cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 920 supports Sprint out of the box?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nokia Lumia 920 supports Sprint out of the box?

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia920/specifications/

Nokia listed its radio bands it supports:

Bands

• GSM 850
  • GSM 900
  • GSM 1800
  • GSM 1900
  • WCDMA Band V (850)
  • WCDMA Band VIII (900)
  • WCDMA Band II (1900)
  • WCDMA Band I (2100)
  • LTE 800
  • LTE 900
  • LTE 1800
  • LTE 2100
  • LTE 2600

If this is true, it appears that I could buy an unlocked Lumia 920 and use it on Sprint's network (2G/3G/4G).  Does this look possible to you guys and can anyone confirm this?

This might be an alternative since Sprint stated they aren't getting another Windows Phone this year.  If you could buy the phone unlocked and use it on Sprint's Network, would you?

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 supports Sprint out of the box?

Good find. But are "W-CDMA" and Sprint's "CDMA" the same thing?  I don't know the difference. But before I jump ship to another carrier (after 12 years of multi lines with Sprint) I would like to know. I have bought my last two phones unlocked so that I could stay on my plan. I would do so again. But if Sprint doesn't get on the Nokia/WIN8 bandwagon at RTM (days/weeks away), I *WILL* be moving on!

Master

Wcdma is not used by Sprint   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA#Deployment

Journeyman

Darn my wishful thinking, I was hopefully because the freq seemed about right for Sprint's Network.

Journeyman

I'd love iy if Sprint would pick up the Lumia 920, looks like I'll have to puck between the Note 2 and LG Optimius G. Lets get some WP8 devices please Sprint.

Journeyman

I am in the same boat. Looks like I am moving to another carrier.

Journeyman

If you could buy the phone unlocked and use it on Sprint's Network, would you?

Sprint will actually refuse to activate a non-Sprint-branded phone on their network.

Journeyman

i heard sprint will be having windows phone 8 next year 2013 either in january or march 2013. since i still have htc arrive and still excellent phone and never have any problems and still fast and fluid i might just wait until upgrade of 7.8 if sprint will be having windows phone 8 than i will get a new phone. hope we do get 7.8 upgrade as at least it is better than nothing. for now since lumia 920 is selling like hotcakes i think sprint will realize to start getting on the wagon since sprint only carrier not have it yet. i just wish they stop getting android phones or iphone. i had many friends who have these phones wish they had windows phone now because they are tired of problems these phones have like laggyness, crashes, malware virues etc... funny part is they ask me why your phone is so fast with about 115 apps installed and works excellent. i told them windows phone OS is what makes this phone awesome! just look at the live tiles it so modern looking of today's mobile technology compare to boring icons that are dead on iphone or android phones. WP live tiles are alive and gives you instant info updates without opening an app.

So yes sprint will have windows phone 8 next year since they are selling like hotcakes.

Journeyman

i heard sprint will be having windows phone 8 next year 2013 either in january or march 2013. since i still have htc arrive and still excellent phone and never have any problems and still fast and fluid i might just wait until upgrade of 7.8 if sprint will be having windows phone 8 than i will get a new phone. hope we do get 7.8 upgrade as at least it is better than nothing. for now since lumia 920 is selling like hotcakes i think sprint will realize to start getting on the wagon since sprint only carrier not have it yet. i just wish they stop getting android phones or iphone. i had many friends who have these phones wish they had windows phone now because they are tired of problems these phones have like laggyness, crashes, malware virues etc... funny part is they ask me why your phone is so fast with about 115 apps installed and works excellent. i told them windows phone OS is what makes this phone awesome! just look at the live tiles it so modern looking of today's mobile technology compare to boring icons that are dead on iphone or android phones. WP live tiles are alive and gives you instant info updates without opening an app.

So yes sprint will have windows phone 8 next year since they are selling like hotcakes.

Journeyman

Journeyman

I want to make this clear. WCDMA is what AT&T and T-Mobile uses. AT&T and T-Mobile often refer to WCDMA as UMTS to help avoid confusion with CDMA2000 which is what Verizon Wireless and Sprint uses. Verizon Wireless and Sprint often refers to CDMA2000 as CDMA.

Journeyman

I'm guessing there's a contract dispute, and they don't want to promote the Windows phone while they unload all of the IP hone5s . It doesn't make any sense. Articles from a year ago were predicting Sprint and Nokia would launch the first windows phone, now nothing, no news, not a word from sprint.

I am predicting a launch of a Microsoft Phone on Sprint!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat