cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official HTC SMS 2016 Fix

Master

Official HTC SMS 2016 Fix

HTC has published the OFFICIAL fix for the year 2016 SMS bug on Sprint phones.

Diamond users can click here.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/touch-diamond-sprint/downloads/

Touch Pro users can click here.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/touch-pro-sprint/downloads/

Would have posted in the thread, but due to some users, it was closed.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
29 REPLIES 29
Master

Re: Official HTC SMS 2016 Fix

After it's brief release on Thursday HTC pulled it from it's website a bit later. On Friday though, HTC had put it back online for good. Apparently Thursday was too early for users to have an Official fix for the SMS 2016 bug.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

What about those of us suffering this bug on the Palm Treo Pro?  Will either of those fixes work?

Master

You would have to try it, but I don't believe so. A buddy tried it on their phone with a custom ROM and it refused to install whereas on mine wit hthe stock ROM it installed fine.

--

Journeyman

Thanks.  I've applied Ziggy's 2016 SMS Fix to my Treo Pro (after a hard reset *grumble* but at least everything's nice and snappy now), and everything's working fine now.

Master

Yeah, those fixes will work for any new messages received, but they won't do anything to fix any messages that were received prior to the CAB install. So if you get it installed early enough, you won't have any problems or anything to worry about.

The official fix however goes a step further and fixes any messages already received and corrects the date on those as well. Again, not a big deal if you haven't gotten any messages prior to applying Ziggy's or anyone elses CAB fix.

--

Journeyman

FYI

i downloaded the official fix yesterday and it did not fix prior messages.

in addition, messages from within the past ~10m prior to applying the fix disappeared.

finally, since applying it, timestamps do now show up correctly but i've noticed new incoming texts do not move to the top of the conversation list.

to explain further, if i have 10 contacts with past SMS history, 6 of which i can see in my SMS inbox at any time because of my particular view settings, and someone sends me a text that's not in those top 6, i have to scroll down to get to it.  this did not occur prior to this patch.  most recent texts would move the conversation/contact to the top of the list.

**edit** i just realized that it's because the fix did not change the date on prior messages that current conversations do not move to the top of the list -- because as with spam email, the future-year of 2016 will always be more recent than the most recent text you get in 2010.  thus i have a bunch of conversations from before the fix that are still marked 2016.  to resolve this, i can either delete the 2016 conversations, or send/receive a message to/from that contact (yes i just tested both send and receive work to move the conversation to its proper place in chronological, timestamped order with the rest).

Master

Halfmoon:

That is a side effect of the patch. It does not go through and fix old messages, it fixes the way new messages are shown. Gonig wit hthat, those messagesd with the 2016 date are going to stay at the top since it sorts by time received. The date in 2016 is always going to be newer than the current date in 2010 (At least for 6 years). To fix that issue you would have to delete theose text messages that came in with the 2016 date on them. Otherwise you are always going to have to scroll past them.

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr,

thanks.  that was a quick response.  i was editing my original post with an "oh duh" while you were replying apparently.

the reason i mentioned that the official fix did not change the date on prior messages is that smotrs specifically states that it does in the post above mine.

Journeyman

HTC's patch is a reverse engineered version of my offical final release of my 2016 patch found on http://www.bikeswithspikes.com/ziggy

They put a few other additions to my fix in it but it has created other issues shuch as effecting picture mail and removal of old junk file( deleted text messages)

I have contacted HTC personaly about this and they have yet to reply, so if they are going to take credit for my patch they could atleast serve it up by it'/s self because the other fixes they released with mine are creating more issues than resolving

~Ziggy~

Master

Strangely enough, it seemed to work fine on mine.

--

Journeyman

Hmmm.. So I have ah HTC mogul 6.1 With spb mobile shell running will either of those patches work for me and do they require a hard reset? I am thinkin if they need a hard reset it may just stay 2016 in my inbox since I am upgrading in October anyways. Anyone else try the fix on a mogul running 6.1 or a custom rom?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat