cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PETITION: Stop blocking MMS on PDA and Smartphone devices!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: PETITION: Stop blocking MMS on PDA and Smartphone devices!

SaltyDawg, you have point.  I also read that hacks were developed to make the feature work.  Without knowing the true details about why this was subsequently blocked, I can only speculate.  Sometimes a device or system is not specifically designed to use or allow a certain feature.  Perhaps it is due to technical issues in the device and planned in a future firmware update.  Perhaps it is due to parts of the system (or network) not fully compatible.  Again, I'm not referring to this specific issue since I don't know, but being a techno-geek, I read quite a bit about different types of technology.  I have heard of many instances when a product is designed to do something but left out until specific bugs are worked out.  So now think about someone hacking into a device or system and making something work before it is truly ready to work.  Then you start getting incompatibility issues, calls into customer service, decreased system performance due to reduced resources, etc.  I'll see if I can get a better answer, but I am fairly certain that Sprint will not support hacks or any other unsupported software or features.  That's not just Sprint.  That's any company who creates a product that is not used the way it was designed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@RFTech wrote:
SaltyDawg, you have point. I also read that hacks were developed to make the feature work. Without knowing the true details about why this was subsequently blocked, I can only speculate. Sometimesa device or system is not specifically designed to use or allow a certain feature. Perhaps it is due to technical issues in the device and planned in a future firmware update. Perhaps it is due to parts of the system (or network) not fully compatible. Again, I'm not referring to this specific issue since I don't know, but being a techno-geek, I read quite a bit about different types of technology. I have heard of many instances when a product is designed to do something but left out until specific bugs are worked out. So now think about someone hacking into a device or system and making something work before it is truly ready to work. Then you start getting incompatibility issues, calls into customer service, decreased system performance due to reduced resources, etc. I'll see if I can get a better answer, but I am fairly certain that Sprint will not support hacks or any other unsupported software or features. That's not just Sprint. That's any company who creates a product that is not used the way it was designed.

We call it a "hack" but it wasn't really a "hack" at all. It was actually the MMS app that was installed on the Verizon device (identical to the Sprint) with the Sprint server settings instead of the Verizon 9sort of like Outlook- you enter your server settings).

This was also installed on the Verizon 6700, and the community installed it on the Sprint 6700 and it worked for a few years until Sprint disabled it.

So when you see people refer to it as a "hack" it's not a hack in the normal sense. It's an app that was designed to run on a Windows Mobile device, and it's end user configurable to make it work on any network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SaltyDawg wrote:

We call it a "hack" but it wasn't really a "hack" at all. It was actually the MMS app that was installed on the Verizon device (identical to the Sprint) with the Sprint server settings instead of the Verizon 9sort of like Outlook- you enter your server settings).

This was also installed on the Verizon 6700, and the community installed it on the Sprint 6700 and it worked for a few years until Sprint disabled it.

So when you see people refer to it as a "hack" it's not a hack in the normal sense. It's an app that was designed to run on a Windows Mobile device, and it's end user configurable to make it work on any network.

We're talking about 3 parts to the puzzle... the device, the application, and the network.  Although the neither the device nor the application was (technically) hacked, the mere definition of the word (a quick, elaborate way to circumvent a technical obstacle) does apply to what was done to the network.  An application was installed that was not part of the package and, therefore, not supported.  Perhaps the Network Development folks allowed it for as long as they did to monitor how it affected the network.  Or perhaps it was cut off in order to implement some other feature or improve performance.  Or, like IronHelix said, it could have been a licensing issue with ArcSoft.  The equipment used by Sprint is different than what Verizon uses.  There are different features and different capabilities.  This is why you often have to identify your carrier when purchasing software that utilizes the network and doesn't just reside on the device or sync with your PC.  We can probably go back and forth on this for a while but it seems a moot point.  As indicated in my first post, Sprint has every intention to officially support MMS on WinMo and Blackberry devices.  Obviously this left a bad taste for everyone who expected it out of the box with the new device.  I know my brother-in-law did, and so do I.  I planned on going to the Mogul as well but am going to use my Palm a while longer.  Its just not beat up enough to justify switching yet.  Sprint wants to give what customers want and be better than the competition.  Leaving out features to enable others is sometimes an unfortunate result of this mission.  I have posted your questions to ND and will let you know what I hear back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I signed up here just to sign the petition. I recently bought a Mogul and would like to be able to use MMS or picture mail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sign my name to this petition! I have an HTC Mogul, and it's completely unfair thatI cannot use MMS on my phone when identical models are capable of MMS on other providers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I want MMS on my Touch!!

Journeyman

Sprint would like to provide an update in response to recent inquiries about sending pictures from Sprint’s Windows Mobile devices to other mobile phones.  Currently Sprint’s Windows Mobile devices support sending/receiving pictures between any valid email address and receiving Sprint Picture Mail pictures from mobile phones via text messaging.  Picture Mail pictures received via text messaging appear as a URL that is viewable from the Windows Mobile device’s Web browser.  Sprint currently does not offer the capability to send pictures to other mobile phones by entering the mobile number to share photos.  To address this issue, we are currently working on two solutions:

1. We expect to offer a free Picture Mail software download later this year that will enable all customers with existing Windows Mobile 6 devices to send pictures to other mobile phone numbers (normal usage fees will apply). 
  2. Beginning later this year, all future Windows Mobile device models from Sprint will be preloaded with the full Picture Mail application. 

In the interim we would like to remind customers that pictures can be shared from Windows Mobile devices to any email account via the Options/Send menu on the device.  Pictures can also be shared from Windows Mobile devices through the use of Bluetooth, beaming and synchronization capabilities, and removable memory cards.  We will continue to communicate updates here as the exact timelines and solutions are finalized.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

YESSS!!!! This is very good news and I've marked it as an 'accepted solution' to direct others past the 30+ pages...

I also note that Sprint generally avoids making such announcements before a product is shipping, hopefully this policy is changing...

I am hoping the upcoming MMS software will be well-integrated into WinMo the way ArcSoft is. I'm a bit disappointed that it's Picture Mail and not real MMS (as with MMS you can send other types of files like videos, ringtones, etc).

Also curious what is to become of BlackBerry users who want MMS. As a former BB user, and one who might again be a BB user, PLEASE don't try to port picturemail to BB. Just turn on the MMS service book and be done with it, or at least offer this option for people who would prefer the efficiency of a single inbox over whatever extra functionality Picture Mail offers.

That said, thanks Tristan for making our voices heard internally and delivering a response.

Highlighted
Journeyman

IronHelix wrote:
YESSS!!!! This is very good news and I've marked it as an 'accepted solution' to direct others past the 30+ pages...

I also note that Sprint generally avoids making such announcements before a product is shipping, hopefully this policy is changing...

I am hoping the upcoming MMS software will be well-integrated into WinMo the way ArcSoft is. I'm a bit disappointed that it's Picture Mail and not real MMS (as with MMS you can send other types of files like videos, ringtones, etc).

Also curious what is to become of BlackBerry users who want MMS. As a former BB user, and one who might again be a BB user, PLEASE don't try to port picturemail to BB. Just turn on the MMS service book and be done with it, or at least offer this option for people who would prefer the efficiency of a single inbox over whatever extra functionality Picture Mail offers.

That said, thanks Tristan for making our voices heard internally and delivering a response.

So I guess I shouldn't waste my time trying to get anymore information since apparently everthing I posted here earlier was ignored.  Thanks, SaltyDawg, for at least reading what I had to say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RFTech, your post wasn't ignored, it was much appreciated. Tristans was the first in this thread which seemed to have an official committment though, and also committed to making Picture Mail available for existing devices.

I hope my post hasn't turned you off BAW, any Sprinties that post here and try to get us info are most appreciated...

Highlighted
Journeyman

IronHelix wrote:
RFTech, your post wasn't ignored, it was much appreciated. Tristans was the first in this thread which seemed to have an official committment though, and also committed to making Picture Mail available for existing devices.

I hope my post hasn't turned you off BAW, any Sprinties that post here and try to get us info are most appreciated...

No, I haven't been turned off of BAW.  I joined this forum to do everything I can to help Sprint's customers.  Like any large company, we have some internal issues to work out.  But I also believe we have what it takes to be an outstanding wireless provider.  My responses came from official channels, though I admit that the response from Tristan seems to be more official considering he is an Admin.  Still, I indicated where I got my information (the powers above, aka upper management) and hoped that it was enough to relieve some animosity.  I'm making my way through parts of the company that I had not previously communicated with and am trying to develop relationships with key individuals in an effort to provide factual support.  I will not mislead anyone with made up answers.  That's not what I'm about and it just leads to more problems.  I will make educated guesses based on my experience but will also let you know that it is what it is.  It appears that this particular thread has a solution and no longer needs input from me.  I suspect, however, that people will continue to post until the solution is actually up and running.  I didn't, afterall, read all 37 previous pages of posts so this information will be buried soon enough.  Hopefully, everyone will see your tag.  Thanks for starting this thread.  It was a good experience for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm glad to hear it. I agree Sprint has what it takes, but has a lot of issues to work through.

When I said official- what I meant was it sounded like an announcement/committment. You probably both know and are authorized to say the same or similar things, but I take things I read on forums very literally. I re-read your post and it actually was pretty good, but I think the thing that stood out from Tristan's was "Sprint would like to provide an update" AKA this comes down the official PR channel and is a real announcement, not just someone official making a casual update.

Your efforts to establish 'digging channels' are also appreciated... One of Sprint's main flaws is customer communication. Everything is hidden behind a veil of 'corporate security' and as a result we have no idea what's actually going on. This can be (and has been) taken to silly extremes, for example when the Mogul (PPC-6800) first launched. BAW was around back then. EVERYBODY knew about the 6800, knew its specs, but had no idea what was going on with the product or when it would be released. Yet Sprint continued to act like it didn't exist until the day it was announced, despite many forum users begging for any sort of info so they could make a purchasing decision.
Sprint needs to become more open and forthcoming. People are smart, if we see what's actually going on it becomes a lot easier to tolerate problems (knowing why the problem is and what's causing it).

I'm glad Sprint is listening to this forum and that I could in some way get the ball rolling and hopefully make things better. It's been a good experience for me too!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat