cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PETITION: Stop blocking MMS on PDA and Smartphone devices!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

PETITION: Stop blocking MMS on PDA and Smartphone devices!

For a long time, Sprint's smart devices (PPC-6700, Mogul, various BlackBerries, Moto Q, etc) have lacked a basic feature that even the low end phones all have: MMS. Every other phone or smart device, low or high end, by every other carrier and manufacturer, has MMS ability. Yet Sprint has decided that the highest-end customers of Sprint don't need MMS. Why?

From the recent BAW Chat session,
mluria : Hi David, glad you are answering our questions. My question is this: Why doesn't Sprint's smartphones offer MMS when US Cellular, Alltel and Verizon do? I refer to the Blackberry 8130 and the Moto Q and Q9c

David Owens : We have in the past made the business decision to not use our picturemail platform for PDA OS's due to complexity. There are many ways to share pictures on those platforms which is our recommended approach. PDA's receive MMS messages with no issues.

I have a hard time with this answer. Not that I'm saying it's a lie, I'm sure they believe it, but that doesn't make it valid. Where is the complexity? Is it for the user, having to deal with 3 mailboxes (MMS, SMS, Email)? Is it for Sprint, having to integrate the MMS software into PDA firmware? My guess is that when dealing with a PDA, they can't incorporate any Sprint UI design into the MMS system so they just scrap it entirely...

Well the result surely can't be much more complicated- the recommended approach is to figure out what carrier your friends use, then email your pics as attachments to TenDigitPhoneNuimber@gateway.theircarrier.com ie 12223334444@messaging.sprintpcs.com. IMHO, it doesn't get much more complicated or un-intuitive than that.

Most average users who I explain this to look at me like I've just turned green- the concept of a $200 cell phone without MMS is so absurd they think I'm joking. Their next question is usually something like "why the hell do you still have Sprint then? Get Tmobile or AT&T..."
In all my time at BAW and before that surfing various other sites, blogs and forums, I have yet to find ONE SINGLE PERSON that supports this policy, that would rather NOT have the ability to send MMS. I suspect there may be a few IT managers that would rather not have it on their fleets, but doesn't it make more sense to block it for them than kill it for everybody?

There has been some success integrating MMS packages from other carriers into Sprint's windows mobile devices. However this does nothing for BlackBerry users (8130), who can't MMS at all without the appropriate service books, which are fully controlled by Sprint.

So the request of this petition is simple: Abolish this backwards policy. Publicly state that never again will Sprint cripple MMS out of a PDA. Then start fixing the PROBLEM (yes this is a problem) for current PDAs-
For the Windows Mobile PDAs (Mogul, 6700, Q) this could be as simple as a .CAB file which adds MMS ability. Then roll it into the next firmware update.
For blackberries it's even easier- just turn on the service book for MMS ability. The ability is already built into BlackBerryOS, it just has to be allowed by the service book.

Or as an alternative, allow a way around it. Provide an official .CAB file to add MMS to windows mobile devices, and let people get the blackberry MMS service books by calling support if they want it. But either way, don't make Sprint users UNABLE to do what every other user of every other carrier can.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: PETITION: Stop blocking MMS on PDA and Smartphone devices!

Sprint would like to provide an update in response to recent inquiries about sending pictures from Sprint’s Windows Mobile devices to other mobile phones.  Currently Sprint’s Windows Mobile devices support sending/receiving pictures between any valid email address and receiving Sprint Picture Mail pictures from mobile phones via text messaging.  Picture Mail pictures received via text messaging appear as a URL that is viewable from the Windows Mobile device’s Web browser.  Sprint currently does not offer the capability to send pictures to other mobile phones by entering the mobile number to share photos.  To address this issue, we are currently working on two solutions:

1. We expect to offer a free Picture Mail software download later this year that will enable all customers with existing Windows Mobile 6 devices to send pictures to other mobile phone numbers (normal usage fees will apply). 
  2. Beginning later this year, all future Windows Mobile device models from Sprint will be preloaded with the full Picture Mail application. 

In the interim we would like to remind customers that pictures can be shared from Windows Mobile devices to any email account via the Options/Send menu on the device.  Pictures can also be shared from Windows Mobile devices through the use of Bluetooth, beaming and synchronization capabilities, and removable memory cards.  We will continue to communicate updates here as the exact timelines and solutions are finalized.

View solution in original post

433 REPLIES 433
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am glad you brought this up. I was about to post something about it. I think it's absolutely absurd that the people paying the most for the phones, and in my opinion are probably a little more savvy with phones, are the ones who don't get such a basic feature. I want to buy the Q9c, but i think it is a really bad move on Sprint to remove MMS for no reason when the exact same model from Verizon will have MMS.
Anyone from Sprint care to chime in?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wouldn't say there blocking it, they just choose not to implement it. Hopefully whomever succeeds David Owens will feel differently about us business PDA types and feel we should have the privilege as any dumbphone has to send a picture through the air. I love how he mentioned they receive just fine. I guess he's comfortable in his position on the topic and is oblivious to the customer's position on the topic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. It is silly for Sprint to block this feature. Silly is not the right word... annoying and a bad business decision. How can Sprint say that they want to improve thier customer service and they don't even listen to what the customers want?
Enable MMS on Smartphone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i think blocking is the right word, at least it is for the blackberry. BlackBerryOS includes MMS, but Sprint turns it off by not sending the service book for it. Thats an active decision to to remove it, not a 'we don't want to bother installing it' like you could say for the WM5/6 devices.

Actually I am hoping that David Owens is going to be the one to fix this. His response said 'in the past' and he just started in his position a month or so ago, so hopefully this will change... here's to hoping it changes sooner rather than later.

as for the right word, i'd go with-
annoying
brain-dead
bass-ackwards
moronic
customer-unfriendly
unwise
inconsiderate
shortsighted...

Message Edited by IronHelix on 11-30-2007 08:43 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Their response makes no sense at all. If they want to appeal to a broader market, they had better get on the ball and add it in. Especially on devices like the Touch, that are supposed to compete with the iPhone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you know what the killer is? I was just searching the Sprint support site on MMS and the Blackberry 8830 has the MMS feature but their new 8130 Pearl doesn't. I am totally shocked and pisst off.
RIM makes the feature available on its platform so what technical problems could they have. It is a load of crap.
Make sure you are rating and reviewing your phone on BAW. Tell Sprint what you really think. Email Customer Service. The more people that complain the better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, the sad thing is that Sprint, a huge company with a cubic-butt-ton of programmers and such can't seem to implement MMS, but a few guys with a little know how over on XDA and PPCGeeks and figure it out and make a "3rd party app" that can do it? I think its one of the best CAB files out there... to bad it is a "MMS Hack"... There really is no excuse for it, but then again look a the Mogul... It's been out for how long? 5 months? With 3 ROM updates now and there are still problems? Or the fact they the promised Rev A "Fall 2007" and couldn't deliver, now we are looking at 1Q2008 and that isn't even a guarantee...Maybe MMS really is to hard for them... But I am not sure where the got their pansy programmers from, but in the real IT world, they would no longer have jobs...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ill tell you what, if Sprint can incorporate the Sprint music store into a ROM you can bet your *bleep* that they can do the same with Arcsoft MMS.

Alltel did it and it works great. I used the Alltel mogul rom on my sprint mogul ( How does that make you feel sprint? ) and the MMS works flawlessly. As a matter of fact, the Alltel rom doesnt have half of the problems the sprint ones do.

Two more months until my contract is up and Im can canceling and going to Alltel.

Way to go sprint, you just lost a 4 year customer with no late payments over this whole mogul thing.

You ripped me off and that really burns my *bleep*.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My personal opinion is that the Sprint MMS implementation would require an entire overhaul to make it work correctly. The MMS that Altell, AT&T, and Verizon uses sends an actual message to the phone, not a link to a website to view the picture. I believe this is where the problem lies. Sprint hacked up some basic functioning MMS and pushed that and it would require either the replacement or reprogramming of all of their current phones in order for this to work correctly, IMO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@tavella wrote:
My personal opinion is that the Sprint MMS implementation would require an entire overhaul to make it work correctly. The MMS that Altell, AT&T, and Verizon uses sends an actual message to the phone, not a link to a website to view the picture. I believe this is where the problem lies. Sprint hacked up some basic functioning MMS and pushed that and it would require either the replacement or reprogramming of all of their current phones in order for this to work correctly, IMO.

I disagree with this... all the other phones get MMS normally which suggests Sprint is capable of sending normal MMS messages. It's a network-side thing, and they can set it per-phone.

Now if they released a .cab with MMS tomorrow, they'd probably need some way of tracking who installed it so they'd know to send that user real MMS instead of web links. This could probably be done with some kind of registration; when you install it, it tells the server that it's installed.

Blackberry is even easier though. Just update everybody's service books, and then update their account profiles to give them real MMS. Easy++

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lack of threaded SMS & MMS are the two things keeping me from jumping on the Q9c...come on Sprint!
Anybody from Sprint got anything about this?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat