cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Windows Phone coming to Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Nokia Windows Phone coming to Sprint?

After 14 years with Sprint, and patiently waiting 3 years for Sprint to get with the program with a flagship Nokia (1520), I gave up. I am moving all but one of my lines to AT&T as we speak (and the last line will be moved soon after), and upgrading to the phenomenal Nokia 1520. You Sprint people have to be completely embarrassed for the lack of vision at your company!  Sprint is the most technophobic "technology" company I have ever seen! Your competitors are smoking you. AT&T is on it's 3rd or 5th generation of top-end Nokia devices .. Verizon too .. , and yet Sprint is still only offering a re-worked, 3 year old WP8 port of a Droid phone with 3 year old specs. Pathetic!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to assume per the SprintCare reps here that if Sprint were going to get a Nokia/Microsoft Windows Phone they would have announced it in the Newsroom they keep telling people to check out. Since no announcement, I think it is safe to say that means "No." So, I will be taking my 5 lines with me when I leave Sprint for a carrier that respects customer phone desires and offers a plethora of devices with a large 4G network (to include my area). Yes, other carriers (plural) over 4G in my area and have Windows Phones. Sprint has neither and keeps asking for patience without offering any incentive for that patience. I can't justify staying with Sprint. Even the Framily plan (which btw requires people to pay monthly installments per phone) is as expensive as the competing carriers. At least I can justify paying more for service by getting 4G. Sprint you have nothing I want except to keep the cost of my current plan, which you keep trying to get me to change. When I do change (soon) it will be because I did a cost-benefit analysis and realized I will get far more benefit for only slightly more money by switching carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can I just say, you all have hurt me with the comments posted in this thread!!!  LMAO!  I thought I was alone in this!  As I see the advertisements of the new Windows 8.1, I get really excited and hop online to Sprint.com to purchase a new phone and to my UNSURPRISE I can't get what I want.  It truly is frustrating for the average Windows Phone fan to see a company limit the choices for this platform.  I started out with the HTC Touch Pro 2 (Yawn...) and not too long after that switched over the the HTC EVO on the Android platform (Hated it and it crashed on me 6 months after I got it!!!).  Since the EVO crashed and I was not going to pay full price for another phone, I went back to the hated Touch Pro 2 until my contract ended.  I now have the HTC Arrive and it is ok.  Still lacks the apps I like to use and it is stuck on the Wondows 7.5 platform.  However, unlike others, I actually like my current phone and quite frankly wish I could just upgrade it to 8.1.  I like my slide-out keyboard, tilt screen, and actual phone size.  I did not like the new HTC Windows 8x phone so have been waiting to see what else is coming.  Its been over a year now and I want a new phone...even if I have to get rid of my slide-out keyboard.  BUT TO NO SURPRISE NOTHING IS BEING OFFERED!!!  How is it that everyone else has a fleet of options for Windows users and Sprint does not?  And why is Sprint only offering old model phones that came out in 2012?

I am a creature of habit and hate to change, but I am coming to an end with staying with a company that gives me very limited options when the competition tells me I don't have to settle. 

Journeyman

Last month, it was reported (Sprint CEO Dan Hesse had a $49 million payday last year - KansasCity.com) that Mr. Hesse is receiving a substantial sum ($49 million total) to run this company. I'd say Dan has a lot of "skin in this game", and won't be leaving anytime soon. After reading the news yesterday that Microsoft completed its acquisition of Nokia (a $7.2 billion dollar deal), it's crystal clear to see that Microsoft now has a lot of "skin" in this same game, too. With both of these industry giants here for the long-haul, it's sad to see that Mr. Hesse is so disinterested in Microsoft's long-term game--even though Sprint will be a major player on the same field for the foreseeable future.

Though I'm a very happy Android user on the HTC EVO 4G LTE handset, I've had my eye on the Windows Phone platform for many months now, and am finally ready to give Microsoft a try. In light of the major Microsoft/Nokia news yesterday, I ran to Sprint's website to investigate their line of Windows Phones. Surely, this Microsoft deal is a big deal to them, too? After all, Windows Phone has gathered exceptional reviews, and Nokia's reputation for hardware is superb. As everyone has stated above, I disappointingly found almost nothing on Sprint's website, and of course, nothing in the "Newsroom" section, either. I have three lines with Sprint, and my two-year contract is about to expire soon. As a professional I.T. worker, I am dying to give the Windows Phone OS a try as several of my colleagues have already done. At this point, though, I can't. Sprint has almost nothing to offer me. Mr. Hesse, before you lose my three lines, StivX's five lines above this post, and countless others who are looking for your leadership on the Microsoft/Nokia future possibilities through Sprint, could you kindly take a few minutes to actually read what your customers (us) are actually saying to you? I don't blame the Social Care employees on this site--they're being sent to the front lines to perform a no-win mission: to assuage pissed-off customers(who are more-than-ready to jump ship to AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon), by offering exactly zero bits of information to keep them on Sprint. Mr. Hesse, your silence speaks volumes. If you're company isn't impressed at all with the Microsoft/Nokia merger, and your bottom-line is more-than fulfilled by phones from Apple, Samsung, HTC and others, please at least TELL US, so we're not trying to hang-on to some "announcement" that may never come, because your company clearly has almost no expressed interest in doing business with Microsoft's Windows Phone platform.

I will absolutely not "re-up" my next contract for my three lines until I hear of your position on the Windows Phone platform. I hope you'll announce it (or the lack thereof) shortly. I'm actually happy with my Sprint signal here in Central Florida, and my Airave handles my home signal just fine. Your lack of Windows Phone interest will be the deal breaker for me, though. Social Care, can one of you please forward this up-the-chain, to Mr. Hesse's group? Surely, someone has to explain to Dan that this Microsoft/Nokia is actually a Big Deal to a lot of us...even if it's not to Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's some things you should all know.

1. you are dealing with an oligopolay, super close to a monopoly.

2. cell phone companies just had a price war which is why many of you have unlimited bandwidth.

3. cell phone providers just a a price signal (not collusion) saying charge all clients for data usage like it was in old time days.

There are 3 major players in the cell phone industry.  They don't care about you.  If they lose you now they will get you back in 2 years.  If you are about to leave over the windows phone they appreciate it because the next company will get you for data fees the next 2 years and sprint will get you for the data fees the next 2 years.  There are no rules against executives owning one anothers' stocks.  i.e. Sprint's CEO probably has Window's stock right now.

Their goal is to get every dime out of you right?

They're doing this by moving everyone back to the non-unlimited plans.  Not one major company offers it anymore.  The only exception is iwireless, straight talk, and a few others.

The only thing you can do is stick with your provider as along as possible if you have an unlimited plan.

If you do not have an unlimited plan you need to switch to straight talk, or another provider which does offer unlimited.

boycott is the ONLY power anyone has, so use it wisely.

Why do you think the people who answer these things for sprint know nothing?  Because they know how to smooth things over, but have no logical sense, they are tools.  Plenty of them these days, dime a dozen as they say.

If everyone does that we might make it out ahead, but y'all won't listen to this anyways so who cares

Highlighted
Journeyman

@SprintCare it's pretty simple all I have been given was the choice between a static Android (because you guys do not update the OS on android phones once the initial rollout is done) and iOS which is a child's phone. We finally get what professionals have begged for for almost 10 years and I cannot even get a device that will correctly utilize Windows Phone 8 features? All anyone wants is a nokia phone. Almost 3 years we have asked for this to be met with "check the newsroom for announcements" I pay you guys 80 dollars a month. I use less than 120 minutes a month of phone time, I send about 600 texts (on a busy month) and I use less than 100 MB of data because I am always on wi-fi. I pay 10 dollars a month for "premium data" 4G that I have almost never gotten to work. I am currently using an HTC Evo 4G and the phone is just atrocious. I am only continually using it because I REFUSE to sign another 2 year contract with you lousy crooks until you give me a nokia. September will be my last month with sprint if they do not get a nokia phone. Even the 525 would be better than the HTC 8x and Samsung Ativ.

You want to make my experience better? Quit selling crappy android phones that have to be rooted just to get your crap bloatware off of them and start selling Nokia phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the HTC touch pro and Arrive. I now have the Samsung Ativ S Neo updated to Windows Phone 8.1 I can say that I'm happy for the moment, but I would like to have a Nokia Lumia 1520 variant for Sprint. Now that Microsoft owns Nokia phone division, there should be no problem with Sprint getting some later. Sprint suppose to be sending the Windows Phone 8.1 update for the HTC 8XT and Samsung Ativ S Neo this summer but I couldn't wait. I have a video here showing how to get the update and a review of some of the features.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I heard a rumor that Sprint is getting another Windows Phone soon.  I haven't heard if its a Nokia phone, or Samsung or HTC (although I haven't heard of any new Windows Phones from Samsung or HTC so maybe it's Nokia).  I'm just hoping its a high end phone (at least a 9xx series if not higher) maybe even a low end and a high end would be nice.  Although seeing how Sprint has treated Windows Phone in the past I can see them getting a 5xx series.  The thing is in other countries the 5xx series has sold well but here in the US people want the high end phones.  So if Windows Phone doesn't sell well I can see Sprint blaming Windows Phone instead of because they didn't get a phone that people wanted.  Also sales people at Sprint (and Verizon and AT&T as well) push Android and iphones so when you ask about a Windows Phone they try and talk you into an Android or iphone which isn't giving Windows Phone a good chance.  I would rather have it so when you sign in at a Sprint store if they'd ask "do you know what phone you want" and if someone says "a Windows Phone" they would get someone who knows Windows Phone and will talk positive about it.

Sprint screwed up so badly getting the iphone for $20 billion.  They bought the iphone when it was saturated on AT&T and Verizon so they mainly sold to people who already have Sprint and probably didn't add that many new users like they had hoped.  I saw this happening.  If they would have spent the money on infrastructure they would have been way better than AT&T and very close to the coverage that Verizon has, but they looked at the short term and went with the iphone and are screwed with a sub par network that they're slowly trying to upgrade.  I use to think Dan Hesse was good for Sprint but he's made many mistakes in the past few years.  I hear that IF Sprint does buy T-Mobile that the CEO of T-Mobile will become the CEO of the new company and that would probably be for the best.  If they end up not buying T-Mobile I think the board should kick Dan Hesse to the curb because he's not helping Sprint any by making deals that cost them boat loads of money with no positive progress.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First, I will like you to post a link to the rumor because if Sprint gets a high end Windows Phone by Nokia, they can have my money right now! That's only if the rumor ends up being true and not a phone from Samsung or HTC. I hope Sprint knows the Windows Phone 8.1 update does not count as new Windows phones for Sprint LOL. As for T-mobile CEO taking over if SprinT-Mobile merger go through, I think its a great idea! Maybe we will get someone in charge that listens to the customers. And hopfully they will get rid of some of the reps who know nothing about diversity in phone OS and hire people that do! Getting the IPhone was a gamble that was suppose to benefit Sprint in the long run but ending up costing them dearly. Bad business move! This is why Sprint employees are trained to get as many customers to buy the IPhone as possible. I recently went to a Sprint store asking about Windows Phones and to no surprise the employees were trying to get me to buy an IPhone or Android phone. When I asked them if they knew anything about Windows Phones, they said they knew nothing about it. Most Sprint stores do not have Windows Phone inside of them. You have to buy them online! Sprint will jump on the band wagon more when the Windows Phone market share go up some more which it is doing. Windows Phone is the third largest eco system globally with IPhone being second and Android being Number One.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I strongly agree with the common consensus here. Sprint, you’ve got to pay attention to the people that keep your lights on.

@DANIADR, your statement “We are always looking to add new inventory to our line of phones” is false. If this were true, you would be carrying the Nokia phones for Windows.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I keep going back and forth with whether to do the upgrade to 8.1.  I cant help but thinking something will go wrong with my phone and I will be screwed by Sprint for doing the early upgrade.  I also am debating doing it because I have no memory left and I cant help but think that most of the space on my phone is being taken up by some sort of fragmentation.  The numbers don't add up.  I have no music or video on it anymore, less than 500MB of pics (and that only because it wont recognize my SD card format anymore) and have remove over half the apps I had and yet I have less than 300 MB of available space on my phone.  The number is off by over 1.5 GB and I don't know why the OS is taking 3 GB now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Reception near my house is usually ok, I am in zip code 77573.  But anywhere south of 96 (League City Pkwy) is a dead zone.  the major cross road would be I-45.  The further south you go down I-45, the worse the reception.  The further east or west of I-45, the worse the reception.  (This is all still zip code 77573) When I am on League City Parkway (FM96), data is hit or miss, but when I get south of there it becomes almost non-existent.  When I get to the next exit (FM646), all data is 100% gone.  The sad part is, there is a sprint store at I-45 and 646 (where I bought my last two phones).  I have told them many times in the store about the complete lack of reception.  They are usually too busy trying to tell me how great Androids or iPhones are to listen.

Also, even when I have strong reception, my phone almost never seems to show a 4G connection when I look.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat