternative devices capable of using navigation services. "

Very disappointed with this.  I have been a customer with Sprint for 18 years and this might be the last straw.

SM

Wizard

tusconstephen,

I do understand your frustration, however, the navigation feature was a part of the rate plan and was not in the contract. Because of this it is not considered a material change to your contract and does not constitue canceling without a termination fee.

*Stephanie

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear you're not trying to discontinue Windows phones from the Sprint system. My contract is up in January '14. I paid it off ahead of time in anticipation...or perhaps false hopes that Sprint would expand their Windows phone selection to include at least one of the top Nokia phones by January or February. If not, I'm afraid I'll be switching carriers for my next service contract. I don't really want to switch. My service has improved and the customer support has been good, professional, enthusiastic, and courteous, but I have so much of what I do, both professionally and personally that's tied to Windows, Skydrive and other Microsoft services and connecting through Android has limitations that just tick me off. I've been awaiting the end of my contract in order to get a phone with true integration so I can stop jumping through hoops to complete what I want to do...or worse yet, pull my laptop out in order to do what I need to do. Can I expect one or two of the top Nokia Windows phones to be offered by Sprint in say the next 3 months instead of the, well, I'll leave the adjective that best describes Sprint's current Windows phone offering to the imagination...and no, "wonderful" or "great" are at the other end of the spectrum from the adjective I'm thinking of... The bottom line is it's time to move into the current times with a phone that's drawing high marks in its reviews, such as the Nokia 1520 that I'm looking at right now in another tab of my browser that ATT is carrying.

I'm sure there's a lot of people like me who are Sprint customers who've waited on a good Windows phone for a while now, only to be disappointed that Sprint has not worked out some kind of agreement to start carrying these phones. I've had to make do with the Android system for 2+ years now, and I'm sure there are millions of people who just love it. I am not one of them. The phone I've been waiting for is now here, but not here on Sprint. If there's not some assurances that can be conveyed this is a VERY temporary situation, I'm afraid I'll be moving on in the near future.

Don't know if this gets read, but I figured I'd vent somewhere, since the salesmen at the Sprint store don't know either, or can't say. But I'm fully prepared to move on.

Thank you...and I sincerely hope Sprint responds positively to carrying the Nokia line so we can continue to do business in the future.

MJ

Master

flwelshman1,

Thank you for your post. I can definitely understand where you're coming from, as integrating all the devices that one uses certainly does make things easier. We're constantly evaluating different handsets to offer and work with each manufacturer closely to make sure that the devices are best suited for our customers. While we do not have any information on the devices you've specified, if anything became available it would be on Newsroom.Sprint.com first. We definitely appreciate your patience!

Dan
Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat